• This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Big 12 Shenanigans - Do You Think BYU Should Jump?

Avery

Well, it's official: BYU to the B12 in 2023.

I think it was clear that they had to make a move to a P5 conference with how the deck is stacking. It's a shame the B12 is a shell of it's former self.

framer

The Big 12 as a basketball conference is going to be the best in the nation. Also, might as well shutter BYU's baseball team and go wrestling because BYU will never break into the top half.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Fish, you’ve gotta remember that you’re the exception to anything negative I ever say about BYU. If more Utah and BYU fans were like you, the hate wouldn’t be as bad as it is. I’ve come to really enjoy the years they don’t play each other just because it’s gotten to be just too damn nasty.

In all honesty, this is a great move for BYU. While they’ve always championed the benefits of being Indy, I’ve always seen it as a huge negative to BYU. You’re forced to play a top heavy schedule, 1 loss locks you into a “meh” bowl game, and I think there’s a huge benefit to playing conference opponents year in and year out.

With TX and OU gone, there’s no reason BYU can’t enter that conference as one of the “Big Boys”. There’s still quality football programs like Ok State, Baylor, and TCU and even with a couple losses, they can still be playing for conference titles in November which beats the hell outta playing the UMASS’s of the world.

I actually think it’s pretty cool that the state of Utah will now be home to two P5 conferences now. If you take the Utah-v-BYU hate out of the equation, it’s a great thing for the state and should even take our rivalry up a notch (not that it needs it).

With all that being said, it’s officially Utah-BYU week, so screw you guys. This will be my last nice post about BYU until Utah gets #10 on Saturday.
Thanks man and great post. I would still prefer to be in the pac12 so I'm still a bit jealous but I'm just stoked to be in any p5.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Looks like BYU wont join the conference until 2023. Thats too bad. I was hoping for next season. Oh well.

Jazzman12

Looks like BYU wont join the conference until 2023. Thats too bad. I was hoping for next season. Oh well.
I’m sure that there’s some Ute trolls on Twitter finding a way to mock BYU’s move just to be a-holes, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by every fellow Ute fan that I’ve talked to about this. Everybody see’s it as a great move for BYU. It’s obviously a no brainer that this isn’t just a good move for BYU but the state of Utah as a whole.

Strangely, I think it will give me less anxiety about Utah beating or losing to BYU in football. When Utah went to the PAC12 and BYU went Indy, I think there was this weird, self-imposed anxiety amongst Ute fans about validating their move by not losing to their in-state rival that didn’t have a conference. BYU’s football program will only grow bigger and better in the Big 12. I’ll still wanna beat their guts out each and every time we face them, but the playing field is about to be leveled.

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
I’m sure that there’s some Ute trolls on Twitter finding a way to mock BYU’s move just to be a-holes, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by every fellow Ute fan that I’ve talked to about this. Everybody see’s it as a great move for BYU. It’s obviously a no brainer that this isn’t just a good move for BYU but the state of Utah as a whole.

Strangely, I think it will give me less anxiety about Utah beating or losing to BYU in football. When Utah went to the PAC12 and BYU went Indy, I think there was this weird, self-imposed anxiety amongst Ute fans about validating their move by not losing to their in-state rival that didn’t have a conference. BYU’s football program will only grow bigger and better in the Big 12. I’ll still wanna beat their guts out each and every time we face them, but the playing field is about to be leveled.

Leveled to a point. BYU still has the Honor Code to deal with. We will always be limited with that. I agree it will help immensely, though.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz Spazz

Inconceivable
Staff member
This thread question isn't really a question is it? I always felt the reason BYU went Indy was because Utah left the conference on their own and prior to that the conversations were always BYU and Utah going somewhere. With Utah gone there was no reason to stick around in a weak conference alone when your plans to do something together had just been crushed into nothing. This was why BYU went independent, to prepare and do whatever it took to join a power conference. With the PAC12 never, ever, ever, not in a million years, willing to let BYU in they had to turn to another conference and the Big 12 has always been the best option. It makes way more sense than any of the other power conferences.

To ask if BYU should now join the Big 12 is silly, when almost everything done in the last decade was for this purpose. Sure there is a bottom line and there are some things that if demanded BYU would not join, but joining was and is the goal. It's too bad it took Texas and OU leaving for the Big 12 to finally pull the trigger. With the other power conferences getting bigger, they should have done so earlier rather than being so reactionary. I wonder if they expanded years ago if Texas and OU wouldn't have left.

TL;DNR - Of course BYU should join the Big 12, it's been the goal the entire time since being divorced by Utah.

One last thing, in my mind "jump" implies leaving something. Jumping from independent to a power conference is not a thing. Joining the Big 12 is a thing, but there is no "jumping" involved.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
So far BYU, UCF, and Cincinnati are all undefeated. Houston is 1-1 with their loss coming to a BIG12 team (texas tech)
The new additions are looking good so far this year.