ESPN Insider - Why a Millsap-Gasol trade works

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by mikenielsen, Dec 12, 2012.

1. mikenielsen

mikenielsen Member

May 27, 2010
    https://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8739840/nba-breaking-potential-paul-millsap-pau-gasol-trade

If Paul Millsap isn't trying to audition for a Hollywood role, he sure does look the part.

We've heard all sorts of names connected to the Lakers in possible trade talks for Pau Gasol, including Toronto Raptors 7-footer Andrea Bargnani, Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, Denver Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Derrick Williams and Milwaukee Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova.

But one name that should pop up more is Millsap, the Utah Jazz big man. There are a few reasons Millsap probably doesn't garner the attention of a player his caliber: 1) He plays in a small market; 2) he's stuck in a logjam of big men in Utah with varying degrees of upside and productivity; and 3) he doesn't have a flashy game (he dunks about once every three games).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
    Gas likes this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti

Gyp Rosetti Banned

May 26, 2010
    Are you a freakin' rah-tard? Let's give away three of our bigs (Jefferson, Millsap AND Kanter) for a big who's on the wrong side of 30 and may or may not even care to play another year or two.

3. mikenielsen

mikenielsen Member

May 27, 2010
    No way a trade like this happens. Jazz aren't that stupid to trade 3 or our bigs away for an injured Gasol.

4. Urzajazz

Urzajazz Member

May 26, 2010
    "no one is itching to play in Salt Lake..." I hate that line of thinking. Any team can get any player if the money is right.

We're not trading Mo "I want to finish my career in Utah" Williams. The Jazz are definitely not going to pull a deal for an aging Gasol, unproven Kemba, Ben Gordon (who has been mediocre at BEST) and Earl Clark (who??). So the Jazz give up most of their starting line up (Jefferson, Millsap, Williams) and a player with huge upside who is starting to play really well (Kanter) to get what exactly?

The only way something like that happened was if the Jazz were getting a sure fire superstar talent. I don't think Kemba is that talent.

Especially since in this scenario, the Lakers get 2 sure fire starters (Millsap, Williams) their "dream backup" (Bell). Charlotte gets starting and backup center help (Jefferson, Kanter). And Utah's centerpiece is Gasol (who is getting slower by the minute) and Kemba (again, unproven PG prospect).

The Jazz could contend for a playoff spot this year, with some growth from within and a trade of probably Millsap and Burks to get a young/decent PG probably go far into the postseason. I don't see why Utah just couldn't swing a deal with Charlotte without the Lakers. Send Burks/Jefferson draft picks for Kemba if that is who they wanted.

5. Brown Notes

Brown Notes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2011
    Worst trade ever. ESPN jacking off to dreams of Laker sex crimes.

Mr. McGibblets likes this.
  6. franklin

franklin Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Plucked before the lock.

7. HeavenHarris

HeavenHarris Banned

Jun 20, 2011
    i thought posting these articles was against the wishes of the jazzfanz overlords?
    all i know is i woulda been banned like 3 fiddy times by know if i was OP.

8. cjs55

cjs55 Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm not sure what's worse: That people have to pay to read this crap, or that someone gets paid to write it.

9. franklin

Jul 20, 2010
    Q: Who would consider this if Kemba was swapped for Hendo and MKG?

10. mhindy

mhindy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    A: Not Charlotte.

11. franklin

Jul 20, 2010
    You think Kanter is that much worse than MKG?
    They also trade garbage contracts for Jefferson. Pretty damn good deal for them IMO.

12. Thee jazz fan

Thee jazz fan Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I give you the Espn product! Barf.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  13. Weezur

Weezur Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    So....Jefferson, Milsap, Kanter, Mo, and Bell
    for Gasol and the world's smallest shooting gaurd?

Only the Lindsay Lohan of GMs would do this.

14. Xsy

Xsy Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    It started out sounding okay, and got more ridiculous the more I read it.

15. spycam1

spycam1 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    This isn't even worth discussing.

16. UGLI baby

UGLI baby Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Wow MikeNielsen.

Not only did you just break several laws by posting an Insider article, but you used your real name as your screen name thus gauranteeing the police WILL find you and imprisonize you t the full extend of the laws.

Enjoy the holiday's with your family while you still can.

Mr. McGibblets likes this.
  17. JayCamjazzfan

JayCamjazzfan Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Take out kanter and I think I'm good with this. Starting 5 o' the future.
    Kemba
    Alec
    God
    Sexual
    Turkey

Thats all I care about

I don't give 2 ****s about value.

18. Chad Feldheimer

Chad Feldheimer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Why a Millsap-Gasol trade doesn't work

Jazz don't want to gut their team for an overpaid oft injured guy in his 30s when they already have 4 starting caliber players at that position already.

Lakers would presumably rather trade him out of the conference if possible.

19. DutchJazzer

DutchJazzer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    but but but, it's the lakers!!!!

they can do whatever they want

20. theNBAnerd

theNBAnerd Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    for starters, i hate the "wrong side of 30" argument. there is no wrong side of 30. some of the all-time greats needed until their 30s to really understand the game and put all the pieces together -- that was true of jordan, true of dream, certainly true of our franchise's best two guys.

so the argument against pau isn't that he's 32 - the argument against him is that he is 32 with two bad knees and a bad back.