BYU football - back to the future with Anae?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colton, Jan 4, 2013.

1. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    My initial reaction: this may well be better than the current situation, but I'm by no means convinced that it's the best thing for the program to do.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...eturning-to-BYU-as-offensive-coordinator.html

2. Hartsock

Hartsock Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    This is a really weird development. I think Doman has been hampered with a lack of QB talent. I think he has gotten better, so I'd hate to give up on him now. Anae was very undervalued though.

3. UGLI baby

UGLI baby Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    This would be hilarious.

4. Hartsock

Hartsock Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    I would normally tell you to eat a dick but ...... I agree it is hilarious

5. Duck Rodgers

Duck Rodgers Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    + Anae likes to throw the ball and the QBs won't get wrecked under his system.

+ Anae is a good O-Line coach.

+ Anae's offense means the O-Line splits wide which masks poor O-Line play. BYU won't have to put their O-Line on the Slim fast diet again. O-Lineman just weren't meant to be small.

+ Doman at least has the experience of calling plays now and they might actually be able to help each other figure out the weak points in the different styles.

+ Doman has always been well thought of as a QB coach.

- Dink and dunk is still not the perfect offense but hopefully Doman's input and a few years of Anae thinking about things and being around Arizona's coaches will help the style a bit.

Works for me.

6. pickledXgrandma

pickledXgrandma Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    They should bring back Jamie Hill too. Also on another note, Tom Holmoe tweets like a highschool girl.

7. Qman

Qman Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Assuming that Bronco and keep the defense rolling, I think with Anae our O will be average. Which should make BYU pretty good.

8. 7StraightIsGreat

7StraightIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    C'mon guys, if BYU can do an about face after only 2 years and bring Anae back after 2 seasons, they can also rejoin a Mountain West Conference that now boasts Boise State as a long term member, not to mention natural rivals Utah State and Hawaii.

As a Ute fan, I'm troubled by this hiring. Anae was by no means perfect, but playing his offenses were much more problematic than facing Doman's offenses. Hartsock said Doman may have been hampered by lack of QB talent. Say what you want about Heaps' maturity and level of committment, but Doman was handed the top rated QB recruit in the nation and didn't handle him very well. I think there's plenty of blame to give both sides on that one.

9. Duck Rodgers

Duck Rodgers Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Forgot 1 +. The Polynesian angle. BYU certainly doesn't struggle to get Polys here, but having Anae and Mark Atuaia now on staff along with Kaufusi is huge. Both Hawaii guys where BYU recruiting hasn't been so hot lately. Any time you get Kahuku high school and that general area over there tilted back your way again is a huge coup.

10. colton

May 25, 2010
    No argument there.

Perhaps, but I think it became pretty clear that Heaps had been seriously overrated. Or do you think he's going to do awesomely at Kansas next year? I certainly don't.

11. colton

May 25, 2010
    Monson is now reporting this as a done deal.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55571258-88/anae-byu-offense-offensive.html.csp

12. Hartsock

Hartsock Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    Heaps was handled god awful terribly. Thats just a fact, he was coddled, given special treatment, and didnt perform. His teammates ended up resenting him for it. If he would have redshirted and worked hard like everyone else there isnt a doubt in my mind he would have been a pretty good QB. Doman also had terrible QB's, a terrible O line, and average RB's until williams came along and showed some life.

I think Anae is a good coach and I'm not that upset about him coming back, but I think Doman, who has his faults, is kind of a scapegoat.

13. bigb

bigb Free at last!!! Contributor

May 26, 2010
    On the radio this morning they brought up a good point. What if Bronco told Doman that Riley was the QB, no questions asked? If Doman wanted someone else (Hill) but wasn't allowed to play him until Riley practically couldn't walk, someone else really is to blame. It's no secret that Bronco had a huge woody for Riley.

14. Chad Feldheimer

Chad Feldheimer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I predict fewer conference wins.

15. bigb

bigb Free at last!!! Contributor

May 26, 2010
    How do you get fewer than zero?

Chad Feldheimer likes this.
  16. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Yeah because Utah has NEVVVEERRRR done anything like this before... *cough* Roddick *cough* Or how bout BJ? Was the OC at the start of the season but everyone and their dog knew that he had been replaced by the R man himself.

I do find this disturbing. I'm glad that some of those coaches were let go.

at least Anae used the TE and doesn't mess with options.

I don't feel like Doman can stay. Once promoted you cannot lose that job and still remain on the staff. It just makes up for a bitter and cancerous situation.

An interesting dynamic will be what happens to Anae's power now? One of the main reasons why he left was because he and Bronco didn't get along. Anae wasn't "Bronco's" choice as I remember. Anae left and the "Chosen One" replaced him. Now that Domanhall really screwed up and this last season was a complete joke, will Bronco make changes in his own coaching? Will he refrain from messing with the offense? In particular, deciding who plays QB? Now that Anae has come back, relieving the failed Doman, what kind of muscle flexing will he do? I've heard that other coaches may be gone as well once Anae gets going. What sort of changes will he bring to the offense this time? Doesn't Anae have some "capital" to use now that everyone has seen what the program could be without him?

17. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    When is Utah's bowl game?

18. UGLI baby

UGLI baby Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Jan. 1, 2014

WhiskyPriest likes this.
  19. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    When Utah will hire a new Football coach?

All I know is, if Whitty has another season like the last few, Gonzo he will be. Better start recruiting... And hire a PROVEN OC. BJ has been a disaster.

20. WhiskyPriest

WhiskyPriest Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Amen!