What's new

Brew Day V2.0

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
DSC_0045.jpg

My growing Blichmann family. Those are two 20G kettles and one 15G kettle. I'll get into specifics later.

This is what will become my brewery control panel.

DSC_0009.jpg

This is my temporary pump base. With all the hardware you can't really use these pumps without mounting them to a base.

DSC_0054.jpg

Here's a more finished pic of my control panel. THe tags haven't actually been fixed to it yet, just checking the layout.

DSC_0042.jpg

My Hot Liquor Tank is currently looking a little bare.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Later this afternoon I hope to have these items installed

DSC_0056.jpg

Heating element installed and leak check passed.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

HERMS HLT complete

DSC_0060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a little bit of disappointment in my build. The way I wanted it to work was that the red illuminated switches under the PIDs would be lit when the alarm was active and would activate the flashing buzzer. It would do things like tell me that the HLT was at temp so that I could go on to the next step, or that the boil kettle was on the verge of boiling so that I could switch to manual control, or that the timer had expired. Looks like I could either have the switches always illuminated or have them only illuminate when there is an active alarm condition.

Anyway, would be happy if someone could point out a better way to wire them up so that they would be illuminated whenever the switch is depressed but also only send an alarm signal to the flashing buzzer when there was an alarm on one of the activated switches.

SW18.jpg

SW9-wiring.jpg

This is how the original design without illuminated switches worked. I'm trying to make it work using illuminated switches instead of WWII looking selector knobs.
alarms.jpg

Here's a PDF for the PIDs
https://auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-2352_manual.pdf

I'm not actually expecting help with this, but who the hell knows.

EDIT: I got a little bit of a resolution for this from a poster at theelectricbrewery.com

Here's the way I wired them up.

PID_alarm_mod.png

Since that picture isn't going to make a lot of sense to people, I'll just say it fixed my problem 95% of the way and I'm happy with it.

Reactions: MVP
DSC_0070.jpg

First brew day underway!

There's still a lot of work to do to finish up the brewery but I'm not gonna wait for it. It's time to make beer!

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

I need to install a vent hood and fan. I also need to finish the dry wall. The table the kettles are sitting on isn't complete either and I haven't permanently mounted the pumps yet.

Still really rough, but it's functional.

First beer up, YES, of course.

space_available.png

Anyone have any cool ideas for what I could put here?

Today was the official final day of my current brew system. Brewed up last year's gold medal winner in the Beehive Brew Off English Style Pale Ale category, Worker Bee Bitter. As a good omen a little worker bee came and inspected my brew and as far as I can tell (because he didn't sting me) gave his approval.

I wish I was any kind of artist, I have an awesome label idea for this beer but I draw like a preschooler. Anyway, it's a grumpy looking worker bee sitting at a bar still wearing his hard hat and reflective vest with one hand still clutching the handle of his black lunch box that he's placed on the bar top. On the back label is a similar picture except this time the bee is clutching a frothy mug of beer and has a wry smile on his face. Pure ****ing gold if I could just transfer the image in my head onto paper.

Holy **** balls, powered it up and didn't get electrocuted!

DSC_0070.jpg

I mentioned it in another thread but I need to say it here. This brew system will double as a great sous vide system. There's a good chance I'll do some sous vide cooking with it before I make any beer.

The sous vide machine here https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Supreme-Water-SVS10LS/dp/B003AYZIB4 is vastly inferior to what I will be able to do, and I'll have two 20G independent vessels that can be controlled much more precisely than 1*F vs their single 11L (~3G) vessel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

I sure did; you should know, you voted for it.

That *** hair got a few too, I imagine.

Tons. None of them worth getting an infraction for.

Wow. I'm reading these posts and I'm thinking not how to be a man by reading Balloun's posts and thinking about how to be a dude by reading GF's posts. GF is my hero.

This electronic post has been constructed, arranged and transmitted via an Apple branded communication device using the Tapatalk application.

Wow. I'm reading these posts and I'm thinking not how to be a man by reading Balloun's posts and thinking about how to be a dude by reading GF's posts. GF is my hero.

This electronic post has been constructed, arranged and transmitted via an Apple branded communication device using the Tapatalk application.

Please don't drink and drive, Dick.