What's new

Donovan Mitchell Wins Second Rookie Of The Month Award

Hypothetical situation: let's say Donovan finishes the season averaging 20 PPG (seems likely). And let's say he loses ROY to Ben Simmons (legit chance this also happens).

Would that make Mitchell the first rookie to average 20 PPG and NOT win ROY? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time this has happened.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Hypothetical situation: let's say Donovan finishes the season averaging 20 PPG (seems likely). And let's say he loses ROY to Ben Simmons (legit chance this also happens).

Would that make Mitchell the first rookie to average 20 PPG and NOT win ROY?

Yes it would.

And look, Ben Simmons is doing incredible things and is equally deserving... but he's not a rookie. Just because he didn't play in a game doesn't mean he didn't spend a year with the team learning the playbook, practicing, meeting with trainers and engaging in strength training, etc. It's a complete fabrication to label him as a rookie.

Would that make Mitchell the first rookie to average 20 PPG and NOT win ROY? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time this has happened.

Melo lost ROY to Lebron while averaging 20 a game

Yes it would.

And look, Ben Simmons is doing incredible things and is equally deserving... but he's not a rookie. Just because he didn't play in a game doesn't mean he didn't spend a year with the team learning the playbook, practicing, meeting with trainers and engaging in strength training, etc. It's a complete fabrication to label him as a rookie.
He didn't play a single minute last season. While I agree it gives him an advantage I still see him as a rookie. Also it's a stupid individual reward which I see as worthless. Donovan has been great if he gets it great. But I see Simmons as a rookie, with an advantage, but still a rookie. It's argued on here all the time that their is no replacement for playing in games. Well he didn't play in games.

This is definetly deserved for Donovan and I’m happy he’s getting noticed and publicized more and more. I’d love to see him win rookie of the year, but aside from the 20 ppg he’s going to need to up his assist and rebounds average to around 5 or 6 each and the Jazz will have to be in the playoffs for him to beat Simmons. If only Simmons could have played one game.....

It's pretty much down to Simmons and Donovan at this point... No other contenders for ROY