What's new

Boylen fired as Utah men’s basketball coach

//r00t 4 Jazz

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/51418870-89/boylen-utah-basketball-coach.html.csp
https://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031211aaa.html

Not too shocking I know but didn't see it posted, I was kinda behind him still despite his lack of winning because of his fire, passion and seemingly all around good guy.
But his last few weeks watching the offense finally put me over the edge, it was infuriatingly frustrating watching them slow the tempo so far it takes any hope of getting any rhythm or consistency and even worse it was done in largely part due to all their TO's but they still TO'd over at a high rate.

I didn't really like some of the things Boylen had to say in his phone interview. He mentioned how Utah better hire a "hard worker" as his replacement because doing this job @ Utah is an "uphill battle".

I find that type of thinking a cop-out considering that Majerus turned Utah into a Top 20 program during his time here. Not to mention the success that Dave Rose is having coaching at a school that faces much more issues when it comes to recruiting, etc.

Thank god. I wanted him gone after last season. When you lose that many of your best player's (who were not that good anyway) and you seem unable to deal with the player's you recruit. And also your team shows no semblance of an offense at all. It's beyond time for you to go. He is just not a good coach. He's probably a really good assistant but as a head guy he seemed to have no idea what needed doing. They need to find somebody that can recruit and fix this mess than Boylen has left it in. He has turned a once proud program into a joke. Good riddance.

I think most BYU fans are disappointed in this. I know of plenty, living here in Utah County, that loved what Boylen did to the Utah program.

the joke of many wards having better shooters than the Utes is still fresh to me... And astonishingly true. Utah's offense the past 2 years has been the worst offense I've ever seen... Outside of the Jazz's offense over the past few months of course...

Boylen is probably a good assistant. But as a head coach, he seemed like a lot of hot air (and very little substance). Recruiting was non-existent, philosophy was impossible to understand, and the way he acted around the media was hysterical.

Ball didn't go in the hoop...

How do I feel? Like ****!

Utes bite the financial bullet on this one. They probably would have kept him if they weren't Pac12 bound this year.

I'm not so sure.

The Hunstman center was empty, more people were watching Utes' JV team in chess than basketball. So attendance was a major issue...

And quite honestly, he wasn't improving enough. To finish 2 straight years below .500 at a place like Utah just isn't acceptable. Not when BYU is eating up the in-state recruits, abusing Utah every year despite having a much MUCH difficult situation, and with Utah St. looking like the #2 program in the state.

Boylen makes 850k a year for the next 3 years.

which begs the question why did we sign him long term after just 2 years?

funny quote at the time his new contract was signed:

"When I took this job, I promised conference championships, national rankings, NCAA tournament invitations and a return to national prominence," Boylen said in a release. "We are on our way."

Yeah, that worked out well

Although Boylen had three years remaining on his original contract, which paid him $575,000 a year, athletic director Chris Hill said he wanted to retain Boylen with the new deal, which keeps him in Utah through 2014.

So we already had him signed for three years but we gave him a huge raise and several more years....way to go Chris Hill

I don't think Boylen could have convinced me to take a scholarship to play ball at Utah.

....way to go Chris Hill

Hill has completely whiffed on the basketball program since Majerus.

He makes me every bit as nervous as Boylen did.

BTW - Boylen insists he needed just one more year to fully execute his plan and return Utah to basketball glory. Perhaps Hill should have offered to give him one more season, after which, if Utah wasn't at least a first round NCAA tourney winner, Boylen walks and the rest of his contract is void.

Is it true that St. Mary's coach rejected an Utah offer? Or is that Internet rumor? Couldn't he see the light? PAC 12 baby, Pac ****ing 12.

Is it true that St. Mary's coach rejected an Utah offer? Or is that Internet rumor? Couldn't he see the light? PAC 12 baby, Pac ****ing 12.

Yeah he rejected it, along with Rick Majerus, Bobby Knight, Coach K, and John Wooden. Oh wait, probably just internet rumors as well.

Yeah he rejected it, along with Rick Majerus, Bobby Knight, Coach K, and John Wooden. Oh wait, probably just internet rumors as well.

You forgot Naismith, and Red... they were on the list too.
Bummer because Red would have been perfect for the job.