What's new

First Trade Idea of the Year

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Alright... so improving the team now and in the future is hard because we are good and don't have much to offer. There is going to be a fire sale in Houston... they have guys I think could help us that I have mentioned before like Sterling Brown.

So this thought occurred to me. We can offer a first round pick... just need to have it convey two years after the pick we owe to Memphis (it will be headed out in 2022 most likely). We need an enforcer, a wing defender, and cheap labor for next year (cuz the tax bill gonna get LARGE if we keep Mike).

Enter Jae'Sean Tate. Basically he's the exact type of live physical body you'd want on Lebron, Kawhi, Zion, Giannis. Listed at 6'4" but he's built like a defensive end. Shooting the ball well enough right now... rebounds well..., gets steals, blocks, deflections at a good rate. I like Oni but he's way to light in the shorts to handle the power wings we need help with.

Tate is also 25 and locked up on a minimum deal for two more years after this one. So you put him in the Niang minutes and give a couple of the Royce minutes to him so both guys are fresh. Next year when we are defending our title we can move Bojan to make the budget work and just allocate more minutes to Tate/Niang/Oni

I think they would do it. Cash in now... plus they owe a pick to OKC and need to be bottom 4 for sure. They have to tank and tank hard. Guys like Tate will win games on effort and every game counts.

We go all in! Who cares about the picks... they will just draft guys we don't like anyway.

No thanks. I’m not sure he’s better than what we have and not worth it, he’s not really going to make a big enough difference guarding the LBJ’s of the nba to justify trading for him. Waste of time.

Where the hell is LoPo? At least he suggested trades for players worth considering, well except for what’s his name on the Knicks who is a total benchwarmer.

No thanks. I’m not sure he’s better than what we have and not worth it, he’s not really going to make a big enough difference guarding the LBJ’s of the nba to justify trading for him. Waste of time.
He's very Royce-y... Royce only gets 6 fouls in the playoffs then you are guarding those wings with Ingles/Bojan/Niang.

I think this guy is PJ Tucker but before he was washed.

Where the hell is LoPo? At least he suggested trades for players worth considering, well except for what’s his name on the Knicks who is a total benchwarmer.
Dude you a casual if you don't think this guy will help us... You suggest JJ who we can't even trade for because we don't have matching salary and JJ would need to play over Mike, DM, JC, or Ingles... all of whom are better than him.

GTFO... go take your pills old man.

I don't like trading a first round pick for a guy who is probably going to have a hard time seeing the floor. He is a good defender and probably more physical than Royce, but his offensive game really does not fit and the theoretical defensive upgrade isn't enough for me.

I say this a lot, but we really overrate on ball defense. If we signed prime Ron Artest to guard LeBron, LeBron is getting whoever Mike Conley is guarding to set a screen to force a switch or other compromising position for us.

Don't we already have that fireplug guy in Brantley? The guy I want from Houston should be a snap to pick up - Rodions Kurucs. Send them Morgan and a second rounder and he's ours. Wrong complexion to play for Silas, but he's got skills and reminiscent of AK47 with a better J.

I don't like trading a first round pick for a guy who is probably going to have a hard time seeing the floor. He is a good defender and probably more physical than Royce, but his offensive game really does not fit and the theoretical defensive upgrade isn't enough for me.

I say this a lot, but we really overrate on ball defense. If we signed prime Ron Artest to guard LeBron, LeBron is getting whoever Mike Conley is guarding to set a screen to force a switch or other compromising position for us.
Fair enough... I think you need wing defense and forcing them to run action to get the switch has value. Adding more quality defenders and rebounders will help as you rotate and Tate has versatility to handle bigs... no one gonna post his big ***. Mike and DM will be targeted though for sure.

I just don't think Tate is available. They like him and would probably develop him then sell when his values higher.

I just don't think Tate is available. They like him and would probably develop him then sell when his values higher.
If we offered a 1st they'd choose to wait until when? How much more you think they'd get? A BIG part of his value is he is cheap for 2.5 years... if they wait that value declines imo.

You may be right and he'd likely be the guy they would most want to keep of the House, Brown, Nwaba group.

Forgot in my OP... Tate is the guy that got into it with Harden in practice. He has that tough guy enforcer kinda attitude I think we need.

Is Tate even better than Oni or Morgan? The Jazz will probably get older if anything, going to a guy with experience to bolster bench.

Is Tate even better than Oni or Morgan? The Jazz will probably get older if anything, going to a guy with experience to bolster bench.
I think so... he fits more of a need imo. Morgan I like as a backup 5 almost exclusively. As you have noted he may not have the size for that role... otherwise Morgan is just a end of roster filler guy.

Oni is intriguing but I think he will struggle vs big wings. I see him as more of a 2/3 and Tate more of a 3/4.

Tate is similar to Royce imo but just a bit bigger and more physical. Royce is a better shooter. If I could duplicate Royce and put him on this roster I would. Like Royce is a Tacoma... Tate is a Tundra.

HH's record on diamonds in the rough is without peer - and those are the only moves the Jazz have at this point - so I'm in.

Last edited:
HH's record on diamonds in the rough is without peer - and those are the only moves the Jazz have at this point - so I'm in.
I just think there is always a place for these types on winning teams. I really liked Bruce Brown and he's finding a big role on the Nets. Tate is a different type of player but I think he could find a really great role in a similar way. I really like "do ****" players that do other **** other than just shoot or score.

He also looks like a guy that is no fun to play against... Just thick and physical. I think you could use him on the big wings and some of the guys like Jokic and AD. Guys built like Tate that have a lower center of gravity are tough for dudes to post up

This is a type of guy we need... remember a couple weeks ago when Jimmy steam rolled us... watch Tate stand him up multiple times... then he switches to Bam and Bam can't do anything with him in the post. He kinda flexes on em too... he's not afraid of these guys. He's also done well switching onto guys like Dame.

I don't know if a first would get it done, but I'd try like hell if I was DL.

He went to Pickerington High School, which was my last area on my mission. That’s gotta mean something, right?

The downside? Trey Burke was from my third area.

I love trading but I love the potential of this roster more. I don't see the reason to trade any of our top 8 guys and none of the others make enough to entertain any substantial deals.

It's a stand pat type deadline.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app