What's new

Forget Matthews; trade for RUDY FERNANDEZ

Pastramiking

Not that the Trailblazers are in the business of helping the Jazz (although they did in the Deron Williams trade), but I think the Jazz should propose a side deal with the Blazers. Utah will not match the Wesley Matthews offer sheet, if Portland is willing to trade Rudy Fernandez for the Eric Maynor Trade Exception ($1.3m) and maybe a future second round draft pick (or better yet that European player that Utah got in the Maynor-OKC trade). Utah gets a quality small forward at an extremely affordable price ($1.2m) , who is in the doghouse with Portland and wants to go elsewhere. Portland gets Matthews, a player they obviously want and for whom they are willing to overpay. The Jazz, in theory, have the leverage, as they could threaten to repeat the Millsap match, and the trade exception to do this. Utah just has to somehow convince Portland to it. I think it is a nearly perfect plan. Utah would still have the full MLE to sign Ronnie Brewer and Udonis Haslem, or the like.

Rudy Fernandez is well liked in Portland, i'd doubt they'd just hand him over to a division rival

Would the Jazz want Matthews more than Fernandez? Rudy, by the way, is more of a 2 than a 3. He's not nearly as strong or athletic as Matthews, so doesn't have the tools to play defense like Matthews, but he is more skiillful, a better shooter and ball handler.

The problem is by losing Matthews, we need a starting SG. Fernandez is a decent backup SG, but as already noted ain't much defensively against the likes of Kobe Bryant and such... NOT a starter quality SG, IMHO...

Wasnt Rudy in the dunk competition? I think he is a pretty good athlete. I think its a great idea, but no way Portland just gives us Rudy.

Portland fans would jump for joy if they could get rid of Fernandez. He's a bit of a sulker and whiner. Doubt if Sloan would want to put up with it.

I'd love to get Rudy. Much better price and he's pretty clutch. He probably knows this and gets frustrated riding the pine.

Not that the Trailblazers are in the business of helping the Jazz (although they did in the Deron Williams trade), but I think the Jazz should propose a side deal with the Blazers. Utah will not match the Wesley Matthews offer sheet, if Portland is willing to trade Rudy Fernandez for the Eric Maynor Trade Exception ($1.3m) and maybe a future second round draft pick (or better yet that European player that Utah got in the Maynor-OKC trade). Utah gets a quality small forward at an extremely affordable price ($1.2m) , who is in the doghouse with Portland and wants to go elsewhere. Portland gets Matthews, a player they obviously want and for whom they are willing to overpay. The Jazz, in theory, have the leverage, as they could threaten to repeat the Millsap match, and the trade exception to do this. Utah just has to somehow convince Portland to it. I think it is a nearly perfect plan. Utah would still have the full MLE to sign Ronnie Brewer and Udonis Haslem, or the like.

Can we agree NOT to match their offer to Wes in order to trade our TPE for Rudy??

Dumb idea. It would be like trading Matthews straight up for Fernandez ... not sure though of the money involved. But look at it this way: they want to get rid of Fernandez but we don't want to get rid of Matthews. So we would be giving them what they want, not what we want. We can't let ourselves be bullied by them, or this will continue in the future. Some people are saying let Matthews walk. But is that really in our best interest in the long term? Next year, AK will be off the books, and if Matthews performs up to expectations, his contract won't look so bad.

Dumb idea. It would be like trading Matthews straight up for Fernandez ... not sure though of the money involved. But look at it this way: they want to get rid of Fernandez but we don't want to get rid of Matthews. So we would be giving them what they want, not what we want. We can't let ourselves be bullied by them, or this will continue in the future. Some people are saying let Matthews walk. But is that really in our best interest in the long term? Next year, AK will be off the books, and if Matthews performs up to expectations, his contract won't look so bad.

Yes, it would be trading Wesley for Rudy but ppl have to take in accout of the $$ Wes is going to make vs Rudy's contract.

yeah, if Portland is done with Rudy and would give him to the Jazz for the Maynor exception go for it.

Now - there is a Maynor exception of around what Rudy makes - a million something, isn't there? It's not a lot and I doubt the Jazz get a chance to use it. For that price Rudy's way better than some D-leaguer. I don't know what Rudy's issues are - maybe it's just Portland - but he is a really good player and pretty clutch.

then go get Brewer and let those two share duties at SG.

Fernandez is a very good athlete. May in fact be a better athlete than Matthews. He does have hops, but as has been said do you really think the Trailblazer would trade him to us for a TPE? Dont think they would do anything to help us.

Wasnt Rudy in the dunk competition? I think he is a pretty good athlete. I think its a great idea, but no way Portland just gives us Rudy.

Yes, he can jump, but if you saw the playoffs, he's not very strong and gets pushed around when defending, like AK. Also, Matthews is faster and quicker.

I heard a Portland guy get interviewed on 1280 this morning. He said Rudy is so unhappy in Portland he will not be in a Portland uni next year. But he said they haven't been able to unload Rudy to anyone because there's talk of backdoor deals he has or something -- did anyone else hear this? It was confusing. I don't know if Rudy's got deals with his buddies in Spain or what, and I wonder if he's just hoping to go back to Europe or something. Darko was wanting to go back to Europe too but he got more playing time in minnesota and now has changed his tune and is staying. Maybe Rudy just hates riding the pine, which looking at the Jazz roster he wouldnt do in Utah. I dunno - if all it costs the Jazz is the Maynor exception, and telling Portland they won't match Matthews' offer, I say do it. He'll have fellow euros AK and Memo here, and Memo always puts a smile on my face. That coupled with playing time might yield the Jazz a much better player than Matthews.