What's new

Eric Paschall is not who I thought he was

SoberasHotRod

Eric Paschall is making me rethink my life as an internet basketball analysis keyboard warrior. I thought he would be unplayable on defense and wreck our offense. He's been great so far. On offense he moves the ball and shoots when open. I don't expect him to keep making his 3's at this rate, but it's nice that he's making them now.

I especially love how he can move his feet on defense and absorb contact. He's committed himself to playing defense so much he even plays defense when on offense:

Eric Paschall is making me rethink my life as an internet basketball analysis keyboard warrior. I thought he would be unplayable on defense and wreck our offense. He's been great so far. On offense he moves the ball and shoots when open. I don't expect him to keep making his 3's at this rate, but it's nice that he's making them now.

I especially love how he can move his feet on defense and absorb contact. He's committed himself to playing defense so much he even plays defense when on offense:

He can’t turn it off… only has one speed.

Makes me wonder what happens with minutes once RGay is back. Paschall has been more than a pleasant surprise.

I though he was Susan Sarandon

i

30BF1FC200000578-3424903-image-m-6_1454217035461.jpg

Ehh I don't see it.

Glad I decided to just drink the koolaid on this one. Yet another instance where I look like a gawddamn genius.

Crashes the boards too.
Even provided comedy when he made ingles pump fake.
He has been a dream so far

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m just glad he’s a better defender on defense than he is on offense.

Paschall's defensive effort has been many times better than I expected. His jumper is wonky and I don't expect it to go in. But the effort on the boards and cutting are legit things.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with him. I really liked what I saw from him skill set wise in the preseason. Nice to see him finally get a payoff game. I think all of his baskets came from offense rebounds, transition, or spots ups which is how he’s going to have to keep playing to make an impact on offense. Defensively his effort has been great and he can really add something with his athleticism and body type.

It’s funny, this is actually much closer to the scouting report for him from his draft profile. He went to GSW and made all rookie from playing totally different and getting buckets without playing much defense. Then last season he got bounced from the rotation and eventually traded because he couldn’t adapt and play like he’s playing now. The Warriors were dying for this type of player and settled in on JTA instead.

Based on his time with GS we all knew the dude could score but he's shown he can defend and play within Quin's offense. The fact we got him for next to nothing and he's good friends with Mitchell is just icing on the cake.

His jumper looks a little more fluid from early preseason. Still has a lot going on there but it’s almost like he removed one of the hitches or extra motions. Maybe it is just going in. I’ve been surprised at how natural he seems as a passer. thought he was a ball stopper. doesnt seem to be the case at all.

He's built like a middle linebacker, and also looks like Draymonds brother. No irony that he plays like Drag.

****, this team is deep. Deepest team we've EVER had, hands down. To think we have a poor man's LeBron on the sidelines that has yet to play is scary for the league.

He is wide, forces players to move around him which takes time, lmao.

Offensively, shot looks good enough. That was the main improvement he needed to make so good for him. When left open, he attacks the glass and he basically has free path to the rim so he is not negative when teams sag off. He is also another point of rim pressure beside Rudy which adds much needed versatility.

I still don't think he can play as a small 5. Especially defending the PnR.

I guess it’s a good thing that I didn’t take a serving of the sour soup that was being offered up on behalf of Paschall this offseason + preseason? Please advise.

What happens when Gay gets back? Paschall deserves to be in the rotation and no one else currently in the rotation deserves to lose minutes. Gay has never played less than 21 minutes a game in his career.

He is wide, forces players to move around him which takes time, lmao.

Offensively, shot looks good enough. That was the main improvement he needed to make so good for him. When left open, he attacks the glass and he basically has free path to the rim so he is not negative when teams sag off. He is also another point of rim pressure beside Rudy which adds much needed versatility.

I still don't think he can play as a small 5. Especially defending the PnR.
Small ball we’d need to switch and defense is going to be compromised right now with Whiteside there is not a huge need to willingly go small. It’s offense where small ball wrecks teams. If he is the roll man and the floor I spread is tough to stop (theoretically). He can do more on the roll than our centers because he can catch, dribble, pass and opens up passing lanes for bounce passes and such that aren’t there with the bigs. He doesn’t have the high catch and finish radius those guys do.

Small ball 5 just has to survive on defense and get a stop here and there. The big benefit is on offense.

What happens when Gay gets back? Paschall deserves to be in the rotation and no one else currently in the rotation deserves to lose minutes. Gay has never played less than 21 minutes a game in his career.
First it’s a great problem to have. Second they likely bring Gay along slowly. Third I don’t know… Whiteside and Paschall are both deserving of time. I think you cut Royce’s minutes and maybe Bogeys too to find 4-5 minutes a night to keep Eric engaged. You might selectively pick nights to rest a guy… including Whiteside to experiment with small lineups. Jared Butlers minutes might disappear. Gay may only get 15 minutes a night. Maybe they find out it works and move Bogey?