What's new

Boozer & Johnson package deal

mellow

All the talk is now that New Jersey with the third pick is leaning towards Wes Johnson a wing player. The nets drafted Terrence Williams, a wing, last year and have Courtney Lee and Chris Douglas Roberts at the 2 gaurd.

With Harris at the poiint and Lopez at center the most glaring need on thier team is power forward which was played by Yi Jinlian, Kris Humphries and Josh Boone. So why pass on Derek Favours or all the other pf?

Locke talked about this the other day and now ESPN has caught on, Wes Johnson and Boozer are represented by Rob Pelinka. Some believe that Pelinka is pushing New Jersey to take Johnson and promising to land them Boozer on July 1. Teams can't officially negotiate with FA's unitl july 1 and by taking a wing instead of pf the Nets are taking a HUGE gambel that Boozer and Pelinka will deliver on backroom promise.

Given Boozer's track record the Nets had better be carefull.

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16962/boozerwesley-johnson-package-deal-to-nets#comments

All the talk is now that New Jersey with the third pick is leaning towards Wes Johnson a wing player. The nets drafted Terrence Williams, a wing, last year and have Courtney Lee and Chris Douglas Roberts at the 2 gaurd.

With Harris at the poiint and Lopez at center the most glaring need on thier team is power forward which was played by Yi Jinlian, Kris Humphries and Josh Boone. So why pass on Derek Favours or all the other pf?

Locke talked about this the other day and now ESPN has caught on, Wes Johnson and Boozer are represented by Rob Pelinka. Some believe that Pelinka is pushing New Jersey to take Johnson and promising to land them Boozer on July 1. Teams can't officially negotiate with FA's unitl july 1 and by taking a wing instead of pf the Nets are taking a HUGE gambel that Boozer and Pelinka will deliver on backroom promise.

Given Boozer's track record the Nets had better be carefull.

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16962/boozerwesley-johnson-package-deal-to-nets#comments

Interesting but if this were the case why would the Jazz want Johnson over Favors or Cousins considering the Jazz would be losing Boozer and they have a huge need at center. I guess I am skeptical of this rumor.

Interesting but if this were the case why would the Jazz want Johnson over Favors or Cousins considering the Jazz would be losing Boozer and they have a huge need at center. I guess I am skeptical of this rumor.

Might want to click on the link again and read it a little slower this time.

Who said anything about the Jazz getting Johnson? The point was that the Nets would take Johnson because they would also be getting a PF (i.e. Boozer) in free agency.

You do understand that this wouldn't be a trade right? New Jersey could simply draft Johnson with their own #3 pick and then offer Boozer a big contract that he can accept. The Jazz would get nothing for Boozer since he is an unrestricted free agent.

Maybe Jazz could do a S&T with Nets and Boozer and pick up a player from Nets in the deal. Who do Nets have that Jazz might want?

This rumor is pretty ridiculous.

Like really really ridiculous.

I could see a team doing this to land a premier player like Lebron or Bogut, but Boozer? Nah. Boozer will just go where the money is anyways so this is pointless. If you want him just show him the money.

Maybe Jazz could do a S&T with Nets and Boozer and pick up a player from Nets in the deal. Who do Nets have that Jazz might want?

Not much. Look, we're not going to get back much in a sign-and-trade. This isn't an equal deal. The ONLY incentive for NJ to make a deal is IF they really, really want Boozer and Carlos also has another team bidding for his services. Then one of the teams would want to step up and add the extra year to his contract (hence, a sign-and-trade).

It's doubtful Carlos gets offered a MAX deal for 6-yrs. Who in their right mind would offer that kind of contract? So NJ offers Carlos a 5-yr contract, maybe even offers him a few extra million/per if he comes back and says he wants a 6-yr deal. If I'm NJ, all I'd offer in a sign-and-trade is Kris Humphries, since he'd no longer be needed.

And on the other end of this deal, Miller needs to cut salary to get as close to the tax threshold as possible. He's not going to want to take back a ton of salary for a back-up. As we saw this past season, he's perfectly willing to have D-Leaguers come in at a minimum salary.

There's no guarantee AK's salary can be "dumped" at the deadline. In fact, we're in trouble if that is the case, because then that expiring contract is a liability - not an asset. And just like with Harpring, we'd have to sweeten a deal to get a team to take on the contract so it comes off the books this season. On the other hand, if Boozer "walks" and Korver is not re-signed, the Jazz are close enough to the tax threshold that they could take back the entire $17.2M in players. And a team desperate to dump payroll may have to sweeten the pot for the Jazz - i.e. a couple of players PLUS a 1st-round pick.

Last edited:
I could see this happening for sure, though I think the Nets should draft BPA, that being either Cousins or Favors.

Or how about this scenario:
Nets draft Johnson and the Jazz draft Babbitt/Hayward/George to play SF. We send AK to New Jersey for a future pick. Prokhorov gets his Russian "star," AK gets to play PF and the Jazz then re-sign Boozer (since we've dumped AK's salary).

Doesn't give Utah an inside presence, but at least Boozer and Fes can eat up minutes at the 5 until Okur returns. Hopefully the Jazz would also pick up an extra first-rounder (late teens/early 20's) and draft one of the young bigs like Brackins, Orton, Sanders or Whiteside.

Why does Utah do this:
1. Boozer is more value than what we could get out of AK's expiring. And one has to be completely wiped off the books to get reasonably close to the tax threshold.

2. Carlos CAN play some minutes at the 5. He's also much more "NBA" ready than any "big" we could get at #9.

3. Carlos gets his 6-yr deal without having to try to twist another team's arm into giving Utah enough value to do a S&T.

Why does NJ do this:
1. Prokhorov has already stated he wants a "global" team. He's got Jianlian, who is fairly popular in China (and will be even more if Yao doesn't return). AK is a Russian "god" when he plays on the national team. You know he and Prokhorov would make appearances all over Russia together. And AK probably gives Prokhorov a "Russian discount" when it comes to re-signing. Prokhorov can make up the difference in arranging for endorsements for AK.

2. Lopez-Johnson-AK-Harris-Lee. That's a pretty good starting five.

Last edited:
Anybody heard the rumor Nets are interested in Chris Paul for the #3 pick? That would change things.

Anybody heard the rumor Nets are interested in Chris Paul for the #3 pick? That would change things.

I don't think it changes much. It's not like New Orleans would take a PG at #3. Just replaces one team with another. I still think the top-5 picks are pretty set, just a matter of who picks them.

I don't think it changes much. It's not like New Orleans would take a PG at #3. Just replaces one team with another. I still think the top-5 picks are pretty set, just a matter of who picks them.

The talk has been that if New Jersey could get CP3 for the 3rd pick that it would GREATLY increase their chances of landing Lebron in free agency. After taking on Chris Paul's and Lebron's salaries they likely wouldn't be able to afford Boozer.

If the Nets draft Wesley Johnson and sign Boozer but they can't get another big name FA, perhaps they'd be open to absorbing AK's massive expiring for nothing much?

Harris-Johnson-AK-Boozer-Lopez would be pretty solid in the East. NJ could also be a player for Melo in 2011 if he doesn't extend with Denver.

For the Jazz, who might just draft a wing like Babbitt, my guess is that by letting both Boozer and AK go, we clear enough cap space to be a player for a veteran defensive center like Haywood or a similar big.

The only way the Jazz can S&T Boozer with so many teams having cap room to sign him is if he's willing to take the sixth year for less money per year but more money overall. Something like 6/80 instead of 5/75.

Won't net tremendous players, but it could happen.