What's new

Breaking Out

Which of our young players are set to break out in 2013/14?

• Total voters

Xsy

Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Enes Kanter, and Alec Burks are going to get some major minutes for the first time in their careers.

All at once.

When's the last time a team got four lotto picks in two seasons, benched them for two, three years, then unleashed them all at once?

I feel like at least one of our players are going to break out. They might not break out to an all star level, but they'll become a lot more recognized around the league, as "that guy" for the Jazz.

But who's it gonna be?

Gordon Hayward has the most experience of the bunch, and will most likely be the team captain. For the first part of the season, he'll most likely be our go-to guy. The guy who gets the ball when he wants it, and at the end of close games when we need it. We've seen him take over games when he has the right mindset. But we've also seem him go through stretches where he would defer the ball too much, and overthink his game. When Corbin benched Hayward, he got to come off the bench and become our first option on offense instead of the fourth, which really helped his game flourish. Now that he's the longest tenured member of our franchise, and most likely our first option on offense, there's a chance we'll see Hayward go to a whole new level.

Derrick Favors has the defensive potential to become the DPOY one day. Opponents' shots will be altered simply by knowing he's on the court. He's finally getting the time on court to be compared to his classmates DeMarcus Cousins, and Greg Monroe. A lot of people have been sleeping on Favors. If he makes a good defensive impact in extended minutes this season, he might turn some heads.

Enes Kanter has shown flashes of brilliance as a big man. Not that the position is stacked or anything-- he's already a top 20 Center in my opinion. But he's only averaged 15 minutes per game. With Big Al out of his way, Kanter can average up to 35 minutes per game if he stays out of foul trouble. He can go from a 7/4 guy to a 15/10. Maybe even more ppg, depending on how we run our offense.

Alec Burks is still a huge mystery. Jazz fans love him, but we still haven't had the chance to see him shine. He's definitely the weakest of the four at this moment, but he has the potential to maybe be the best of the bunch. Does being unleashed after being unfairly benched behind Bell and Foye finally unleash the beast? I really hope so.

Of course it's unlikely that all four break out this year, and it's still a possibility that none do.

Which of the four do you think has the best shot?

Thought about adding him, but he can't really ... improve on his last NBA season.

Just being petty. I know he doesn't really fit into the purpose of this thread.

I think Hayward is the player everyone is expecting to stand up.

Meanwhile, I think Favors is going to be the one who contributes the most 'surprise' with his expanded role, if that makes any sense.

Like I think the entire league is predicting 17/4/3 from Hayward, but not everyone thinks 16/10 is possible from Favors.

So yeah, I dunno. Each player will take a big step IMO. It's simply my prediction that Favors' progression will be the most surprising from a league-wide standpoint

If y'all didn't vote Burks y'all are crazy!!!

He's the obvious choice!!!

Am I right XSY... Am I right??

5uqa9ede.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think Favors has the best chance. Hayward just does not have "it" in him to make huge leap, he will improve somewhat but he already was playing at 30 min a game two seasons in a row so not like he is going to have huge increase in playing time. For Enes it may be a little to overwhelming amount of playing time he is going to get, I question how his body will handle it, how much foul trouble going affect it, what kind of effect surgery will have on his basketball instincts. Burks? That is a big question mark for me, can't predict that dude.

I picked Favors because out of Favors, Kanter and Hayward, he will get the opportunity to catch the ball almost every time down the court, he is willing to shoot, and Corbin's offense allows you to be a ball stopper.

I predict none of them gonna burst this year.

But still, I hope the ones make impact will be Kanter and Burks.

I think Hayward will improve steadily, and be a really solid guy.

Favors will not make the leap everyone hopes him to do.However, he will be a tyson chandler type guy, with a little less rebounding rate.

Kanter will have a good post game, mid-range jumper, good rebounding, and good painted area defense.Given he not lose his focus, I see him an all-star under-rim player.

Depends on which of them is committed to taking steroids. Carlos Boozer was constantly breaking out and had the 'roid rage to go along with it!

Seriously, my pick is Kanter.
1. Hayward is already a starter averaging 14 pts. Maybe he takes that to 18 and ups his assists and rebounds.
2. Favors was at 9/5 in 23 mins. With his propensity for fouls, I don't see him playing more than 28-30 mins as he'll now be going against starters. Maybe he averages 13/8.
3. Kanter was at 7/4 but in only 15 mins. He's more polished offensively than Favors and could easily double his averages.
4. Burks is a complete unknown. I'd rather see him come off the bench. That gives him more touches and allows him more shots, especially given the backups he'd be playing with.

I think we'll see Favors improve quite a bit, but still be awkward offensively. He's a work in progress. One summer with Karl is not going to turn him into an all-star. He's going to need to keep working on his game year after year. Also a bit worried about him injuring his back on top of the plantar fasciitis he already has. Favors could miss some games this season.

Last edited:
the term breaking out would mean the biggest increase from last year and that has to be burks.

I think defenses will forget about burks the most. I think a lot will key on Hayward. until the jazz can hit 3s they will pack the lane on favors and kanter.

Kanter showed last year that he learned to play offense from Al, only with more body. For him to "breakout", he just needs to learn how to pass to the cutter when he gets double teamed; I expect Malone to help him with that. Kanter is no slouch on defense and he will continue to improve that part of his game as well. I think the only thing that was holding him back last year was his playing time.

Favors still has the highest potential, but he hasn't yet showed the ability to score consistently. Maybe that will come this year with Malone's tutelage.

the term breaking out would mean the biggest increase from last year and that has to be burks.

I think defenses will forget about burks the most. I think a lot will key on Hayward. until the jazz can hit 3s they will pack the lane on favors and kanter.

I hope you are correct but I fear that Clark and Rush will get shared minutes which will limit the time Burks has on the court.

A broader breakout chart:

4 players (Carlos Boozer level breakout): playoffs 7th/8th seed
th_546056156_carlos_boozer_acne_display_image_122_129lo.jpg

3 players (Chandler Parsons level breakout): late lottery pick
th_546056260_cparsons_122_766lo.jpg

2 players (Jessica Simpson level breakout): mid lottery (7-10) pick
th_546057145_jessica_simpson_acne_122_418lo.jpg

1 player (Katy Perry level breakout): high lottery (4-6) pick
th_547781929_kperry_122_585lo.jpg

bustapalooza: top 3 pick
th_549487504_images_122_491lo.jpg

A broader breakout chart: