What's new

Christian Missionary Killed by Isolated Tribe

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-killed-remote-indian-tribe-diary/2090325002/

An American missionary who traveled to an off-limits remote tribe in the Bay of Bengal left behind a diary that detailed his desire to evangelize the people who killed him.

John Allen Chau, 26, was killed by arrows, police said this week, after traveling to the Andaman Islands in North Sentinel, an Indian territory. In a diary shared with The Washington Post by Chau's mother, the adventurer from Washington state tells of how he "hollered" at the isolated tribe: "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you." The entry also shares how a child shot at him with an arrow that pierced his waterproof Bible.

Indian government regulations forbid interaction with the Sentinelese, who are known to shoot arrows at outsiders. P.C. Joshi, an anthropology professor at Delhi University who has studied the islands, said the isolated tribe has little resistance to diseases and could die from contact with outsiders.

“You guys might think I’m crazy in all this, but I think it’s worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote in his last note to family, the Post reports. "God, I don’t want to die."

Authorities have since arrested seven people accused of helping Chau reach the island. Chau paid the fisherman $325 to take him close to the island, and he then paddled to shore on a kayak with a Bible, gifts and food, according to officials.

“Why does this beautiful place have to have so much death here?” he wrote in a diary hours before his death. “I hope this isn’t one of my last notes but if it is ‘to God be the Glory.’ "

Some people are calling for justice for the slain missionary. They want the tribe held accountable for the killing.

What do you think?

He was shot with arrows the first day. Decided to bandage the wound and go back. About as smart as your typical street preacher.

Reactions: MVP
So you don't think they should have to enact some reasonable bow and arrow controls?

NO!

That would only punish good law abiding Indians. Bad Indians will do bad things to missionaries no matter what, regardless of the laws.

The only way to stop a bad Indian with a bow and arrow is a good Indian with a bow and arrow. More bows and more arrows will make all natives and missionaries safer. If all else fails, escalate to guns, tanks, and atomic bombs.

Sounds like he wanted to martyr himself. What pisses me off about it is he could have exposed the islanders to pathogens that they don't have any immunity to. Incredibly ****ing selfish.

Sounds like he wanted to martyr himself. What pisses me off about it is he could have exposed the islanders to pathogens that they don't have any immunity to. Incredibly ****ing selfish.
God probably would have only made the heathens sick. Those who accepted Jesus would have been spared, or cured or something, because that's how God works.

Last edited:
This evil racist white man got what he deserved. He should not have been there to disturb this peaceful tribe. Shouldnt be using his white privilege.

This tribe should have welcomed this immigrant with open arms. No borders. Freedom of movement. Reeeeeeeeeeeee.........

Hate to sound like a dick, because the loss of life and all, but he exercised no common sense. Not even the lds church sends missionaries into certain areas, and they fully believe everyone should receive the message of Christ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the dude was a criminal, suicidal, vulgar, arrogant and incredibly ignorant, also pretty ****ing dumb, how did he think he was going to communicate with them, thru god's intervention?

He coulda infected that whole damn tribe, we don't know...

on a previous visit, he had shouted at them: "My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you." One of the tribesmen shot at him with an arrow, which pierced his waterproof Bible, he wrote.

Take a hint maybe? This guy thought they spoke English? thats hilarious.....

They killed him on his 3rd trip to the Island and his first 2 they shot at him both times.

U can't actually convince me this dude thought that he was gonna walk off that island unscathed. Clearly a suicide.

Want the Tribe held accountable for his slaying are you kidding me? The dude is a criminal he showed up there illegally, when trespassing intruders do that in your house you can shoot them too... If you live in Texas you'll be a town hero.

Last edited:
Want the Tribe held accountable for his slaying are you kidding me? The dude is a criminal he showed up there illegally, when trespassing intruders do that in your house you can shoot them too... If you live in Texas you'll be a town hero.

Maybe he was seeking asylum?

Here's an interesting take on it:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com...etter-home-reveals-outsized-zeal-and-naivete/

It makes no more sense to address the Sentinelese in English, of course, but Chau’s choice of Xhosa — a language spoken by black people five thousand miles away — seems to point to the neo-colonial notion that the vast cultural differences between darker-skinned people can be papered over with a little bit of “primitive” argot that the white (or Asian) visitor, in his magnanimity, has taken it upon himself to learn.

Oh no... He went to Oral Roberts.... What a surprise. I read this and to me it screams MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE. The kid had a GOD COMPLEX..

I believe people ARE in fact culpable for what their unaware of... Especially parents and adults I feel should be held to this standard. His freewill held a big peice of this equation for sure.... But what about these spheres of influence around him? It sucks to know that a Kid like this, with OBVIOUS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES, probably didn't recognize them because he was so disillusioned with who knows. Disgusting story. Good will come from this though, there's gotta be like, plenty of Oral Roberts students who look at this headline and a little doubt enters their mind..

Oh no... He went to Oral Roberts.... What a surprise. LOL. I read this and to me it screams MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE. The kid had a GOD COMPLEX..

I believe people ARE in fact culpable for what their unaware of... Especially parents and adults I feel should be held to this standard. His freewill held a big peice of this equation for sure.... But what about these spheres of influence around him? It sucks to know that a Kid like this, with OBVIOUS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES, probably didn't recognize them because he was so disillusioned with who knows. Disgusting story. Good will come from this though, there's gotta be like, plenty of Oral Roberts students who look at this headline and a little doubt enters their mind..

I also think him being a simpleton is a better explanation than an Asian with colonialist zeal, as suggested by the article.