Coronavirus in China

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
One thing I have learned recently in talking with a few of my trumper friends is that they believe that the only reason things are being shut down and masks are being worn and social distancing is occurring is because "the left" are doing these things to hurt trumps re-election campaign. Is this really how trumper feel?
Just speaking for myself I dont lay blame on trump for the high unemployment or for a slower economy. Those things wouldn't effect how I would or wouldn't vote for trump. What does effect that for me is the amount of deaths and people sick and whatnot. imo if "the left" wanted to hurt trumps re-election chances then they would try to make sure everything is opened up and there are huge crowds of people close together everywhere not wearing any masks. They would try to get all schools open and everyone attending. Get that death toll and amount of infections as high as possible.
Right now many of us dont know people who have died or gotten extremely sick. I personally only know one person who has died and then archies mom and thats it. I only had known 1 person to get really sick from the virus. I think if everyone knew multiple people who had died and who had been hospitalized then it would be much worse for trump than high unemployment. We can get those jobs back but not the lives.
Imagine if there was never anything shut down and no social distancing and no masks and instead of the death toll being 180,000 it was 350,000 or something instead. And much more of us had lost loved ones. What if the hospitals didn't have capacity or ventilators and they were having to choose who to try to save and who to simply let die. That would look pretty bad for trump imo.

Anyway, thats my rant for today. Carry on.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
26,000,000 cases worldwide

I don't want to get into a childish back and fourth but do you now understand how insane 75,000,000 in the US alone was?
I always thought that number was insane. As for its accuracy cancelling travel, social distancing, mask wearing, closing down businesses, washing hands more often, using hand sanitizer more often, testing and quarantining people who were positive, closing down schools, and generally just learning more about the virus, etc etc etc most certainly had an effect on the numbers.

Last edited:

Red

26,000,000 cases worldwide

I don't want to get into a childish back and fourth but do you now understand how insane 75,000,000 in the US alone was?
I wasn't aware the disease had run it's course yet.
And this won’t help. This will make matters worse, and the orders are said to have originated at the highest level...

The Thriller

I always thought that number was insane. As for its accuracy cancelling travel, social distancing, mask wearing, closing down businesses, washing hands more often, using hand sanitizer more often, testing and quarantining people who were positive, closing down schools, and generally just learning more about the virus, etc etc etc most certainly had an effect on the numbers.
Just think how much worse it’d be if sports hadn’t taken measures to lower spread. NBA arenas wouldve been packed with thousands over the summer. Right now stadiums would be filling with thousands. I’m actually really interested to see what happens with college football seeing how many schools are having problems just opening up for academics. Just the sports world alone would add thousands more to hospitals on a weekly basis.

JazzyFresh

CDC: 94% of Covid-19 deaths had underlying medical conditions

According to the CDC 9683 died in the United States with only having COVID-19 listed on their death certificate.

Hekate

According to the CDC 9683 died in the United States with only having COVID-19 listed on their death certificate.

Eenie-Meenie

However, the question remains: If they didn't get COVID-19, would they still be alive?

JazzyFresh

However, the question remains: If they didn't get COVID-19, would they still be alive?
Solid question but I think it displays a pretty substantial message that these deaths are avoidable and that taking a different approach and protecting said people with conditions should be prioriry instead of completely shutting the majority of healthy Americans.

One Brow

Solid question but I think it displays a pretty substantial message that these deaths are avoidable and that taking a different approach and protecting said people with conditions should be prioriry instead of completely shutting the majority of healthy Americans.
Over 9% of Americans have diabetes. There are 8% with diabetes, and something like 20% over the age of 60. Protecting these people does mean the whole country is affected.

Zombie

We've reached the "tweets downplaying the virus from the account of a man who was killed by the virus" level of denialism.

I'm absolutely befuddled by whomever is running Herman Cain's twitter account.

Red

We’ll never make any progress with covid as long as Trump undermines scientists and politicizes efforts to contain the virus.
Depending on what % of our population needs to develop immunity before herd immunity is attained, the estimated number of American deaths range from c. 650,000-2,000,000. Now Trump has a doctor who has replaced Fauci and Birx, in that he is telling the president what he wants to hear, namely fully open the economy and just let Covid-19 run its course. Why should I not believe, what has this president said or done, that would not lead me to assume, that if Trump were told “c. 10 million Americans will die with this plan, but you will still be president because you approved it”, that he would give it a thumbs up?? Everything I’ve seen and heard over the past 4 years leads me to believe Trump, when push comes to shove, would go the psychopath route. The new CDC guideline regarding eliminating testing asymptomatic people already ensures more deaths, if governors follow this demented guideline. And, coronavirus aside, he is also going to do whatever he thinks to make sure he does not lose. Of course he will steal the election, no matter how blatant.

LogGrad98

Contributor
Depending on what % of our population needs to develop immunity before herd immunity is attained, the estimated number of American deaths range from c. 650,000-2,000,000. Now Trump has a doctor who has replaced Fauci and Birx, in that he is telling the president what he wants to hear, namely fully open the economy and just let Covid-19 run its course. Why should I not believe, what has this president said or done, that would not lead me to assume, that if Trump were told “c. 10 million Americans will die with this plan, but you will still be president because you approved it”, that he would give it a thumbs up?? Everything I’ve seen and heard over the past 4 years leads me to believe Trump, when push comes to shove, would go the psychopath route. The new CDC guideline regarding eliminating testing asymptomatic people already ensures more deaths, if governors follow this demented guideline. And, coronavirus aside, he is also going to do whatever he thinks to make sure he does not lose. Of course he will steal the election, no matter how blatant.
If it looks like a psychopath, walks like a psychopath, and quacks like a psychopath...

Reactions: Red