What's new

Dat Prom Dress Doe

I am so over the extreme political correctness bs.

I would have viewed this as respect for a culture and kids having fun than any kind of disrespect of the same.

I better not see one Asian eating a cheeseburger or wearing a Live Lucky cap or I’ll go off.

This to the nth degree.

Shut down all Chinese buffets immediately. Fine anyone selling or purchasing Chinese lamps. And most importantly, no more macadamian chocolates. They are Hawaiian you culturally insensitive dicks.

900176.jpg

This is not a problem, though. In fact, it's heroic. Right?

Reactions: MVP
You mean, like picking salt or pepper, but you can't use both?

Where are all the photos of the kids wearing the new plaid shirt trend? That's an affront to my family and everyone with farming origins. It belongs to us. Cultural appropriation.

Can't we differentiate between when this stuff is offensive and when PC is over-the-top stupid like this incident?

In this instance, what harm has she caused? Who's the victim?

So the next time I want to wear a kilt, who is the representative of Scottish culture that I should be reaching out to for permission to do so?

I personally think it depends how you do it. Are you wearing something or dressed as someone to mock a culture or portrait a stereotype? Are you claiming it as your own idea and not crediting someone? Are you making light of a religious item? If not it's fine. Cultures share a lot of stuff with each other and that's great.

I see nothing wrong with this dress personally but I would gladly listen to someone from the culture it's from and listen to their point of view.

I personally think it depends how you do it. Are you wearing something or dressed as someone to mock a culture or portrait a stereotype? Are you claiming it as your own idea and not crediting someone? Are you making light of a religious item? If not it's fine. Cultures share a lot of stuff with each other and that's great.

I see nothing wrong with this dress personally but I would gladly listen to someone from the culture it's from and listen to their point of view.
Yeah, pretty much this. I think cultural appropriation is a thing, but it shouldn't be applied too broadly. In fact, I think it should only be viewed negatively in the narrow window you describe. But yeah, I'm open to hearing the point of view from the culture being assimilated/appropriated/appreciated/enjoyed or whatever.