What's new

Final individual preseason stats for the 8

seattlejazzfan

G-time - 29 MPG, 51% FG, 50% 3pt, 87% FT, 4 reb, 4 asts, 3 TO, 15 ppg, league leading 2.6 steals

Burke - 29 MPG, 46% FG, 47% 3pt 59% FT, 3 reb, 5 asts, 2 TO, 16 ppg

Burks - 32 MPG, 46% FG, 22% 3pt, 74% FT, 4 reb, 2 asts, 3 TO, 18 ppg, league leading 10 FTA per game

Favors - 24 MPG 55% FG, No 3pt, 63% FT, 9 reb, 1 asts, 2 TO, 13 ppg

Kanter - 27 MPG 44% FG, 20% 3pt 75% FT, 7 reb, 1 asts, 2 TO, 12 ppg

Rudy - 21 MPG, 59% FG, No 3pt, 68% FT, 9 reb, 1 asts, 1 TO, 7 ppg, 2 blocked shots per game

Exum - 20 MPG, 37% FG, 33% 3pt, 80% FT, 1 reb, 3 asts, 3 TO, 6 ppg

Hood - 25 MPG, 41% FG, 40% 3pt, 50% FT, 5 reb, 1 asts, 1 TO, 7 ppg

Looks like the starters shot about 50%, very nice. Burke needs to shoot >59% on ft???? And he needs more assists than 5. Burks and Kanter need to up the 3 pt fg %.

Love the fg% and the 3or % of Hayward, Burke and Hood.

Some of those FT% are joke though.

Didn't Burke shoot about 90 percent FT last year for the entire season, so I wouldn't worry about his FT %

He only went to the line 1.6 x a game last year though, so be cognizant of sample size. His college #'s had him at 77%, so I think we should expect him to be somewhere between the two, like in the low 80's.

I'm loving that 74% from Burks from the line. If he can improve to an 80% FT shooter and get to the line 10 times a game, that's just damn near double figures every game in the books for him.

I'm a bit shocked how poor a FT shooter Hood is though. I hope it's just a sample size anomaly.

I'm loving that 74% from Burks from the line. If he can improve to an 80% FT shooter and get to the line 10 times a game, that's just damn near double figures every game in the books for him.

I'm a bit shocked how poor a FT shooter Hood is though. I hope it's just a sample size anomaly.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-hood-1.html

Hood went 27-41 at Miss St. which is 66% as a true freshman.

He went 109-135 at Duke which is 81% as a RS Sophomore I believe.

I'd guess he is more of 80% shooter than 66% shooter now.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-hood-1.html

Hood went 27-41 at Miss St. which is 66% as a true freshman.

He went 109-135 at Duke which is 81% as a RS Sophomore I believe.

I'd guess he is more of 80% shooter than 66% shooter now.

Hood probably shot 1 FTA per game his Freshman year (Trey Burke style anemic getting to the FT line early on), so that is a really weird sample amount to get an accurate % read.

Those stats don't capture how good Favors was this pre-season. I think he's our most important player

Those stats don't capture how good Favors was this pre-season. I think he's our most important player

I'd argue Burke is. The dropoff from Favors to Gobert/Kanter at the 5 is not nearly as big as from Burke to Exum/Clark (or Murry). But that doesn't really mean that he is the best player on the team. Just that the Jazz have more depth at certain positions. For example, Jazz lose Hayward or Burks and they can survive because Hood can start, with other players filling in backup minutes.

I'd argue Burke is. The dropoff from Favors to Gobert/Kanter at the 5 is not nearly as big as from Burke to Exum/Clark (or Murry). But that doesn't really mean that he is the best player on the team. Just that the Jazz have more depth at certain positions. For example, Jazz lose Hayward or Burks and they can survive because Hood can start, with other players filling in backup minutes.

Who cares about the drop off. Kanter and gobert are probably not going to be all stars. Favors and hayward have that chance, and maybe burks one day. I would say favors and hayward are most important, then exum, Burke and burks.

Actually, if you look closely, they do capture it. He averaged 13 and 9 on 55% FGs in just 24 minutes a game. That is light's out.

Per 36, that's about 19 and 14 on 55% FGs. Those are all-star numbers for a 5 in the NBA.

Still don't think Hayward is worth anything close to a max contract...BUT...

If G-time can average 15/4/4 on 50%FG/50%3pt for a season, i'll be like a pig in ****...I firmly believe that these numbers are his sweet spot, anything more and he's taking on too much of role and he'll fall on his face like last season. I was very pleased with his overall performance in the preseason. Hope it continues.

Who cares about the drop off. Kanter and gobert are probably not going to be all stars. Favors and hayward have that chance, and maybe burks one day. I would say favors and hayward are most important, then exum, Burke and burks.

I was just qualifying what "important" might mean. Important this year? If Utah were to lose one player to a season-ending injury, who would impact the win/loss record the most?

Or do you mean in 3-5 years? Good 5's always have a high premium, so I'd put Favors at the top of the list. I'd also rank Gobert pretty high. Rudy can be an elite defender. Burke? Meh. He'll be a quality rotation player, but never elite. Hayward is a great all-around player if his shooting % bounces back.