What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

Colin is a good shooter , no doubt about that. Coming from the bench and beeing so efficient is impressive. Does it make him a starter PG? I have my doubt for 1 reason : He is not goog enough at passing and conducting the game. Mike is really lower in terms of shooting but he is 3 step ahead in terms of Basket ball IQ. If we trade Mike, then the question is stupid. But i do not thing Sexton/JC tandem as starters will work well.

Colin is a good shooter , no doubt about that. Coming from the bench and beeing so efficient is impressive. Does it make him a starter PG? I have my doubt for 1 reason : He is not goog enough at passing and conducting the game. Mike is really lower in terms of shooting but he is 3 step ahead in terms of Basket ball IQ. If we trade Mike, then the question is stupid. But i do not thing Sexton/JC tandem as starters will work well.

Sexton/Clarkson together on the floor at the same time has actually been pretty good this year.

Btw at least one of the heated conversations between Hardy and Sexton (in the Sixers game) was apparently more about scolding than coaching him. Sometimes the difference between the two is vague though.. but Hardy didnt initiate that discussion. Sexton asked why he was subbed so early.

One guy made a lip read video that seems pretty accurate

View: https://youtu.be/Xe34rFzLQJA

Btw at least one of the heated conversations between Hardy and Sexton (in the Sixers game) was apparently more about scolding than coaching him. Sometimes the difference between the two is vague though.. but Hardy didnt initiate that discussion. Sexton asked why he was subbed so early.

One guy made a lip read video that seems pretty accurate

View: https://youtu.be/Xe34rFzLQJA

What a terrible breakdown of what happened on those defensive plays. First he wants to rip Jackson for going under on a screen with a mediocre 3pt shooter in Jackson. Then he rips him for going over on a screen with Jackson and wants blame him for the layup when there were literally 4 other jazz men sitting there in the paint.

Colin have great quality, speed able to create his own offense. A younger JC. The issue is that every good team have a play maker. Not necessary the PG ( Cf Denver) but all good team have a guy passing the ball well.

I was talking about this in the game thread earlier. Sexton dished out 5 assists and 6 assists in our last two games. I projected that Sexton had around 10 passes that lead to another players shot (majority of them wide open) which they missed. The NBA calls this a potential assist.

He has had 32 potential assists in our last two games combined. He had exactly 16 each game.

That is good for 7th most in the league in the last 2 game span for every player.

He’s right behind Paul, Harden, Jokic and ahead of Morant, Kyrie, Lillard.

I know it is a super small sample size but I think there is reason to get excited about his playmaking development this season. I’m excited for the remaining 25 games with him as our starting PG.

Last edited:
Sexton looks good now. We aint tanking afterall , not if he has anything to say about it.
But JC coming back if he is still in "look at me -I am Kyrie" bs, will maybe change it back a spiral free fall ,into innefficent tank commander overtones.
Then no amount iof young Bull, or anyone else playing smart will help them win then.
I hope JC is forced to come off the bench from here on out. This roster is good without him obviously

Conley has rubbed off on too many of our players. Sexton threw some really good lobs. I am not sure we lose as much as we are expecting. Sexton, THT played well and so did Gay. Olynyk moved the ball. That could be enough to continue at the same level of play for a while. The defense is a little weaker but surprisingly Kessler is playing stronger in that area. They all have too much confidence and they could end up in the playoffs. Super shocking...

Conley has rubbed off on too many of our players. Sexton threw some really good lobs. I am not sure we lose as much as we are expecting. Sexton, THT played well and so did Gay. Olynyk moved the ball. That could be enough to continue at the same level of play for a while. The defense is a little weaker but surprisingly Kessler is playing stronger in that area. They all have too much confidence and they could end up in the playoffs. Super shocking...
Our bench will lose us a lot of our remaining games, unless you plan on running some of our starters 40 minutes a night like the Suns were running Booker.

Our bench will lose us a lot of our remaining games, unless you plan on running some of our starters 40 minutes a night like the Suns were running Booker.
Yep. Our starters should still be competitive with most teams but the bench should get wrecked quite often.

I think Sexton just needs some small improvements to be a starting level player, and maybe we'll see those improvements as he gets more chances.

- He needs to get more comfortable on his pull up 3. He only shoots one a game, and should really be closer to 4+. Imagine the defense trying to stop him if they didn't know whether he was going to pull up or drive. If you look at the really high level guys his size, they can shoot the 3 off the bounce.

- He needs to get smarter on defense. Just learn to anticipate better where the offensive player wants to go and stay in plays without fouling.

- He needs to learn to pass the ball where his teammates can be effective with it. He's shown that he can be a willing passer at times, but he needs to be a little bit more effective in setting other guys up.

If he makes big improvements in these areas then he's an all star level player, since he is so good in other areas. I do think he's capable of making the small improvements in these areas to the point where he can be starter quality. I sure hope so because I really like him.

I think Sexton just needs some small improvements to be a starting level player, and maybe we'll see those improvements as he gets more chances.

- He needs to get more comfortable on his pull up 3. He only shoots one a game, and should really be closer to 4+. Imagine the defense trying to stop him if they didn't know whether he was going to pull up or drive. If you look at the really high level guys his size, they can shoot the 3 off the bounce.

- He needs to get smarter on defense. Just learn to anticipate better where the offensive player wants to go and stay in plays without fouling.

- He needs to learn to pass the ball where his teammates can be effective with it. He's shown that he can be a willing passer at times, but he needs to be a little bit more effective in setting other guys up.

If he makes big improvements in these areas then he's an all star level player, since he is so good in other areas. I do think he's capable of making the small improvements in these areas to the point where he can be starter quality. I sure hope so because I really like him.

Sexton is clearly a starting level player already.

I'm a big fan, so I'm not going to argue with you, but the reporting has been clear that the front office doesn't agree. I think it's close, but if I'm being objective, the things I listed are areas he needs to improve in.

I'm a big fan, so I'm not going to argue with you, but the reporting has been clear that the front office doesn't agree. I think it's close, but if I'm being objective, the things I listed are areas he needs to improve in.
I think he is a starting quality player but not a guy you bank on as a point guard of the future unless he improves those other things you listed. I think the Jazz FO just need to view him as a guard... he can create for others... he can create for himself. Ideally we have another guard or wing that is a connector and can run some of the actions with him. Its why I like Anthony Black so much. He can fit right in that backcourt and make it work.

i think it is good for Collin to be forced into pg duties right now as it makes him change his nature a bit. He's never going to be CP3 but if he does a little better with his decision making and develops the 3 off the dribble he's going to score 25 a game. He is just bonkers fast and works well in the mid range.

This. And its obvious.

Driving home from work today i was listening to sports radio. They said that Sexton is shooting 47% on jumpshots. That is 5th in the league.

He is also shooting 50%, 40%, and 80% on the season. Literally only 2 players in jazz history have done that for a season. Stockton and hornacek.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Sexton is closer to an all star level player than a non starting level player

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Yep. I mean the last time he was a full season starter he averaged 24.3pts and 4.4asts while shooting 47.5% from the field and 37.1% from 3. We have seen plenty of volume scorers on bad teams over the years because someone has to score but there percentages are usually mediocre.

I think he is a starting quality player but not a guy you bank on as a point guard of the future unless he improves those other things you listed. I think the Jazz FO just need to view him as a guard... he can create for others... he can create for himself. Ideally we have another guard or wing that is a connector and can run some of the actions with him. Its why I like Anthony Black so much. He can fit right in that backcourt and make it work.

i think it is good for Collin to be forced into pg duties right now as it makes him change his nature a bit. He's never going to be CP3 but if he does a little better with his decision making and develops the 3 off the dribble he's going to score 25 a game. He is just bonkers fast and works well in the mid range.

It feels like if someone is really game planning for Sexton, it would be pretty easy. Give him space since he's not a pull up threat and then cut off his drives with a second defender since he has a hard time making the quick read to find the open man. If he's starting I think they game plan for him more and he might struggle.

Shooting the pull up 3 would make him almost impossible to guard. He doesn't even have to be super efficient at the off the bounce 3, just well enough and frequent enough to keep the defense guessing.

Maybe I'm wrong though. He's so good at drawing fouls that maybe he couldn't be game planned that essily and maybe he would be way less effective pulling up for 3s. One of the key things to watch for during this last stretch of the season is how he continues to look as a starter.