Coronavirus in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hekate, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Political Jazz Fan

Political Jazz Fan Active Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Thanks Pelosi...

2. JazzGal

JazzGal Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    This was from a 2019 study about a possible pandemic. Reality has shown that several other countries have handled it better than the USA.

We might have done better if our federal government had made decisions based on science and caring about people instead of reelection and stock market fears.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Stars Fan and Jingled like this.
  3. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019
    I'm guessing you did not read the article. Is that accurate?

4. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019
    New York........

5. Safetydan

Safetydan Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I read it!

6. JazzGal

May 26, 2010
    I did read the article. Did you? We had the potential to handle it well. We didn't.

latin jazz likes this.
  7. JazzGal

May 26, 2010
    Proving my point.

8. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    Don't forget cigarettes

9. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  10. leftyjace

leftyjace Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm not back at Jazzfanz because of the civil and informative discourse on the COVID-19 pandemic.
    I'm back because I missed you.
    AND because of the discourse.

ConradA24 and fishonjazz like this.
  11. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Rather than copying and pasting headlines and twitter posts, why don't you articulate your own opinion on this subject?

Furthermore, rather than citing a fox news article, go take a look at the 324 page report to see if there is something useful to back up your argument.

Anyway, the GHS index that Fox is citing, measures "health security and related capabilities" (p.5). It states that "knowing the risks and identifying the gaps, however, is not enough. Political will is needed to save lives and build a safer and more secure world" (p.31).

In that sense, despite U.S. ranking first in several categories, public trust in the federal government remains near historic lows (Washington Post, 2019 using information from the Pew Research Center). At the end of the day, you can have outstanding infrastructure in place and capabilities to respond like the US but politicians who just blew it by seeking their own agenda. And that's what the Trump administration did by downplaying the risks of this pandemic and wasting precious time.

Side note: Fox cities the paper saying "the U.S. score was still not perfect...". Nope, the original report has no mention of that. The Washington Post article did. I guess whoever wrote the Fox news article didn't read the GHS report either.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    JazzGal likes this.
  12. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019

13. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    When Trump said "America First" this isn't what I had in mind.

Stars Fan, fishonjazz and MVP like this.
  14. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

leftyjace likes this.
  15. rjfan

rjfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    For anyone asking about the economic impact of those shutdowns, i ask something

What gonna be the economic impact of 5 times Italy deaths per day (USA population is more than just 5 times bigger, here in Brazil it is more than 3 times, and i'm not even talking about it being worse by faster spreading or posible lesser capacity to care of the worse cases) ? Are we really expecting that when it gets really ugly, that everyone just gonna stay living their normal days ?

When it comes the real panic by piles of bodies, people unable to go to work because they can't get out of bed, or needed to go to the hospital, or simply died. When people get more afraid (not only for themselves, but for their relatives too) of getting the disease than getting fired, and the same for the clients of the place where you work (be it a fabric, a grocery store, a library, etc...), when they're unable to get out of home or too afraid to. When that happens, how do we save the economy ?

Jazzmix and sahlensguy like this.
  16. silesian

silesian Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    It is like a story of the New York Yankees being best prepared team to win a pennant. Talent galore, how can they lose?

Then you choose reality TV Star Sharon Osbourne as your manager and they come in last place.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. silesian

silesian Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010

Moreover, if we get the economy going and we go into a second exponential curve (see 1918), then what? Slow the economy a second time? We need to get this in the rear view mirror and the risks of prematurely pulling the plug are significant. Unless we just say "screw it, what's a few 100 thousand deaths, let's plow forward.

We seem to be starting to bend the curve with current mitigation steps (too soon to know for sure), we need to put our foot on this mother bleeper's neck and put it down.

18. Rubashov

Rubashov Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Dec 24, 2016
    Stage 2 lockdown until September

19. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    I think it is a foregone conclusion that the flu is deadlier than COVID-19. I think the panic is being driven by 2 things: first, it is a new virus we have no treatment or vaccine for and which can move without symptoms so it is "scary", and second, the flu has been around long enough we just accept the deaths as "part of the plan" (credit to the Joker) and move on.

I think it is pretty clear that the actual cases are likely far higher than the diagnosed cases since we know for a fact it can be asymptomatic or extremely mild in many cases, maybe even the majority of cases. Even a modest 1 to 1 (1 un-diagnosed case to every diagnosed case, which is very reasonable and likely far higher) ratio, puts the death rate comfortably below that of the annual flu.

Once we get a vaccine for it, this will fade into the background. Truthfully I think this is being blown heavily out of proportion and we are needlessly doing severe damage to our economy and the fabric of our society. This is akin to using a chainsaw to extract a sliver in ones finger (slight exaggeration).

fishonjazz likes this.
  20. Scat

Scat Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    They'd still beat Detroit

silesian likes this.