What's new

Conley staying

If he isn't planning on staying I don't know why we delay the move of DM to pg. His contract coming off the books is nice but we lose him and a year for nothing is silly. We are almost surely not trading him though.... I get the sense it isn't even a consideration unless some other GM pursues it hard.

The only news here is that he won't be doing the re-structure and extend deal that some thought was a consideration.

Meanwhile, the Knicks seem kinda desperate for a PG and a veteran leader (because their culture is a disaster) while not compromising cap space for next year.

If dumping Conley to them is possible and the Jazz don’t take it, then they are absolute idiots.

Meanwhile, the Knicks seem kinda desperate for a PG and a veteran leader (because their culture is a disaster) while not compromising cap space for next year.

If dumping Conley to them is possible and the Jazz don’t take it, then they are absolute idiots.
I've seen a lot of experts jumping on a certain FA that you and I both know and love... It would not be a Jazz move to be that aggressive though. I think with these big salary moves there is a chance that something solid opens up for Conley if they poke around.

I also think the Knicks offer like 4/$100M to Van Vleet if they can't get Westbrick or CP

I'm fine with it. Frankly, I'm skeptical of the trade market for Conley; not sure what sort of real long-term value we could for him in the form of picks, young players, etc.

COVID is going to drastically change the financial landscape of teams for years. I think players on rookie contracts are going to be valuable from a roster/cap management perspective.

If we get bubble Conley and the trade market is as dreary as I suspect it would be for him, I'm fine with it.

Not that I'm expecting this to matter, but does anyone know whether Conley declining the early termination option affects trade eligibility? I know there are certain rules on when trades can happen after signing a player, but am I right to assume that nothing similar applies to the Conley situation?

I've seen a lot of experts jumping on a certain FA that you and I both know and love... It would not be a Jazz move to be that aggressive though. I think with these big salary moves there is a chance that something solid opens up for Conley if they poke around.

I also think the Knicks offer like 4/$100M to Van Vleet if they can't get Westbrick or CP
Great money to tie up for a guy that’s never had to be The Guy in what is arguably the greatest free agency class of all time.

Again.

Not that I'm expecting this to matter, but does anyone know whether Conley declining the early termination option affects trade eligibility? I know there are certain rules on when trades can happen after signing a player, but am I right to assume that nothing similar applies to the Conley situation?
He can be traded now that he has decline the termination. No other restrictions.

Man, I wish the Conley trade had worked out. I think maybe having Clarkson start (and keeping him should be Priority #1) next to Mitchell at PG, then Conley being sixth man, would be the way to go. Trading him for another expiring would be good, except we can't give up any assets to move him.

Man, I wish the Conley trade had worked out. I think maybe having Clarkson start (and keeping him should be Priority #1) next to Mitchell at PG, then Conley being sixth man, would be the way to go. Trading him for another expiring would be good, except we can't give up any assets to move him.
Nooooooo! JC is in his perfect role. You want to limit the time he spends with DM... only one ball.

I think Conley is more of an on ball guy than we thought. He doesn't hurt us off ball but he hurts the defense. Honestly if JC wants more than 40M on a 4 year deal I might let him walk and just move Mike into the sixth man role. Use MLE and BAE to fill in other holes. I still like JC but he still kinda scares me a bit on a long term deal.

* Conley considers looking for a new team

* Reads contract, sees he'll make $34.5M this season

* Laughs heartily, decides to forego going to a championship contender for a year because hey, $34.5M

Biggest non-announcement of all time. Conley opts into 30+ million payday and the Jazz follow their normal sunk-cost conservative policies.

In other news, water discovered to still be wet...

If he isn't planning on staying I don't know why we delay the move of DM to pg. His contract coming off the books is nice but we lose him and a year for nothing is silly. We are almost surely not trading him though.... I get the sense it isn't even a consideration unless some other GM pursues it hard.

The only news here is that he won't be doing the re-structure and extend deal that some thought was a consideration.
Well I somewhat agree with you, but if we get Bubble Mike and a healthy Bogdanovic and resign JC. I think we can contend. Whether Mitchell starts at pg this year or next makes no difference to me. It’s not like he needs to learn the position and Mike will see a lot of time on the second unit which is a good thing. It’s not like there was a50/50 chance of him leaving he was always going to come back, every last one of us would’ve done the same.

Well I somewhat agree with you, but if we get Bubble Mike and a healthy Bogdanovic and resign JC. I think we can contend. Whether Mitchell starts at pg this year or next makes no difference to me. It’s not like he needs to learn the position and Mike will see a lot of time on the second unit which is a good thing. It’s not like there was a50/50 chance of him leaving he was always going to come back, every last one of us would’ve done the same.
We won't get playoff Mike... or playoff DM honestly. Both guys had unsustainable shooting performances. There's a chance you get post AS game Mike that was 16 and 5 and was really efficient. The issue is we shot the **** out of the ball and our defense got torched by a team that isn't quite a true contender. Denver will also get better through trade or improvement of MP Jr.

I just think if the plan is to move DM to the pg position then why not play that way now... can move Mike to the bench or use his contract in trade to get something with future value or that is different but that you might want to keep. Having him as a one year rental doesn't seem ideal.

All depends on what is out there... if nothing good surfaces then just keep him and hope it works for the best.

We won't get playoff Mike... or playoff DM honestly. Both guys had unsustainable shooting performances. There's a chance you get post AS game Mike that was 16 and 5 and was really efficient. The issue is we shot the **** out of the ball and our defense got torched by a team that isn't quite a true contender. Denver will also get better through trade or improvement of MP Jr.

I just think if the plan is to move DM to the pg position then why not play that way now... can move Mike to the bench or use his contract in trade to get something with future value or that is different but that you might want to keep. Having him as a one year rental doesn't seem ideal.

All depends on what is out there... if nothing good surfaces then just keep him and hope it works for the best.
I’d rather start him but give him most of his minutes on the second unit. I think he makes both rotations better and keeps his value up at the trade deadline.

I’d rather start him but give him most of his minutes on the second unit. I think he makes both rotations better and keeps his value up at the trade deadline.
I don't see him having any value at the deadline so if you keep him play him how you want to use him in an ideal world. Don't care about trade value. His contract is tough to fit on the fly. IMO his value is highest prior to season start.

If we are starting DM at the point then there is really no reason to keep JC unless your moving him up into more of a wing position which he is undersized for. Mike is too ball dominant and it would be no different than starting JC with DM.

This may very well be the jazz thinking if they can’t dump a salary to afford both JC and a mid level.

I personally think the deal with Tobias and assets is a no brainer if the jazz are willing to pay the tax. OPJ is a good deal too.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: