What's new

DPOY 2018

No. He missed too many games. I agree with the growing belief that Durant will win it. This has been a downer of a year with Gobert and Leonard out so much with injuries.

Royce. He’s a very rich man’s (Bill Gates’) Draymond Green without the douche factor.

Probably not but who knows. If our streak hits 20 and we're destroying people defensively than he'll get some buzz for it. Otherwise, yeah, he's probably missed too much time.

I ask you that because since Rudy came back, jazz defense completely changed... I know that it is not just thanks to Rudy but it is so impressive to see the difference when he is in and when he is not there. I dunno the jazz defensive rating when Rudy on floor but it should be great

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

I think he could absolutely be in the running and team success will make a big difference. If we can get up to #5 in the West and the team keeps up these defensive numbers he'll definitely have a case.

No he won't and he shouldn't based upon how many games he has missed. KD has as shot as does Al Horford.

I think he's got a decent shot, especially if the Jazz keep rolling. Embiid would be my favorite right now. Probably Horford after that.

KD would be a horrific pick imo, even when he's half-assing it like he has this regular season Draymond is still twice as important to the Warriors defense.

I don't think so and I wouldn't be mad in the least. Injuries. This was a prime year to do it though... still could.... outside shot.

I don’t think he should win, but there’s definitely some buzz about it.

If he played tougher defense, he would be a great candidate. He takes too many plays off. Plus he is a ****ing *****.

I definitely think he has a shot at it. Rudy is already established as a defensive anchor in this league and his body of work over the last two years proves it.

That being said it means the national attention is already focused on his defensive efforts. People look at the Jazz box score to see Rudy's impact on the game.

With us on an 11 game win streak and defensively locking down teams is not a coincidence with Rudy's return. Basketball scolars know our game plan is built around The Towers defense and attribute our success to him.

Yes! Definetly.

Only because there are no other stand out candidates.

Kawhi has been out
Green and GS in general have really fallen away defensively.
KD is the leader atm and no one wants to give it to that snake.
Embiid is the other candidate but he still cant play b2bs so...

Our rise coincides with Goberts return and if he continues that for the rest of the season I expect him to win.

Also, if its a coin toss between 2 guys Rudy will get credit for last year (kinda how these things work).

Here's a list of every DPOY winner and the number of games he played that year.

1983 - Sidney Moncrief (76)
1984 - Sidney Moncrief (79)
1985 - Mark Eaton (82)
1986 - Alvin Robertson (82)
1987 - Michael Cooper (82)
1988 - Michael Jordan (82)
1989 - Mark Eaton (82)
1990 - Dennis Rodman (82)
1991 - Dennis Rodman (82)
1992 - David Robinson (68)
1993 - Hakeem Olajuwon (82)
1994 - Hakeem Olajuwon (80)
1995 - Dikembe Mutombo (82)
1996 - Gary Payton (81)
1997 - Dikembe Mutombo (80)
1998 - Dikembe Mutombo (82)
1999 - Alonzo Mourning (46)
2000 - Alonzo Mourning (79)
2001 - Dikembe Mutombo (75)
2002 - Ben Wallace (80)
2003 - Ben Wallace (73)
2004 - Ron Artest (73)
2005 - Ben Wallace (74)
2006 - Ben Wallace (82)
2007 - Marcus Camby (70)
2008 - Kevin Garnett (71)
2009 - Dwight Howard (79)
2010 - Dwight Howard (82)
2011 - Dwight Howard (78)
2012 - Tyson Chandler (62)
2013 - Marc Gasol (80)
2014 - Joakim Noah (80)
2015 - Kawhi Leonard (64)
2016 - Kawhi Leonard (72)
2017 - Draymond Green (76)

--

On average the DPOY plays 78.8 games.

If Rudy plays every remaining game, he'll finish the season with 56 games played.

Only one player (Zo in 98-99) has played fewer games than Rudy is expected to and won the award. Four players (I've bolded them) have won it while playing fewer than 70 games.

Based on these numbers, I'd say it's obviously unlikely to win the award while playing only 56 (or fewer) games, but it's not impossible; it has happened before, and others have done it in recent years while playing a similar number of games (but, admittedly, still higher than Gobert).

But the right circumstances might be in effect for Rudy to win it. Based on the fact that the usual suspects (Leonard and Green) don't seem to be in the running this time, I'd give Gobert a shot, if 1.) we finish out the season strong (easy schedule will help) and 2.) the advanced stats continue to show how Rudy's defense directly impacts our winning.

I don't think DPOY is completely out of reach, but it'll be tough.

Last edited: