What's new

Deseret News - Utah Jazz could still move up in the draft, but will they?

S

Sarah Todd

Utah Jazz CEO Danny Ainge listens during an end-of-season press conference at the Zions Bank Basketball Campus in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, April 12, 2023. Ainge and Co. will be busy this June leading up to NBA draft.

Spenser Heaps, Deseret News

This article was first published as the Jazz Insiders newsletter. Sign up to receive the newsletter in your inbox each Friday.

The Utah Jazz did not end up with a top-four pick in the 2023 NBA draft. Congratulations to the San Antonio Spurs for getting the No. 1 pick and the rights to draft Victor Wembanyama.

“I‘m sure we’re gonna have a lot of interesting conversations here over the next few weeks as we get our own internal work done.” Jazz general manage Justin Zanik

But, just because the Jazz didn’t get the No. 1 or even a top pick doesn’t mean they can’t move into the top four.

There’s already a lot of buzz about the possibility of the Portland Trail Blazers and Houston Rockets looking to trade their No. 3 and No. 4 overall picks, respectively. Because the Jazz have the ninth, 16th and 28th picks in the first round of this year’s draft and a ton of future draft capital, they will likely be included in any and all conversations that involve trades this offseason, from the draft and beyond.

“I‘m sure we’re gonna have a lot of interesting conversations here over the next few weeks as we get our own internal work done,” Jazz general manager Justin Zanik said shortly after the lottery on Tuesday night. “And then we’ll really start engaging with teams as they get to build their own boards and know a little bit more as well.”

Related

That doesn’t mean that the Jazz are definitely looking to move up in the draft, but it does mean that the Jazz are open and willing to hear what other teams are willing to offer.

Even if the Jazz don’t move up from the ninth pick, league sources have indicated that it would be surprising if the Jazz kept all three of their first-round picks. That might mean the Jazz would be willing to trade their lower first-rounders for an already established player on another team.

“Anything is possible,” Zanik said. “What we have is flexibility and opportunity. So, here we go.”

Let the offseason roller coaster begin.

New with the Jazz​

Related

How to pass the time in the offseason​

This week I was in Chicago for the NBA draft lottery and combine. On Tuesday I was in Grant Park, taking a walk and enjoying some nice weather and I sat on a bench and watched an elderly woman playing with her small dog.

After a while the woman, Susie, came over and asked if she could sit on the bench next to me as she and the dog rested. As I petted her dog, affectionately named Guss, we ended up chatting for a few minutes. After some pleasantries and small talk, I asked her how often she takes Guss out to play and she gave me some really, really sound advice.

She told me that she takes Guss to the park multiple times a day. He’s an older dog and doesn’t need to go to the park that often, but a few years ago, after her husband died, she started making a list of things that she regretted not doing more of.

This list wasn’t meant to make her feel like she had failed in anything previously, but to encourage her to savor what life she had left. The list included things like writing letters to her loved ones, buying fresh flowers, dancing, taking walks in the park.

It wasn’t long after making that list that she adopted Guss from a local animal shelter. She said she wanted to have some motivation to get out of the house and to enjoy the beauty of the world. She also said that dogs weren’t able to make their own lists but she figured that if Guss could make one he would have written “play in the park” over and over. So, as Susie tries to complete her list, she tries to also make it so that Guss doesn’t leave this life wishing he’d done more of his favorite thing.

First of all, Susie and Guss are just perfect and were so adorable that it nearly made me cry. But it’s a good reminder for everyone to do more of the things that make you happy. Do things that you wish you did more often, that you know you would miss if you couldn’t do them ever again.

This week on ‘Unsalvageable’​

Check out “Unsalvageable,” hosted by Deseret News Utah Jazz beat reporter Sarah Todd and lifelong Jazz fan Greg Foster (no, not that Greg Foster).

Join the crew on Friday as they quickly recap Sarah’s night in the NBA lottery drawing room and talk about some of the players the Jazz were talking to at the combine.

New episodes come out every week. You can listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and anywhere else you stream podcasts.

Stat of the week​

At the NBA draft combine, only three guards measured a wingspan of at least 7 feet. Shooting guard twins Amen and Ausar Thompson from Overtime Elite both recorded an official height of 6’5.75” and a wingspan of 7 feet. The only other guard to register a 7-foot wingspan was Pepperdine’s Maxwell Lewis.

From the archives​

Related

Extra points​

• Here’s who the Jazz were interested in at the NBA draft combine (Deseret News)
  • Jazz assistant coach Evan Bradds to coach summer league team (Deseret News)
  • Weber State’s Dillon Jones makes his name known at NBA draft combine (Deseret News)
  • Brandon Miller needs to remember and honor Jamea Jonae Harris (The Athletic)

Around the league​

Ja Morant suspended by Grizzlies for another gun incident.

Tracking which NBA coaches have been fired and hired this offseason.

Winners and losers of the 2023 NBA draft lottery.

Up next​

June 22 | 6:30 p.m. | NBA draft | ESPN
Full NBA playoffs schedule here.

Utah Jazz general manager Justin Zanik speaks during an end-of-season press conference at the Zions Bank Basketball Campus in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, April 12, 2023.

Spenser Heaps, Deseret News

Full Story from the Deseret News...