What's new

Did Jazz ask for 'freedom of movement' and now it's biting us in the ***?

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Per the Woj Pod, in 2017, Dennis Lindsey talked at length about our team's style of playing the 'European style' and wanting to 'move bodies' and wanting the refs to not call for all the pulling and grabbing (from 9min. mark of the podcast).

https://art19.com/shows/thewojpod/episodes/9940281d-0b6e-43e4-9f57-bcee648a88e2

BUT - now that's this is translating to the new freedom of movement rules are we adversely affected by it being a defense first team?!?!

Did we effectively 'ask for' freedom of movement but now it's biting us in the ***?

Jazz are 1st in free throw rate by a wide margin and they are 17th in free throw rate allowed. Rudy is on pace to shatter the dunk record.

I dont see how its hurting them that much.

Jazz opponents points was 99.8 points last year (2nd in the League), this year it's 108 points (8th in the League).

In other words the new rule is creating a 'tsunami' of scoring against our defense.

What we had asked for is clearly hurting us.

Jazz are 1st in free throw rate by a wide margin and they are 17th in free throw rate allowed. Rudy is on pace to shatter the dunk record.

I dont see how its hurting them that much.

Sounds like it is possibly helping our offense.
Is it helping the defense too though?

Pretty sure the only rule change Quin asked for was to allow the team to crush their enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

Jazz opponents points was 99.8 points last year (2nd in the League), this year it's 108 points (8th in the League).
So we give up 8 more ppg and drop 7 spots. Hardly a tsunami, especially when other teams are also giving up more points as well.

So we give up 8 more ppg and drop 7 spots. Hardly a tsunami, especially when other teams are also giving up more points as well.
Well we did drop from 2nd to 8th, and +/- from 5th to 11th. 11th is getting close to the average/mediocre level instead of that elite level we were in last year.

It's just interesting that it's something we've specifically ask for as well, it wasn't just enforced on us or anything like that.

In other words the new rule is creating a 'tsunami' of scoring against our defense.

What we had asked for is clearly hurting us.
We're off to a somewhat slow start. For whatever reason(s), we do this every year. I wouldn't worry too much. We'll make the necessary adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

We're off to a somewhat slow start. For whatever reason(s), we do this every year. I wouldn't worry too much. We'll make the necessary adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app
That's not really my point, my point is IF this hurts us - don't forget - we ASKED for this. It was not IMPOSED upon us by any means.

We ASKED the LEAGUE for THIS.

Locke broke down part of the the issue today... teams are making more shots than they should based on shot profile. Inside of a small sample shooting can be wonky.

I think our foul rate is higher than we’d like but we are shooting more free throws... if we’d make our damn threes with any consistency the offensive improvement would be noticeable.

Locke broke down part of the the issue today... teams are making more shots than they should based on shot profile. Inside of a small sample shooting can be wonky.

I think our foul rate is higher than we’d like but we are shooting more free throws... if we’d make our damn threes with any consistency the offensive improvement would be noticeable.
This. It’s pretty obvious.

That's not really my point, my point is IF this hurts us - don't forget - we ASKED for this. It was not IMPOSED upon us by any means.

We ASKED the LEAGUE for THIS.

And we are getting 7 more free throws than last year and our opponents are getting an additional 3 free throws than last year... so yes those additional free throws are killing us... not the fact that opponents are shooting 54% from 2 this year and they were shooting 49% last year.

The defense hasn’t been as consistent but shooting is susceptible to big swings in small samples.