What's new

Gobert and Kanter in a Microcosm

BYE

Not sure if this needs its own thread, but this didn't really get any burn. Listen to the first minute of this to hear most everyone's opinion of the matter in a microcosm.

https://www.nba.com/games/20150118/UTASAS/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Oh, and Gobert is tied for #2 in the league in blocks with 21 minutes/game!

If Gobert had 30 minutes/game, he'd be DPOY.

Also, Marc Stein and Zach Lowe discussing Rudy Gobert as a potential most-improved-player candidate:

I was too afraid, @ZachLowe_NBA, to pick The French Rejection as my preseason MIP cause I didn't think he'd play enough. #regrets

RT @ZachLowe_NBA: @ESPNSteinLine First-round pick in Year 2 is a dicey MIP candidate as you often point out. Improvement is expected, right?

As far away as he was in Year 1, I think Gobert would have superceded my own made-up rules ... though Butler's got this thing wrapped anyway

Last edited:
Jazz need to trade Kanter ASAP.

or bench him. Either one...

Last edited:
Why Gobert isn't starting now is puzzling. The team is so much better with him and Favors on the court.

I saw "Block Cousteau" as a suggested nickname for Gobert, think I might like it better than Stifle Tower.

Locke said kanter has 1 assist in the last 224 minutes of play or something. I love kanter, but that's pretty unacceptable.

If Kanter gets the ball in the post, the ball isn't coming back.

If Kanter gets the ball within 15 feet on a faceup, the ball isn't coming back.

Never seen a player with such bad floor awareness in my life.

And of course,

Remember the man who has sent Rudy to D-League.

He had 8 games in there. 27 minutes per game.

Here's per 36:

SeasonTmGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2013-14BAK882166.79.0.7410.00.06.79.0.7415.27.3.7056.09.215.20.50.84.01.83.018.5

74% from 2 and 70% from the line for that size is impressive enough for me that he can be more contributive than Enes. Not to mention that he had jumped a few levels above his last year status. He is seriously exciting right now, I cannot imagine what he could bring over this next season.

---What's funny is the guy recapping the game is as inexplicably obsessed with Gobert as I am and that he jabs Kanter as well.

---I don't miss a game now just so that I can see what Gobert's going to do next.

---Kanter's court vision is the most disturbing to me, but the fact that he doesn't have a perfect position is unsettling as well. Does he play best as center or pf? Too limited vertically for C and too slow and unable to pass for a pf.

Competition is a great thing. I'm glad that Rudy has pushed Kanter out of the way. At least in our minds. Kanter may respond with this pressure. It can't hurt. He feels it. He seems the impact, and the love Gobert is getting. Kanter might be a lot more enjoyable off the bench. Quin has to start Gobert, and reward his intensity, and impact on the game. Play the best players, and challenge players like Kanter to get better.

If Kanter gets the ball in the post, the ball isn't coming back.

If Kanter gets the ball within 15 feet on a faceup, the ball isn't coming back.

Never seen a player with such bad floor awareness in my life.

This is my biggest gripe with Kanter. I was able to let it slide those first couple of seasons as I thought he was just trying to make an impact on the game as a young player, but now in his 4th season he still gets the ball in these spots and doesn't see any other option besides putting his head down and bullying to the hoop or taking a jumper. The defense AND offense are flat out better when Favors/Gobert are on the court. I'm sure Quin/DL know this and want to start running with it, but I'm sure they have a plan with Kanter as well.

This is my biggest gripe with Kanter. I was able to let it slide those first couple of seasons as I thought he was just trying to make an impact on the game as a young player, but now in his 4th season he still gets the ball in these spots and doesn't see any other option besides putting his head down and bullying to the hoop or taking a jumper. The defense AND offense are flat out better when Favors/Gobert are on the court. I'm sure Quin/DL know this and want to start running with it, but I'm sure they have a plan with Kanter as well.
On top of that it seems like he consistently gets less and less passes from teammates. Now if he isn't hot he doesn't get ball often and when he finally gets it he feels pressure to show he is an option which leads to not so good plays. He is incredibly weak mentally. There are no fundamental flaws in his game. It's all in his head and it's up to Quin to either fix it or admit failure and let him go until he is completely ruined.

Locke said kanter has 1 assist in the last 224 minutes of play or something. I love kanter, but that's pretty unacceptable.

Yeah, that's the kind of numbers that would make Yinka Dare jump out of his grave and say "Damn Enes, you gotta give up the rock a little more".