What's new

Does Corbin "Know" he is a lame duck coach or something?

Ben10

This is the only explanation I can see for the Jazz playing the Vets as much as they are.

I have said before that the only flaw in Lindsey's plan to tank this season was leaving Corbin as coach or not extending his contract. Corbin Knows that other teams are looking at him as a coach, He knows he has to win games to get another job if he knows he is not coming back next season. So Corbin is playing who he thinks well win games. It seems to be his only focus. This is not what I thought we were going to get when Lindsey said we were going to develop the youth.

Second. I am all for the Tank and getting a top 3 player in this years draft. But I don't want and would never expect the players to be in or part of that plan. The Management of course. But the Coach is the man that can really make it happen like Mark Jackson did. Thibs and Corbin won't. Jackson saw that he could get a better player for the team he knew he would be coaching the next year. Corbin doesn't.

Last edited:
It's time to come to the realization that Ty isn't going anywhere and there is no tank. Y'all is full of delusionism.

Agree with everything you said.

Corbin is actually looking like a really good coach.... everyone knows thier roles, the differenf lineups are working well together and it seems like the offense has evolved and come a long way.

The problem is that his coaching is finally coming together at THE WORST TIME POSSIBLE

Yup, OP you are correct imo. Jazz should have let his contract expire, let him walk, and hired someone with zero experience who had tanking instilled into them before giving them the job. And given this guy a long term contract, so they have job security--kinda like what boston did.

Agree with everything you said.

Corbin is actually looking like a really good coach.... everyone knows thier roles, the differenf lineups are working well together and it seems like the offense has evolved and come a long way.

The problem is that his coaching is finally coming together at THE WORST TIME POSSIBLE

For him it's not the worst time possible. He's fighting for his career this season (whether on this team or another).

This is the only explanation I can see for the Jazz playing the Vets as much as they are.
Or it could be that Marvin and RJ complement Trey, Gordo and Favors really well, while also leaving plenty of talent on the bench. This isn't rocket science.

Or it could be that Marvin and RJ complement Trey, Gordo and Favors really well, while also leaving plenty of talent on the bench. This isn't rocket science.

I don't disagree with you at all there GVC. But look at it from the POV that I am talking about. If Corbin knew that he was coming back next year and knew that his team would not be including RJ [he knows this] and Marvin [probably not] but he would have Kanter back, and he knows he isn't going to make the playoffs this year wouldn't you think he would roll out the guys he knows he is going to have back?

In a normal coaching year what he is doing makes a lot of sense. This year were we are not going to make the playoff wouldn't make sense to play the guys that are coming back next year and set yourself up to get a better player [what Mark Jackson did]?

My only point was that Corbin being in put in a place were he doesn't have a contract next year is coaching to prove something. That is why he is playing the line ups that work right now over the ones that are going to be there in the future.

Umm... perhaps they're trying to showcase anyone who can do anything. Beans aside, giving players like Jefferson playing time seems like a no-brainer as he actually seems like one of those pieces a 4-6 seed would want off the bench in the playoffs and be happy to trade for come February. You might cherry-pick individual games, but I feel like minute distribution has been pretty good given what those players have brought to the court. Lucas vanished once Trey got settled. Kanter's been getting a little more burn now that he's picked it up again. Evans has been playing well of late and seen more time. The only one who hasn't been seeing time is Gobert and so they put him in D-League to get some floor time.

Perhaps.....

Or, perhaps our young players will develop better in a well-oiled and effective system. And perhaps they develop best on a team that has some fire in the belly, fight and ability to win games. And perhaps they develop well playing with some solid vets with good attitude, solid fundamentals and on-floor coaching.

And perhaps the best way for these things to happen is with Jefferson and Williams on the floor.

How much would they be developing playing with only young guns, or alongside inferior players like Lucas, Harris & Biendris and consistently losing? And how would that culture of losing translate into re-establishing a sustainably highly competitive team?

I don't think it is as simple as "lose at all costs" as some posters seem to believe.

You could be right..... but I would like to know for sure ..... the 20 seconds of time in last nights game that the core 5 played together had the jazz outscoring the thunder 4 to zero.

Maybe kanter and burks could compliment trey, gordon, and derrick AND jeffy and marv could compliment gobert, garret, and jeremy.

I would love a nice 10 game sample size to find out.

Also, since jeffy and marv are less likely to be around next year is it really so great that they compliment trey derrick and gordon....... So next year those three will have to adjust to new players (doesn't seem ideal).

If we were to find out that kanter and burks do in fact work well with trey gordon and derrick then that would be very beneficial going into next year me thinks

Umm... perhaps they're trying to showcase anyone who can do anything. Beans aside, giving players like Jefferson playing time seems like a no-brainer as he actually seems like one of those pieces a 4-6 seed would want off the bench in the playoffs and be happy to trade for come February. You might cherry-pick individual games, but I feel like minute distribution has been pretty good given what those players have brought to the court. Lucas vanished once Trey got settled. Kanter's been getting a little more burn now that he's picked it up again. Evans has been playing well of late and seen more time. The only one who hasn't been seeing time is Gobert and so they put him in D-League to get some floor time.

Why not showcase what burks and kanter can do? Is there a rule that those two can't be traded?

Wouldn't a 4-6 seed love to have a younger, better, and cheaper player (burks) than an older, crappier, more expensive player (jefferson) who will be a free agent at the end of the year too?

Or, perhaps our young players will develop better in a well-oiled and effective system. And perhaps they develop best on a team that has some fire in the belly, fight and ability to win games. And perhaps they develop well playing with some solid vets with good attitude, solid fundamentals and on-floor coaching.

And perhaps the best way for these things to happen is with Jefferson and Williams on the floor.
Perhaps you are correct.
Also perhaps you are wrong.

Perhaps the team would look even more like a well oiled machine with the core 5 starting.
Perhaps gobert, jeremy evans, and garrett would look great with some veteran leadership like jeffy and marv next to them, and improve the bench.

Perhaps next season we would fight deep into the playoffs due to the chemistry and cohesion developed from playing the core five together this year paying dividends.

I would love to be certain of this instead of just saying perhaps and maybe..... but with only 20 seconds of game time together for the core 5 in games like last night we will probably never know.

I guess we will perhaps have to take your word for it

I haven't been the biggest fan of Ty, but you have to admit that the guy works extremely hard. He gets the players to play hard and tries like a motha to win every game. Why should he care about developing the youth when he may not be here to benefit from the development. If he is not renewed, he's going to have to interview for a new gig and he wants to show his new employer that he tried to do everything he could to win. If DL's plan was to keep him after this season, they should have extended him before the season.

This is the nba where coaches get fired like crazy. Corbin has no contract beyond this year, and most believe he is not coming back. He has no loyalty to the future of the Jazz, he only has loyalty to what will help the team win now. Honestly I think he has done a pretty good job this season although it could hurt us getting a top 3 pick.

context

Perhaps you are correct.
Also perhaps you are wrong.

Perhaps the team would look even more like a well oiled machine with the core 5 starting.
Perhaps gobert, jeremy evans, and garrett would look great with some veteran leadership like jeffy and marv next to them, and improve the bench.

Perhaps next season we would fight deep into the playoffs due to the chemistry and cohesion developed from playing the core five together this year paying dividends.

I would love to be certain of this instead of just saying perhaps and maybe..... but with only 20 seconds of game time together for the core 5 in games like last night we will probably never know.

I guess we will perhaps have to take your word for it

Context is important. My post was in response to the categorical statement that the only reason Corbin is playing the lineup is that he knows he is a lame duck. I have provided other logical reasons, that the current approach could reasonably be helping the long-term and short-term interests of the team.

Regarding certainty, you would not be certain if you played all five extensively together, because you could not compare it to the approach TC is using today. You will get what you get and would not know if Ty's approach would have been better or worse. So all we can do is speculate.

because you could not compare it to the approach TC is using today.

What are you talking about? We have had a nice sample size to see the approach that ty is using...... therefore if he would start and play the core 5 together for long stretches for the next 10 games or so, then we would certainly be able to make comparisons.

I don't disagree with you at all there GVC. But look at it from the POV that I am talking about. If Corbin knew that he was coming back next year and knew that his team would not be including RJ [he knows this] and Marvin [probably not] but he would have Kanter back, and he knows he isn't going to make the playoffs this year wouldn't you think he would roll out the guys he knows he is going to have back?

In a normal coaching year what he is doing makes a lot of sense. This year were we are not going to make the playoff wouldn't make sense to play the guys that are coming back next year and set yourself up to get a better player [what Mark Jackson did]?

My only point was that Corbin being in put in a place were he doesn't have a contract next year is coaching to prove something. That is why he is playing the line ups that work right now over the ones that are going to be there in the future.
What you are asking Corbin to do is not what Mark Jackson did. He played lineups of 4 and 5 guards at critical times. He played d-league players down the stretch. He was much more concerned with losing games than he was with developing young talent. His tanking was blatantly obvious.

While I don't think Corbin is exactly NBA Head Coaching material, he seems like a very good/respectable person. Even if the Jazz flat out told him this is his last year coaching the team, I don't think Corbin would intentionally try to **** the Jazz by limiting the playing time and not developing the young players properly. There's no ulterior motives going on here...Corbin is who he is, a coach that will play veterans over young players come hell or highwater. He simply doesn't know any better. That's my theory.