What's new

Best Android apps?

swanvideos

If the Evo shortage ever ends, I'll be getting one. And I'm very excited about it.

What are your favorite Android apps?

Timely thread... I just got my Droid X a few days ago.

I'm still very much a novice, but some of my favorite apps might prove to be (I have them installed, but haven't used anything very much yet):

* 3banana notes
* Aldiko bookshelf
* Calendar pad
* Citation index (LDS scripture references)
* Gospel Library (LDS scritures)
* Mototorch LED (use camera flash LEDs as flashlight)
* Pandora
* Realcalc (easy to use scientific calculator)
* Speed Test (test internet connection)
* Tricorder (various sensors)
* WeatherBug

I like:

Pandora
Sessmic (Twitter App)
The Weather Channel
Handcent SMS (Text)
Word Mix (free Textwist)
Advanced Task Killer (Battery life saver extraordinaire)
and of course, Peter Griffin Soundboard

I think I'm up for a new Verizon phone. Right now I have the Blackberry Tour. Is there a much better option out there that Verizon offers? Salty?

All the ones mentioned so far are great. the new home beta is pretty sweet... takes away the limitations of the base home os.

What does this **** cost per month to do everything u want as much as you want?

What do we get for $10?

*image removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some of my favorites:

Pandora
Shazam
Slacker Radio
Paper Toss (fun simple game)
NFL Mobile (only on Verizon)
WeatherBug
YouMail (might eventually switch to Google Voice)
ESPN ScoreCenter
Timer (from The Spinning Head; most reliable timer app I've found)
Barcode Scanner/Shopper/ShopSavvy/Google Goggles (I have all four. Definitely nice to have at least one barcode scanner app)
Movies from Filxster (Very good app packed with all sorts of goodies. Easy to look up movie showtimes. Connects to Facebook and Netflix. Can manage your Netflix queue.)
Google Sky Map (fun to use to find out what you're looking at)
My Tracks
Bloo (better than the official Facebook app in most ways)
DirecTV (use to schedule DVR from the app)
Password Vault (stores all my passwords)
Amazon MP3 Store (comes pre-installed on most Android phones)
NESoid (play NES ROMs)

I think I'm up for a new Verizon phone. Right now I have the Blackberry Tour. Is there a much better option out there that Verizon offers? Salty?
The Droid 2 is coming out on Verizon in the near future. I'd hold out for that one if you're planning on staying with Verizon. Keep in mind that Verizon's 4G will be launching around the end of the year, and none of their current phones support it (none have been announced or leaked either).
There is a rumor that Verizon will get a 4G iPhone around that time, but it's just a rumor at this point..

As for apps...

I wont list any that I've already seen posted, but the following are pretty sweet...

Swype
Dolphin HD
Tapatalk
Epic Fails
Wireless Tether
Footprints (HTC only)
App Brain
Astro File Manager
Android Mate
Dropbox
IMDB
Wikidroid
Sportstap
Qik
Fring

Way too many to list so I'll just stop there.

The Droid 2 is coming out on Verizon in the near future. I'd hold out for that one if you're planning on staying with Verizon. Keep in mind that Verizon's 4G will be launching around the end of the year, and none of their current phones support it (none have been announced or leaked either).
There is a rumor that Verizon will get a 4G iPhone around that time, but it's just a rumor at this point..

I don't think the Droid 2 is 4G compatible. AFAIK, it's basically just a Droid with a faster processor (same processor as Droid X). It won't have the larger screen of the Droid X, but it will have the built-in keyboard of the Droid.

By the way, I just did a speed test:

9307285.png

Personally I wouldn't get the Droid 2 -- It is just a Droid with faster insides, and in my mind, the physical keyboard is totally useless. Get the Droid Incredible or the Droid X, depending on if the Droid X is too big for you or not (or if you have an affinity toward HTC/Sense, like I do!)

Apps I like (sorry for repeats):

psx4droid (PS1 emulator, beat FF7 on my phone)
mVideoPlayer (plays divx movies and the like, with subtitle capability)
AnkiDroid (SRS Flashcard program, great for language learning)
Google Goggles (Identifies things by sight/barcodes)
IMDb (Internet Movie Database)
NBA News
Keeper (Securely stores passwords, account numbers, etc)
Mabilo Ringtones (Free ringtones)
Kindle (eBook reader)
Shazam (identifies music)
Dropbox (A must for everyone IMO, file sharing between PCs/Macs/Phones, no more need for USB drives etc)
ASTRO File Manager (Move things around the infrastructure of your phone)
NESoid/SNESoid/GameBoid (NES/SNES/GBA emulators)
Movies (What's playing, etc)
SMS Backup (The mail icon one; automatically backs up ALL text messages to your GMail under a tab, another must for everyone)

Well the Droid Incredible is out of stock everywhere and when they get them in stock they won't be the same. Samsung decided to stop selling the screens because they wanted to focus on their own smartphones. That's why HTC stopped making them for a bit. Speaking of that, the Galaxy S will be pretty sweet when it launches on Verizon too.

The Droid 2 is better than the Droid in just about every imaginable way though. The keyboard is better, it is shipping with froyo, twice the CPU, twice the RAM, and other goodies like DLNA, SIM card support for use in other countries (world phone), and Motoblur (whch some people might think is a disadvantage but others really like).

If you like having a keyboard and want to stick with Verizon, there is no question the Droid 2 is the best phone they will have in the near future. If you don't care about a keyboard, then you would also want to look at the Droid X and the Samsung Galaxy S when it comes out, or even the Droid incredible assuming HTC actually makes some more of them with the different screens.

Like I was saying though, I am not sure I would get locked into a contract on Verizon right now when they are just about to launch 4G and none of their announced phones support it. I would probably wait that one out and see what 4G phones they plan to launch before I agreed to a contract. But if you don't care about 4G then it all comes down to if you want a keyboard or not. If you want a keyboard, the Droid 2 is the obvious choice. If you don't want a keyboard, then the Droid X, Droid Incredible, and Samsung Galaxy S.

Favorite app? Clearly it is "Ute Defender". It alerts you everytime something bad is said about the Utes football team in cybersapce. It even gives you hints on how to respond in the most bombastic, over the top, homerish manner possible. It is clearly the best app out there. Clearly.

Favorite app? Clearly it is "Ute Defender". It alerts you everytime something bad is said about the Utes football team in cybersapce. It even gives you hints on how to respond in the most bombastic, over the top, homerish manner possible. It is clearly the best app out there. Clearly.
If you just barely got your first ever cell phone, and it's an obsolete dumbphone, then you have no business talking crap about me in an Android thread.

I guess it's all for the best though. Think about it... If this clown had a smartphone and was actually smart enough to know how to use it, imagine the stalking this fool would be doing.

I can't make a post without this moron following me in true stalker fashion. Just imagine what he would be doing to all the little boys in the neighborhood sporting their Utes gear if he had actually discovered technology...

If you just barely got your first ever cell phone, and it's an obsolete dumbphone, then you have no business talking crap about me in an Android thread.

I guess it's all for the best though. Think about it... If this clown had a smartphone and was actually smart enough to know how to use it, imagine the stalking this fool would be doing.

I can't make a post without this moron following me in true stalker fashion. Just imagine what he would be doing to all the little boys in the neighborhood sporting their Utes gear if he had actually discovered technology...

Clearly.

As for apps...

I wont list any that I've already seen posted, but the following are pretty sweet...

Swype
Dolphin HD
Tapatalk
Epic Fails
Wireless Tether
Footprints (HTC only)
App Brain
Astro File Manager
Android Mate
Dropbox
IMDB
Wikidroid
Sportstap
Qik
Fring

Way too many to list so I'll just stop there.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Droid 2, the 4G, or the 4G I-phone, which would you recommend? I'm assuming the 4GIP. Let's say that's just a rrumor though. Of the Droid 2 or the 4G, which would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Droid 2, the 4G, or the 4G I-phone, which would you recommend? I'm assuming the 4GIP. Let's say that's just a rrumor though. Of the Droid 2 or the 4G, which would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Well nobody knows what 4G phone Verizon will get yet, or when that will even be. We know they will be launching a 4G network, but we haven't seen a phone yet... For comparison, Sprint launched their 4G network around a year before they released the Evo (their first 4G phone). They did have 4G data cards before that though.

So if you are set on staying with Verizon, I would wait until January to sign a contact. By then we'll know what 4G phone they will be getting and when to expect it, plus we'll know about the iPhone on Verizon.

If you don't care about 4G though, and just want an upgrade, then it comes down to if you want a keyboard or not. If you want a keyboard, the Droid 2 is the one. If you don't want a keyboard, then the Droid X is the one right now, and the Samsung Galaxy S will be good too when Verizon launches it (could be a while).

Just to clear up some things:

The Incredible's screen is not being replaced with SLCD as previously thought. HTC is changing their other two current gen phones to SLCD, and leaving AMOLED in the DInc. They are currently shipping; Droid X is backlogged a couple weeks. Droid X has the SLCD screen.

MotoBlur is gross. My wife has a Droid X and I can't even stand the amount of bloatware/etc on there.

If you want to stay on Verizon, I'm with Salty and would recommend waiting until 4G hits.

If you want a new phone anywhere, I'd go with Sprint and get the HTC Evo 4G in a heartbeat.

I'm tied to Verizon because my office pays the bill, so I'll stick with my Incredible for now, and hopefully move to the rumored HTC/Verizon 4G Worldphone that is coming early next year.

I'm tied to Verizon because my office pays the bill, so I'll stick with my Incredible for now, and hopefully move to the rumored HTC/Verizon 4G Worldphone that is coming early next year.
That world phone looks pretty sweet (like a Touch Pro 2 with Android) but I have not seen anything saying it will have LTE (4G).

Also, it wasn't HTC that decided to stop producing AMOLED screens, but Samsung (which is who makes them) decided to stop selling them until they build a new factory. Samsung wanted their own line of smartphones to get them first.