What's new

Brandon Roy wants to come back...interested?

COJazz44

https://tracking.si.com/2012/06/16/brandon-roy-nba-portland-trailblazers-retirement/

Brandon Roy confirmed rumors of his return to the NBA by tweeting on Friday night that he’s been training daily, his health is good and is planning on returning to the league next season. But since he doesn’t have Twitter, he made the announcement under the account for Will Conroy, his friend in the NBDL.

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.com put the series of tweets together:

“Lord willing, I will play again soon,” Roy wrote in a series of tweets. “Yes, I’m preparing for a comeback. I’m training daily. I’m preparing for a return next year. I appreciate the love. Hopefully I’ll be back on the floor soon. Health is good.”

When asked by a fan if he could return to the Portland Trailblazers, Roy said it’s highly unlikely he’d return to the Blazers for next season:

“I wish, but due to the NBA rules I cannot play in Portland until 2014-2015,” Roy tweeted. “I’m looking to return sooner. Thanks for your support. I’m fortunate to have played for such a great fan base. No matter where I play, Portland will always have a special place in my heart.”

Roy was named Rookie of the Year when he played for the Blazers in 2006 but announced his retirement in 2011 because of chronic knee problems. He will train in Seattle as he plans for his return to the NBA.

He seemed like a ball hog to me, but then I looked at his assists and they're around 5 which is really good.

All of us crave for a good pg. But maybe the destiny is planning a legendary comeback for him(epic music here), so if we give him the chance that may occur in a Jazz uniform.

Last edited:
Brandon Roy is a stud. Wish him nothing But the best. Can't see him signing here, though. Besides, Roy and Burks seem quite similar (only that Roy was a senior coming out of college, if I'm not mistaken)

I hope things work out for him as he is an amazing player, but I expect injuries to haunt him.

Definitely worth a one year signing, at as much as the Jazz can afford to throw at him. He's at the very least.... a decent role player with limited minutes. If he can beat the injury bug, he'd be an all-star for sure.

Not to mention he probably doesn't mind playing in a small market.

I really think this is an iffy proposition at best. Roy himself probably doesn't know if he's going to succeed in his comeback. But he would be worth a look.

His knees are shot, so I have to say no. Thankfully, I don't think we would be a consideration to begin with.

Roy is five years (and two months) younger than T-Mac - I think some people would claim McGrady has worse knees (simply because McGrady has had bad knees and a bad back for a longer period of time), but the Roy risk is just as great. I think he'll get signed for cheap by someone - I can see him coming off the bench. I like how he played before his problems - but a guard with bad knees is something most teams aren't interested in.

I heard at the beginning of the season that Brandon Roy approached Kobe about his controvercial germany surgery that Kobe got on his knees (which have been fine all year by the way). Now Roy is announcing a comeback, and I find this article:

https://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/06/07/brandon.roy.los.angeles.performing.special.rehabilitation.his.knees.fueling.more

I would say give him a chance, because A: I am always a softie for cool risky procedures, and 'B: If it's the same procedure that Kobe got, and he played great for his age, than it might just work, while at the same time the riskyness of it will keep the price down.

From the comments section of cc's link:

His career was never over. When he got amnestied by Portland, there were a number of teams lining up for his services. He retired so a poor team like a Minnesota, Phoenix, Toronto etc. wouldn't claim him in waivers. Now he can choose his destination. With him working out in LA, we can only assume the Lakers are his choice.

Looks like because we didn't get Roy to workout at Murray Rec for the past few months, we're already eliminated.

I wouldn't mind a "josh howard project" with him this year. He needs to prove himself, despite his injuries.