Does Joe have to startM

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Only on days ending in the letter 'y'

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Near the end of the season, I'd love to see Quinn implement a rest period. Mike takes a day off, Joe takes a day off, Rudy (either one) takes a day off... Especially for the older guys. But, yes, when pretty much anyone except Gobert is out, he needs to start. The rest of the time, I think it's great having so many killers on the bench (especially if Jordan gets his shot back).

Ingles should not play minutes with Hassan or JC if possible. That is more important than starting or not. Hassan isnt a great pick and roll player and Ingles needs to play with a big that he can pick and roll with. JC rarely moves the ball and Ingles isnt just a stand in the corner type player on offense. But Royce is that type of player. Royce should play a lot of his minutes with Hassan and JC. Royce is a great hustle type player, he is good running the floor, and he is a decent open 3 point shooter.

Ingles should not play minutes with Hassan or JC if possible. That is more important than starting or not. Hassan isnt a great pick and roll player and Ingles needs to play with a big that he can pick and roll with. JC rarely moves the ball and Ingles isnt just a stand in the corner type player on offense. But Royce is that type of player. Royce should play a lot of his minutes with Hassan and JC. Royce is a great hustle type player, he is good running the floor, and he is a decent open 3 point shooter.
Who would handle playmaking during the JC/Hassan minutes then? Would you be changing up Mike's rotation?

I think it would maximize both Joe's minutes and Rudy's offensive impact. It probably keeps Rudy happy with more touches at the rim.

Yes. Mainly because I view Royce as one of the worst starters in the entire league.
31 minutes for 7 points, 2 assist, and 4.7 rebounds is terrible. Now I think he has a place but 31 minutes for a slightly above average defender? No.

Joe gets 7, 3, 3(14, 4.5 3 as a starter) in 25 and is also a slightly above average defender. Thing is, Joe has been struggling a bit and still does what Royce does. Joe is also a much better guy with the ball in his hands.

Last edited:
Who would handle playmaking during the JC/Hassan minutes then? Would you be changing up Mike's rotation?
JC dominates the ball when he is in. Ingles does very little if any playmaking already with that unit. Conley would play some with them like he does now. Mitchell also play a little with that unit like he does now. Forrest will also get some minutes here.

Yes. Mainly because I view Royce as one of the worst starters in the entire league.
31 minutes for 7 points, 2 assist, and 4.7 rebounds is terrible. Now I think he has a place but 31 minutes for a slightly above average defender? No.

Joe gets 7, 3, 3(14, 4.5 3 as a starter) in 25 and is also a slightly above average defender. Thing is, Joe has been struggling a bit and still does what Royce does. Joe is also a much better guy with the ball in his hands.

We have done tremendously the last two games.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Tony Jones said in his podcast that he has mail that this year is the last that the team will come back without major changes

He should but he won’t. Quin believes he’s found the winning formula and thinks we just need more rolls of the dice.

Starting Joe may be the best thing for Joe, and starting Joe may also be the best thing for Rudy, and starting Joe may be the best thing for ball movement in the starting lineup. But starting Royce is best for Quin because that’s what he decided two years ago.

Joe starting would still give the bench units either Mike or Joe on the floor, and maybe just a few minutes of only Donovan. The bigger question is what you're doing about the early sub of Conley and Gobert and who comes in then (if you're still trying to do Gobert and Conley together against benches). This is also where Kris Dunn is nice.

Can't agree more. It's not Royce's fault, the fact he starts is just indicative of how bad the rest of the team's defense and rebounding is. He'd be an absolute amazing guy off the bench, and having one more guy like him would put them in such a good position, though.

Yes, absolutely. And this isn't just because of the last two games, the sample size is much bigger than that. Ever since we got Conley and Bogey 3 years ago and moved Joe to the bench he has been less effective and then as soon as someone gets hurt and he moves back into the starting lineup he plays way better and the team also seems to play better. He needs a pick and roll big to be effective and Rudy is one of the best in the league, far better than Whiteside. Like I said in another thread yesterday, JC's usage rate is extremely high and Royce's throughout his career has been extremely low and he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective, I think those two would be a perfect fit together off the bench. When Joe comes off the bench he plays far too many minutes with JC and far too few minutes with Gobert.

I'm too lazy, but I wish someone would post Joe's stats over the past 3 seasons when he starts vs. when he comes off the bench, I think the difference would be shocking.

Joe plus Rudy is great... Mike plus Rudy is great. I think you continue to start Royce and just play Joe when Rudy is on the floor. Limit his minutes. When a player is out he gets more. IDK that benching Royce is the best plan... maybe have him come out earlier.