Coronavirus in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hekate, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Scat

Scat Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Regarding Utah - 33394 tests, 1675 positive, 138 hospitalized, 13 deaths.

2. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    Well I'm not understanding the sympathy I'm seeing everywhere for the CO.

I'm also not understanding the rationale of getting the sailors off the ship, as if the ship is infected and as soon as they are freed from it they'll be okay. That's not true. THEY are infected. And in my opinion you should consider each and every sailor on that ship as having direct contact with the virus.

As I mentioned, you have 4 options for which chow line you stand in if your E-1 to E-6 (easily 90% of the crew). You are all touching the same handrails, door levers, etc.. That's just one example. Another is that in birthing (where they sleep) each bed is within 6ft of up to 16 other beds that have air-to-air contact, double that if you want to count the beds on the other side of some sheet metal. There are about 6 shower stalls per 100 sailors. Are you getting the picture of how close the contact is between every enlisted sailor even on a ship as large as an aircraft carrier? Ships are cleaned and cleaned and cleaned but they are dirty as **** when it comes to germs and common surfaces that get touched buy literally thousands of different hands a day.

The best thing to do in that situation is keep those sailors on that ship. First, these are military service members who have to maintain a certain level of physical readiness. If they were "vulnerable" they wouldn't be on the ship and they wouldn't be in the military. So the number of severe cases would likely be minimal.

What I think is absolutely unacceptable is taking all those exposed sailors off the contained environment they are in and bringing them into contact with civilians and a larger community that THEY are now putting at risk. I'm not intending this to be a macho thing, but those sailors signed up to keep civilians safe even at the risk of their own life. The best way to do that is to stay on the ****ing ship.

As for the captain, well he broke the rules of being the captain of any sort of ship in the U.S. Navy and CO jobs on aircraft carriers are at an entirely different level than that of a destroyer. If he didn't like the results he was getting from his chain of command (it is a short chain of command for someone in his position) his option was to step down in protest.

As for the crew cheering for him... I imagine he was a "nice guy captain" which is the typical role as far as I ever saw. The bad guy is always the XO (Executive Officer, second in command). And those sailors want to do what enlisted sailors always want to do, they want to get off the ship for a little while. So they cheer for the guy trying to get them off the ship. I'm not impressed.

sahlensguy, Scat, Beer and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010

Why aren’t people congratulating this president? He’s worked his *** off. Only 29,000 new cases and 1,200 dead today. Why aren’t we more Congratulatory?

4. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    annnndddd BINGO. I was right. No wonder why he’s pumping this drug so much. He’s trying to profit off the pandemic.

imagine the outrage if email woman had done this.

5. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    This sounds sketchy

6. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    China had lifted Wuhan's travel restriction.

7. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    That needs to be monitored and inform us about what we can expect in similar situations in the western world. In a lot of ways China and the western world are not alike, but when it comes to highly populated areas and spread of a virus like that they are scarily similar. Now the question is how much can we trust what China has been sharing so far and how much they will share in the next weeks and months after they restart their economy? IMO there are legitimate concerns that they've under-reported their COVID-19 stats, but IMO it's probably not orders of magnitude worse than they've reported so... lets see what happens in the next several months.

8. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Gameface and The Thriller like this.
  9. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010

Been must’ve been asleep for 3 years if he thinks that’s gonna happen with this administration.

10. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I haven't read a Shapiro tweet since god knows when it popped up on a Google search but you realize your post makes you look asleep and not him or no?

Doesn't Shapiro hate Trump?

Would loved to be enlightened. I don't FBI agent from Ozark about this stuff.

11. ONE LOVE

ONE LOVE #Baby_Talk Staff Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I keep hearing in the news that the number of Coronavirus patients will "peak" this week or in the coming weeks..

Does anyone know how they know that?

What's to stop the disease from keep going up and up as it spreads to other States?

12. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    The CIA report about China recently was interesting. Basically it said not to trust the numbers from China for the reasons I've been saying. The local government really messed up in wuhan and then we're afraid to get in trouble with the central government so they under reported. Once the central government stepped in numbers got more accurate but they were also using bad models.. First they were only reporting hospitalised cases. They changed that. Then they weren't reporting asymptomatic cases, they've changed that. There numbers know seem to be pretty good. The level of detail that report seem above any other country. They are bringing a lot of attention to people who break the rules to shame them to get others to stop.

My main complaint now is that that keep talking about new cases being from international flights and people traveling internationally. But they do it in a way that implies it's foreigners bringing it here but it's not. It's almost all Chinese people returning.

The rest is China is planning to make any person from Hubei, especially Wuhan do a two week quarantine before they are allowed to move through the city. It will be interesting to see. Personally I still think better testing is the answer, but if you can't do that restricting movement and tracking cases carefully is the next best.

13. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Lots of horror stories from my wife at her job at the DOH - they did welfare checks on 13 people who previously tested positive and 6 of them were found dead inside their homes. One of her cases went from relatively ok and quarantined to hospitalized to dead in less than 72 hours (20's - had asthma).

Two common denominators in the 40 to 60 age range, severely ill or deceased cases - diabetes (any type) and people who have been vaping for a long time.

14. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I don't think what thriller said had anything to do with whether or not Shapiro likes Trump or not, but is more a criticism of the general ineptitude of Trump's administration. I'd also add that Trump takes a lot of cues from the Fox News echo chamber, and vice versa, and they are apparently ready to declare victory over this thing, which should give us all a little pause.

15. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    Yikes

16. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010

I was intrigued at his 3 years comment.

Probably stopped reading then.

17. JazzyFresh

JazzyFresh Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Weekly check-in

So we've went from 75,000,000-150,000,000 projected cases to under 20,000,000(some saying 10).

We've went from multiple millions projected dead to under 200,000(newest model suggest around 80,000)

Now it's not time to get ****y but if these new smarter, common sensical numbers (not meant to fear monger) hold, I have to give credit to most states officials first and Trump second. Sadly a very very select few Democratic states like NY, and NJ, are flooding the country with cases but outside of Cuomo I still gotta give credit to a lot of democratic guys like Newsome as he has more population but per capita had done extremely well. Never cared for the guy but I don't have agendas so I can give credit when deserved.

Party lines aside most states and PoTuS kicked *** if these projections hold. It's still one too many but much better than this 75,000,000 number carelessly floated around.

Stay safe all!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  18. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Did you read the article? They were talking about how they were monitoring EKGs in patients and had a patient that they stopped it on. And they’re talking about hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin, which both increase QT interval (which doesn’t necessarily mean anything specific happens, just that there’s an elevated risk for other arrhythmias. Anyway, that article doesn’t say the hospital stopped it... it asks if they have had to stop the treatment in anyone and they mentioned that one case, then went on to say that the selection of patient as a candidate for that particular combination shouldn’t be someone that you anticipate a spontaneous resolution, because that would be the line they’d draw on weighing risks and benefits.

19. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    30,000+ more infected nearly 2,000 died just yesterday yet Trumpworld is insisting that we go back to work.

20. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    You often complain that nobody will engage with you in good faith. Too often I respond to your messages to expand on the discussion with a level of professional expertise, as I did in the post above this, and yet you just continue to plow along on auto-pilot. It's honestly like trying to engage with @Utah Jazz Newsfeed.