What's new

D'Angelo Russell

LoPo

I think he is good enough player to warrant his own thread for discussion.

This is a very interesting read. https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/19...oklyn-nets-rumors-free-agent-trade-salary-cap

My opinion - Russell is the best player we can pursue who helps us now while also a core piece for the long term. We could entertain guys like Ntilikina and Fultz, but they aren't ready to help our aging roster right now. We could also look at guys like Collison and Lin, but those guys are band-aids who don't tip the scale for now or the future. We can dream about Porter, but I think Russell is better AND has a higher upside.

When I talk about an "aggressive" move, this is that type deal. Brooklyn definitely considers themselves a "big free agent" destination. In order to target the big fish, they need the money. Since they need money, we should offer to get Russell AND take on Crabbe. By doing that, Brooklyn is able to dump their worst contract. Since they might lose Russell for nothing this summer anyway, this would be wise for Brooklyn because they would have money for two big players.

I would start off with an offer of:
Russell and Crabbe for Rubio, Thabo, Niang and our 2019 1st rounder
http://tradenba.com/trades/HJKPGfdg4

EDIT - I would not take Crabbe.

Last edited:
Ntidklskjs is trash and Fultz is probably busted (and definitely not available for what anyone should be offering.

If we’re getting them off Crabbe, **** sending them a pick. That’s giving them like $30 million in cap space and totally taking us out of free agency where it’s this offseason or bust (0 gettable stars will be free agents in 2020, then Donovan needs to get paid).

Ntidklskjs is trash and Fultz is probably busted (and definitely not available for what anyone should be offering.

If we’re getting them off Crabbe, **** sending them a pick. That’s giving them like $30 million in cap space and totally taking us out of free agency where it’s this offseason or bust (0 gettable stars will be free agents in 2020, then Donovan needs to get paid).

I don't think we can get a player as good as Russell in this summer's free agency. I just don't see it. We can hold out hope for Tobias and Middleton, but those around 1% of 1% of possible.

If we have to give up a 1st and take Crabbe, I would do it. Crabbe comes off the books before Donovan could ever get paid anyway.

I thought the consensus plan around here was to overpay for Malcom Brogdon in the offseason?

This sounds like a huge pipe dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not making the quotes, but the articles out of Brooklyn are saying that the franchise isn't 100% sold on keeping Russell this summer. They are also saying Brooklyn would have to use a first to dump Crabbe. So if we took Crabbe AND sent a 1st, we are essentially sending two 1st rounders for Russell who is a restricted free agent.

I’ve decided I’m in the just say no to Deangelo camp.

If we’re getting them off Crabbe, **** sending them a pick. That’s giving them like $30 million* in cap space and totally taking us out of free agency where it’s this offseason or bust (0 gettable stars will be free agents in 2020, then Donovan needs to get paid).
*40 million

I'm not making the quotes, but the articles out of Brooklyn are saying that the franchise isn't 100% sold on keeping Russell this summer. They are also saying Brooklyn would have to use a first to dump Crabbe. So if we took Crabbe AND sent a 1st, we are essentially sending two 1st rounders for Russell who is a restricted free agent.

I meant this seems like a pipe dream that this would ever be a good trade to fix the jazz

If the Jazz haven’t landed a star with their cap by 2020, it isn’t happening. And it ain’t happening in 2020.

Trading a 1st and taking us out of any possibility of landing a difference maker in 2019 is a no for me. I’d send a 1st OR take Crabbe.

If the Jazz haven’t landed a star with their cap by 2020, it isn’t happening. And it ain’t happening in 2020.

Trading a 1st and taking us out of any possibility of landing a difference maker in 2019 is a no for me. I’d send a 1st OR take Crabbe.

I respect your stance on it.

If we just wait until summer free agency, who would you target?

Those guys you said we had a 1% chance, which is ridiculous and complete crap. Doing your trade destroys any chance we have of building a contender

Name some names so we can discuss. Are you talking about Tobias? Does he make us a contender? Middleton?

Name some names so we can discuss. Are you talking about Tobias? Does he make us a contender? Middleton?

With last years defense, yes. Your whole argument is that we can’t sign a Harris or Middleton. So let’s get Russell. We sure as hell doesn’t get us to contention, so let’s be patient, not do anything Knick like and build our reputation so we can sign a Harris, and while at it let’s let mitchell continue to progress and improve the offense. Middleton and Harris are possible signs, and I know it’s impossible for you to wrap your tiny brain around that fact.

I'm in. He's my favorite from the realistic targets in free agency. The problem is we probably will need to give him money that he's not justified with his play so far so we will need to project a bit for the future.

With last years defense, yes. Your whole argument is that we can’t sign a Harris or Middleton. So let’s get Russell. We sure as hell doesn’t get us to contention, so let’s be patient, not do anything Knick like and build our reputation so we can sign a Harris, and while at it let’s let mitchell continue to progress and improve the offense. Middleton and Harris are possible signs, and I know it’s impossible for you to wrap your tiny brain around that fact.

Yay, insults. I hope you feel bigger.

Yes, Harris is having a great season. He's also in his 8th NBA season and just this year is looking like a stud. I would love to have him and have said that all along. Despite all that, I would argue that the next 5 years looks brighter for D'Angelo Russell than Tobias Harris. Russell is only 22 and has played on awful teams with suspect coaching. He plays in a league where backcourt play is pivotal. As an oversized PG, he would be extremely valuable next to Donovan Mitchell.

Oh, and the number 1 reason I like D'Angelo in this scenario: we would have him. In the Tobias scenario, we have to hope he doesn't stay at the Clippers where he is having a career year AND then convince him to come to us.

I'm in. He's my favorite from the realistic targets in free agency. The problem is we probably will need to give him money that he's not justified with his play so far so we will need to project a bit for the future.

The great thing about getting him right now would be that we would have his restricted free agent rights. We could either sign him long term or have the market dictate his value. There is a slight chance that some team signs him for less than max and we just match it. There is also a chance that another team signs him to a max deal we have to match, but a max deal this summer is going to be a bargain compared to a max deal in 2020 since the salary cap is still spiking up.

Just like with Tobias and Middleton, I have a hard time believing we can sign him to an offer sheet this summer. There are just so many teams with cap space.

I think the Russell we are seeing now is the peak of what he is. I don't mind overpaying for 2nd contract players if I think they have a high ceiling, but I don't see that with Russell.

I'm not trying to say he's bad, but he's a 23 year old who plays like a 33 year old Jose Calderon. He can't get by anyone in isolation, he's terrible at finishing, and can't get to the FT line.