What's new

Free Miye Oni

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
His stat line in the Stars win last night:

17 points, 11 rebounds, and 9 assists

Over his last 12 games he’s shooting 44% from 3 on 6.2 attempts a game (33-75 total).

Get this man some minutes. He’s a capable defender and can shoot the 3. He can’t play worse than what our team has lately.

Over his last 12 games he’s shooting 44% from 3 on 6.2 attempts a game (33-75 total).

Get this man some minutes. He’s a capable defender and can shoot the 3. He can’t play worse than what our team has lately.
That’s great but what if he doesn’t set amazing screens and doesn’t always know exactly where to be... athleticism and length aren’t as valuable as knowing the playbook and using the correct angles on your picks.

Free any of the G league guys except Tucker or NWG and I’m cool.

This is horrible take of the year material. Idiot!!

IMO it’s safe to say he’s not worthy to play over any wing that gets mins on this team. We shouldn’t be that desperate. He’s not that talented imo of course
Give him Niang's minutes... not the best option... but not the worst... look - anything is worth a shot and this kid has a chance to be solid... we desperately need someone with his physical profile right now... just not sure he's good enough.

Give him Niang's minutes... not the best option... but not the worst... look - anything is worth a shot and this kid has a chance to be solid... we desperately need someone with his physical profile right now... just not sure he's good enough.

that’s laughable at best. I get it, Niang isn’t some revelation or anything but he al least has experience and an elite skill.

I’m not going to get into a debate of him having a shot at being loud as you put it. Maybe he will be solid, but not this year. We are trying to win not develop players at the detriment of team success.

as for his physical profile goes, if he were 6-7 or 6-8 220-230lbs you might have a point. He’s not taking Niang’s mins, he’s taking Oneale’s minutes off the perimeter where the jazz need him most because Oni isn’t going to guard bigs. I get it, it’s fandom, fandom leads to fanatical thoughts, this is one of them in a big way. If you were to step back from your fandom, you’d see my point.

I don’t see Oni as a player, but even if he is the key is it’s not this year. He isn’t going to make us better, in fact there’s a better chance he makes us worse.

4th biggest wingspan on the team, behind only Rudy, Tony Bradley, Ed Davis. He can throw lob passes. Great athleticism and tools. Give him a shot.

that’s laughable at best. I get it, Niang isn’t some revelation or anything but he al least has experience and an elite skill.

I’m not going to get into a debate of him having a shot at being loud as you put it. Maybe he will be solid, but not this year. We are trying to win not develop players at the detriment of team success.

as for his physical profile goes, if he were 6-7 or 6-8 220-230lbs you might have a point. He’s not taking Niang’s mins, he’s taking Oneale’s minutes off the perimeter where the jazz need him most because Oni isn’t going to guard bigs. I get it, it’s fandom, fandom leads to fanatical thoughts, this is one of them in a big way. If you were to step back from your fandom, you’d see my point.

I don’t see Oni as a player, but even if he is the key is it’s not this year. He isn’t going to make us better, in fact there’s a better chance he makes us worse.
If we had two Royce’s then Niang wouldn’t see the floor and we’d be better for it.

Not saying he’s Royce, not saying he’s ready, not even saying he’s the g league guy we should try... that is the argument for him though. It’s probably too late in the season to really try it though.

Oni is interesting... if his three point shooting stays consistent with his most recent 10-15 games he does some other things well and has physical tools that are hard to find. Probably needs another summer of work but I’m all for trying **** at this point.

At times Oni looks like a stud and other times he looks like he's never played basketball before. I can see why he was drafted.

We are trying to win not develop players at the detriment of team success.

I get your point and you are probably right that it's too early to try Oni. But actually what are we trying to win right now? We are practically sure we will be in the playoffs and we don't have a realistic shot at top 4, it may turn out that finishing 7th could be the best if Nuggets stay in the second place (not that I am confident we would beat them in series anyway, they are better than last year). We are not the contenders so it wouldn't harm to give a guy some chance thinking about the future.

I stopped reading after this. Your desire to play Oni is pure fiction and irrational thought and the fact the jazz are in a dry spell
Well you should have kept reading because I stated clearly that I’m not sure he should be playing even over the other g league guys... I don’t have a desire to play him right now but it’s not a crazy thing to state that maybe we should try. I’d give Brantley a shot first personally.

Well you should have kept reading because I stated clearly that I’m not sure he should be playing even over the other g league guys... I don’t have a desire to play him right now but it’s not a crazy thing to state that maybe we should try. I’d give Brantley a shot first personally.
I’d give Brantley a shot, that’s it. I think he will grow into a very good player weather that means he’s a future starter or glue guy off the Bench.

I wouldn't say play him... But on the other hand, if the team is playing this poor then they should play him and Brantley and Tucker and anyone else until the vets feel like playing.

Oni will replace Ingles when he retires. I think he will be that good. Best player the Jazz drafted since Donovan Mitchell. You can come back and refer to this post again and again. When I try to visualize a player I try to give them some leeway - some players that evolve are like Paul Pierce, smooth, but not electric abilities. I see that in him.

Brantley is in the mold of Al Jefferson/Millsap. He loves to take into the post and improvise (which can be hit and miss, but mostly hit), but has great skill outside the paint.