What's new

Bench vs Starters (discussion thread)

For my money....
Mo is way better than any of his backups.
Foye is not as good as hayward. (and i think burks could be better than foye in the long run)
Marvin is not as good as demarre.
Millsap and favors are pretty close right now (when sap plays like he can), but favors will probably be better in the long run.
Jefferson is a little better than kanter right now, but i think kanter will be better than jefferson in the long run.

This should've been a blow out. I'm disgusted with our starters for that garbage down the stretch. Check out these +/-'s

https://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400278017

And before any of you Jefferson/Corbin fans say "Well the Jazz bench was going against the Lakers bench", bull***. Only two Lakers starters had positive +/-'s (+1 and +2). Apply some simple logic and you'll see that our bench went against their starters quite often throughout the game.
I'm assuming this thread stems from this post in the game thread. Norm makes a good point as Howard and Kobe played 43 and 42 min.

I thought Foye on Kobe was obvious. Kobe was calling for it as soon as Foye came in. On the flip side I thought Marvin did a great job on him early on. Kanter had a great game on both sides of the court.

For my money....
Mo is way better than any of his backups.
Foye is not as good as hayward. (and i think burks could be better than foye in the long run)
Marvin is not as good as demarre.
Millsap and favors are pretty close right now (when sap plays like he can), but favors will probably be better in the long run.
Jefferson is a little better than kanter right now, but i think kanter will be better than jefferson in the long run.

mo starts cause he is obviously better......from there i think corbin decides it by age.

Foye is older than hayward.
Marvin is older than demarre.
Millsap older than favors.
Jefferson older than kanter.
All wings are older than burks so he never gets to play.

starters tire the opposition and if u have a good bench, they take over the game. never changes.

Sooooo couldnt you just start the bench, which would tire the other teams starters, and then bring in our starters to take over the game?

Sooooo couldnt you just start the bench, which would tire the other teams starters, and then bring in our starters to take over the game?

that would be a gamble coz there is a reason why a player is starter and the other is not. jazz have a unique advantage because of their bench. if the starters can hold the opposition off for a decent level, the bench players like kanter, favors, carroll, watson, jamaal and so can out play the opposition and turn the game. I think it's the secret behind jazz'z success. but I'm not saying it's what it's meant to be, I mean most of them are also starter quality players.

did you guys notice everyone in the starting line-up had a negative and everyone off the bench was a positive?

Its not that surprising. Lakers bench is god-awful, probably one of the worst in the league.

And their down two starters to boot, so they're playing 3rd stringers off an already bad bench.

Meanwhile, we have one of the better benches in the league.

Lakers have one of the worst benches in the NBA, we have one of the better ones. We should be stomping them when the benches are playing each other.

cyrone and lunatic, don't disagree but its not like the benches just play against each other and the starters just play against the starters. it gets mixed and starters are playing bench players all the time. yet the plus/minus was pretty clear.

cyrone and lunatic, don't disagree but its not like the benches just play against each other and the starters just play against the starters. it gets mixed and starters are playing bench players all the time. yet the plus/minus was pretty clear.

Sure there's a few minute overlap, but majority of the minutes they play together.

Lakers had to play Kobe and Howard over 40 minutes each last night just to have a fighting chance. Our bench should have all been in double digits +/- against their D-League scrubs.

p.s. Somehow, some way, this is all Jefferson and Corbin's fault. Fire^99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

JFS&G I'd like to see a hand count on everybody on JF that believe our bench would beat the starting unit.

Starters vs. Bench
Jefferson Kanter
Millsap Favors
Marvin Demarre
Foye Hayward
Mo Tinsley

I say 1st team wins more than 80% of the time.

By far the Lakers best +/- player was Hill +9 off the bench. Worst was Jamison, -17, a starter.
The opposite is true for the Jazz. Carroll, bench, +15. Foye, starter, -9.

Most games the bench has an advantage, but nobody knows how terrible the lakers bench is better that D'Antoni, so last night the bench played the starters a significant portion of their minutes.

For me, it comes down to defense. I feel like the bench was better equipped to defend Kobe and Howard than the starting unit. Those two only rested 5 and 6 mins respectively. Scoring was not a problem for either team last night.

JFS&G I'd like to see a hand count on everybody on JF that believe our bench would beat the starting unit.

Starters vs. Bench
Jefferson Kanter
Millsap Favors
Marvin Demarre
Foye Hayward
Mo Tinsley

Mo better than tinsley
Hayward better than foye
Demarre better than marvin
favors and millsap would be good matchup and i call it about even. (millsap would have a hard time scoring on favors.)
Jefferson is probably a litte better than kanter and kanter would struggle to stop jeffy.

It would be a pretty damn good game.
I say each team would win about half the time.

Starters vs. Bench
Jefferson Kanter
Millsap Favors
Marvin Demarre
Foye Hayward
Mo Tinsley

People have trouble coping with the fact that the Jazz bench is very deep and competent while the starters aren't top shelf. Makes it hard to say who should play and easy to want a substandard young team with hope and lottory potential over a 1st round playoff sweep.

I give the starters the edge but only a small one. Every player on the bench brings something.