Coronavirus in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hekate, Jan 23, 2020.

1. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    I think the question, from a superficial level, sounds like prioritizing other things over life, but the question isn’t asked about a lot of things. 40k deaths a year on roads isn’t questioned. Nearly 100k deaths due to alcohol isn’t questioned. Obviously we don’t know what the exact death toll will be, but as a hypothetical, it’s good to ask the question, and I am asking this non-rhetorically: what’s the minimum level that warrants shutting things down indefinitely? 5k deaths? 1k? There’s not a right or wrong answer here, but if we’re saying even even 15k, then we have some real re-evaluating to do in many other ways in which we tolerate death as a risk and not just with motor vehicles and alcohol.

LogGrad98, Beer and Douchebag K like this.
  2. Beer

Beer Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I’m saying it’s one person so who gives an F?

Douchebag K likes this.
  3. Jazz Traveler

Jazz Traveler Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    #2020theyeartrumpkilledgrandma

4. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  5. Beer

Beer Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    It’s a lot. Like a lot a lot a lot. Hundreds of thousands die from other unnatural causes every year and no one bats an eye.

Douchebag K likes this.
  6. tedbundy

tedbundy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    So are we not going to discuss this politically charged farce of a package being discussed in the Senate right now? What the hell are our congressman and senators doing. People need help, bit since it seems putting in 1 billion for sanctuary cities 300 million for refugees and tax credits for solar, same day voting mail in voting no need for voter registration till the day of all without any form of ID.... Get this crap through.

Scat and fishonjazz like this.
  7. tedbundy

Jan 26, 2011
    Also if I have to hear Trump is the devil how bout Nancy putting the country through this crap. Political gamesmanship right now. Hell the Dems held a 200 person call where they all put their wish list together for this package. Seriously. Pelosi is awful. Get her out of office.

Scat and fishonjazz like this.
  8. tedbundy

Jan 26, 2011
    I'm quickly turning pro conservative at this point. Neither side is doing well, but all that is spewed here is the hate for Trump and his policies. At least he is attempting to do something. Nancy and Schumer (whom I was a fan of) are driving the Dems off a cliff with this one. And don't talk fiscal urgency or trying to be fiscally sound. Their package is more bloated than the Republicans.

9. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Just broke the stupidity meter here..

10. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    so what should he say instead ?

11. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    That missing church on Easter Sunday isn't really that big of a crisis so it will have no effect whatsoever on any policy I make regarding the coronavirus

How about that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

12. Douchebag K

Nov 12, 2014
    This It's an awful thing to talk about but .. this is the reality.

13. Douchebag K

Nov 12, 2014
    nah dude i don't mean specifically about whether he wants to go to church that day or not. As usual he's really clumsy with what he should be saying, but just in general i think the idea of giving people a rough timeframe isn't necessarily a bad thing to give some hope. Even if it then gets extended a little then

14. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Sure give a time frame. But he is saying he chose the timeframe because he thinks going to church on Easter Sunday is like super important.
    That's a stupid reason for the choosing of when to lift restrictions.

I don't think he is getting criticized for trying to estimate a timeframe of when it might be safe to lessen restrictions. He is being criticized for the reason he chose the timeframe.
    It should be based off when it would be safer to lift restrictions and most beneficial. Not based off church. That's just stupid.
    I'm sure his base loves it though.

MVP and Jazzmix like this.
  15. Douchebag K

Nov 12, 2014
    sure, agreed he can't ever talk coherently He should have just been talking a rough date. But light at the end of the tunnel is pretty important i think.

16. silesian

silesian Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    No. On what you said, that the economy will be shutdown for 6-9 months.

17. Rubashov

Rubashov Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Dec 24, 2016
    We've gone to a 6 month shut down here and i think we're doing a much better job of managing this than you guys. But look you've got a point, its also about how much you value human life as a society.

MVP and Douchebag K like this.
  18. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Ya he should be like "I have spoken with experts in the medical and scientific fields. I have poured over data from other countries dealing with the pandemic. I have talked to the best economists.
    After mulling all the info I have decided that the best date to lift restrictions is..... "

But he is a childish idiot and probably is just really excited about eggs and bunnies and has FOMO about the Easter holiday.

Beer and sahlensguy like this.
  19. Douchebag K

Nov 12, 2014
    duh what else would you expect

fishonjazz likes this.
  20. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Can smart thermometers track the spread of the coronavirus? Not sure if this company and their maps has been brought up before, interesting approach.

Kinsa, Inc.:

https://www.kinsahealth.co/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-fever-thermometers.html

A company that uses internet-connected thermometers to predict the spread of the flu says it is tracking the coronavirus in real time — something that had been impossible, given the lack of testing for the disease.

Kinsa Health has sold or given away more than a million smart thermometers to households in which two million people reside, and thus can record fevers almost as soon as consumers experience them.

For the last few years, Kinsa’s interactive maps have accurately predicted the spread of flu around the United States about two weeks before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s own surveillance tool, the weekly FluView tracker.

The thermometer data “acts as an early warning system for illness spreading,” said Inder Singh, the company’s founder. The C.D.C.’s system lags because it relies on weekly reports from hundreds of doctors’ offices and hospital emergency rooms about what symptoms they are seeing in patients.

Company scientists are uniquely positioned to identify unusual clusters of fever because they have years of data for expected flu cases in each ZIP code. A sudden spike that far exceeds estimates for flu for a given date may well indicate the coronavirus has arrived.