What's new

Center Options?

Coach Ellis

Now that the Rudy trade is official, what should the Jazz do about the gaping hole at starting center?

A.) Assume one of Udoka Azibuke or Walker Kessler shows enough to be a starting caliber player this year and find a cheap, third big to back them up?

B.) Make a big trade for a guy like Ayton or Turner - likely paying out assets to acquire them. If so, who and at what cost?

C.) Resign Hassan Whiteside to another minimum level deal and see how he does as a stopgap starter?

D.) Sign a different FA center for either a minimum deal or with part of the MLE? If so, who and at what price?

E.) Make a smaller trade using a mid level contract or one of the trade exceptions to get a functional starter for the time being? If so, who would you like to see targeted?

F.) Scour summer league rosters for the next Royce O’Neale and find a guy off the scrap heap that becomes a rotational player? If so, who would you like to see the Jazz target?

Thoughts?

Depends on the path we choose. If we want to compete, we probably don't have the guy on the roster right now. If we are going in a rebuild... I don't really care who the starting center will be this season. Udoka is perfectly good tanking option... as is Kessler... it really doesn't matter.

Now that the Rudy trade is official, what should the Jazz do about the gaping hole at starting center?

A.) Assume one of Udoka Azibuke or Walker Kessler shows enough to be a starting caliber player this year and find a cheap, third big to back them up?

B.) Make a big trade for a guy like Ayton or Turner - likely paying out assets to acquire them. If so, who and at what cost?

C.) Resign Hassan Whiteside to another minimum level deal and see how he does as a stopgap starter?

D.) Sign a different FA center for either a minimum deal or with part of the MLE? If so, who and at what price?

E.) Make a smaller trade using a mid level contract or one of the trade exceptions to get a functional starter for the time being? If so, who would you like to see targeted?

F.) Scour summer league rosters for the next Royce O’Neale and find a guy off the scrap heap that becomes a rotational player? If so, who would you like to see the Jazz target?

Thoughts?
Depends on what we do with Don. If we trade him and tank, Kessler, Vanderbilt and Dok can get a ton of minutes.

If we do the right thing and build around Don, we need to add at least one other player who can play C. I've been on the John Collins bandwagon a bunch this summer. I think he can play some minutes there. I'm also pushing this trade idea of Conley to Dallas for Bullock and either Powell or Kleber.

I don't think we get Turner or Ayton.

Depends on what we do with Don. If we trade him and tank, Kessler, Vanderbilt and Dok can get a ton of minutes.

If we do the right thing and build around Don, we need to add at least one other player who can play C. I've been on the John Collins bandwagon a bunch this summer. I think he can play some minutes there. I'm also pushing this trade idea of Conley to Dallas for Bullock and either Powell or Kleber.

I don't think we get Turner or Ayton.
Poeltl and Collins would fix our front court

I'd consider Holmes in Sacramento if you can get something with him and if the background check is good. He had an issue that I believe he was cleared of.

Poeltl is a logical fit, Hardy was with him in San Antonio and he fits into either of our TPEs.
Yeah. He does make a lot of sense. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen.

Would like to see the Jazz use the trade exceptions at the deadline to help a team duck the tax though. Seems like an easy way to nab an extra asset for basically nothing.

Poeltl would be great. He's a serviceable center if last year is any indication of what he's capable of. He is on his last year and making under 10M. He could play and we have flexibility to attempt to keep him if we want in 2 years or let him go if we are going after someone else. I like it. Make it happen DA.

Collins is the guy I’m hoping the Jazz somehow manage to come up with - just want to see them do it without sacrificing any valuable picks if they can help it.

Don’t think he’s a 5, but I could see him getting some time there in smaller lineups.

Really need to pick a direction first. If we do the tank and blow it up we will find another center on accident in a trade. If we are trying to be competitive you may have to give up a draft asset to get Poeltl. He will cost more than a TPE... likely a first. You could probably dump Rudy Gay if you also gave up a first in the deal.

We have 2 1st round picks at center + Vanderbilt who played center'ish role in Minny. I know people want to get someone like Ayton... and if he comes cheap.... OK lets do it. But do we really want to give up picks for players like... Poeltl? To me this is a waste.

We have 2 1st round picks at center + Vanderbilt who played center'ish role in Minny. I know people want to get someone like Ayton... and if he comes cheap.... OK lets do it. But do we really want to give up picks for players like... Poeltl? To me this is a waste.
I agree 100%. Poeltl, Kessler, Vanderbilt and Dok are all non-shooting big men.

Why would we do that? I would rather trade for Daniel Theis and probably get an asset from Boston for doing it.

If they really thought they could compete and keep Don happy I think Poeltl is a great pickup. I think they see it like most of us and will likely prefer to duct tape the position together.

Do center by committee
Jazz have Udoka, Cockburn, Kessler, Tacko, etc
Whoever plays best starts and gets most minutes
Whoever is next best plays first backup etc
Don't spend all their money for a questionable starter