Coronavirus in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hekate, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    China went into a lockdown that no western nation is capable of. It has been shown in several places now that lockdowns absolutely slow and can eventually stop new cases. It has also been shown that to go about our normal lives means that cases double every two to three days.

Until you've gotten this you are completely susceptible to infection. You have no immunity to it at all. There is nothing your body can do to prevent the infection. You will get infected if exposed. Then it's just a roll of the dice how serious your case is.

Stars Fan likes this.
  2. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I would agree that I don't think the China numbers are accurate. That's just my opinion, not based on known fact, but I don't think a communist nation can be trusted to be forthcoming.

I just wish more people would pay mind to doctors, data scientists and those in the actual field vs. talking heads and jo schmo with a Twitter account. When you read into what they're saying, it's clear that the worst is yet to come.

fishonjazz and stitches like this.
  3. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    I'm still missing your point about the population. China has way more people so it should spread further unless they are doing a better job or the numbers are inaccurate.

I do agree their information is not trustworthy. Although I don't trust he information from USA on it either. Neither has a good track record albeit China's is worse. One person from China made that claim and it was widely disregard here in China. The number of cases didn't drop right after they kicked out some media. It actually sky rocketed after that. They changed the way the reported the numbers. It was very low at first (similar to the USA) for multiple reasons but it made a jump because they stated listing all cases not just confirmed and hospitalised cases. Regardless the number of cases have plummeted here because of strict lock down and strict testing everywhere. No one is seeing or hearing about many new cases except for people feeling overseas returning to China. Most things are opening up now except for strict quarantine for new arrivals here. Although I think it will come in a wave here again and another strict lockdown will happen again. China is most protective of Beijing where I'm currently at because they want to reopen business and protect the capital.

4. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    No government should be trusted. They all have an agenda.

China did try to sweep this under the bridge here. But when it started to come to light the people generally demanded transparency. They didn't trust the government after SARS. The central government put a lot of effort into reporting, stopping it, and giving more info. The government here wants to maintain power obviously and part of that is not having large amounts of upset.

That said I still don't trust a lot of what they say. But it's been shown they were under reporting because they weren't testing enough and weren't reporting non serious cases. They starting changing this. America is has had the same issue. Based on the fact 80% are mild cases I think both missed out on tons of cases being reported.

It has more it less stopped here. I'm in large chat groups with Co workers all around China that are all forgeiners that freely talk about it and have seen it come almost to a hault here.

Stars Fan likes this.
  5. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    He is saying that if china was reporting accurate numbers then they would have the most infected but they aren't reporting accurate numbers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

6. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    That way my original statement. I implied other countries were not reporting accurate.

He then said "based on our population, it was a given the US was going to have the highest numbers."

Why is that a given when China has far more dense population and more people was my follow up.

He then pointed out China had far more people and Italy has less. I'm still unsure what the point is. Why is it a given USA was bound to have more? I would pick a lot of places over USA for that.. Plenty of places that are more densely populated like China or India.

7. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    I think he is saying that if everyone reported accurate numbers then the countries with the most people would have the most reported infections. (China would be #1)
    Since everyone doesn't report accurately then the most populated country that actually reports accurate numbers would have the most infected. That country being the US.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

8. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    Okay, If thats what he is saying that makes more sense than what he typed. I would disagree with that. I know its not you saying that though.

But obviously USA has been vastly under reporting due lack of testing especially earlier. I think South Korea has been the best at reporting and testing but I am sure they are under reporting as well. Its hard when lots of people have minor symptoms and dont get medical help. You need to randomly test lots of people constantly. But a lack or reliable tests world wide hurts the ability to do that

fishonjazz likes this.
  9. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    No one can know to which degree either U.S or China under-reported cases, either by lack of testing or by manipulating information.

However, at this rate the whole point will be irrelevant. U.S. will lead the world by a wide margin. We need to keep an eye on India (which is struggling mightily with testing and their government is not the most transparent to say the least) and Indonesia (not doing enough/too late/low compliance by pop) though.

10. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Republicans really are human scum.

11. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I love Trump. He’s really stickin it to the establishment. This is exactly what rural “forgotten white people” wanted back in 2016, amiright? MAGA! Murika First! bUt HeR eMaIls!

hE lEaRnEd HiS lEsSoN!

fishonjazz likes this.
  12. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
  13. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Probably don't want to piss Michigan off, those 16 electoral votes will matter in November.

The Thriller likes this.
  14. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    GWB said the ongoing war in Iraq was worth it to him to risk a second term.

Obama said Obamacare was worth risking a second term.

Donald thinks continuing to be a petty douche is worth it to risk a second term.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    One Brow and fishonjazz like this.
  15. RandyForRubio

RandyForRubio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2015
    You will get infected if exposed? Where are you seeing that?

I mean, out of everybody on the Jazz in close proximity or even contact with Rudy and Donovan, nobody else got it. Is that not evidence that not everybody exposed gets it?

16. Scat

Scat Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    China did not even count people that tested positive but were asymptomatic, only those that showed symptoms. That right there could have doubled their numbers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...onavirus-patients-test-negative-then-positive

17. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    I'm not saying that if you're in the same room with someone.

If the virus enters your body you will get infected. I can't speak to "viral load" but by all accounts COVID-19 requires an unusually low viral load to cause infection.

With many other infections you can get a sufficient viral load but since your body has antibodies that can begin to fight it you will never get sick and the infection will never grow in your body.

That is not true with this. You do not have any antibodies to fight this. Your immune system will not identify it immediately. If it gets into your body you will become infected and eventually become contagious.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a doctor nor am I particularly well educated in regard to human biology or infectious disease.

18. RandyForRubio

RandyForRubio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Ahhh I understand what you're saying now. Thanks for clarifying for my dumbass.

19. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Well, looks like all of our checks are on the way. What are you guys doing with your money? How many DON colorways are you buying?

20. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I did not see your examples. As far as I know no serious person is saying what you claimed they are saying. Can you find some whacko somewhere that is posting an idiotic opinion anonymously? Of course. You can find an idiotic post supporting every possible idiotic position on the internet. That's meaningless, though.