What's new

Gobert to Portland Trade Idea

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
Let’s say the FO’s decision is to keep Donovan and trade Rudy.

Portland seems like one of the best suitors.

The deal should look something like this:

Gobert for Bledsoe, #6 pick, 2024 Portland unprotected first, and 2025 Milwaukee unprotected 1st

Bledsoe’s salary of 19.4M is only 3.9M guaranteed if he’s waived by June 29th which is 6 days after the draft.

Portland’s salary would be just shy of 112M after this deal which is 10M under the projected salary cap of 122M for the 2022-23 season. They can then explore sign-and-trades for Nurkic.

Utah’s salary would be around 119M after the trade which is 3M under the salary cap and 30M under the luxury tax.

The #6 pick is a great pick to have in this draft. We get salary flexibility back and add some decent assets to our pretty empty cupboard.

We could then explore dealing Bogey/Conley/Royce with picks attached for some upgrades.

Portland does this because it is a last all-in move with Lillard/Gobert and they have trade options with Simons/Hart/Nurkic to find a third piece.

I like it. I think Portland is desperate to get Dame some help, and their front office isn't as aggressive as ours. I think they're a good destination for Gobert. Dame is a pick-and-roll player who could make a living shooting behind Gobert screens. Jazz should cash in on Gobert while they still can and then use those assets to retool around Mitchell. If it doesn't work, the Jazz can trade Mitchell in a year or two.

Jazz should also trade Conley, get bigger and more athletic, and push the pace more.

Last edited:
I believe any player being traded in the summer with a non-guaranteed deal for the next year becomes guaranteed in the trade.

If that is the case they keep him and waive him. Only a difference of 3.9M. More savings for us.
I may be misreading you, but his whole 19.4 would guarantee.

ETA or do you mean Portland? NM that’s probably what you meant.

Portland would probably need to sign-and-trade Nurkic and include him in the deal with Bledsoe. Bledsoe's deal would be guaranteed, and the Jazz would need another pick included to take that contract. Jazz might then expand this to a 3-team trade.

Jazz could potentially take one of the FRPs in the package and trade it with Mike Conley to Detroit for Jerami Grant.

Portland would probably need to sign-and-trade Nurkic and include him in the deal with Bledsoe. Bledsoe's deal would be guaranteed, and the Jazz would need another pick included to take that contract. Jazz might then expand this to a 3-team trade.

Jazz could potentially take one of the FRPs in the package and trade it with Mike Conley to Detroit for Jerami Grant.

No, they don’t have any leverage if they sign-and-trade Nurkic to us. That doesn’t help them at all. He’s an asset only because they can go over the cap to sign him.

No, they don’t have any leverage if they sign-and-trade Nurkic to us. That doesn’t help them at all. He’s an asset only because they can go over the cap to sign him.

They need to match salary to trade for Gobert. If they don't include Nurkic, they'll need to send Bledsoe plus Hart. Not sure they'd want to do that. If Portland makes the lottery pick for Utah and sends that player in the trade, that helps, but it may only be in the $5 million range.

They need to match salary to trade for Gobert. If they don't include Nurkic, they'll need to send Bledsoe plus Hart. Not sure they'd want to do that. If Portland makes the lottery pick for Utah and sends that player in the trade, that helps, but it may only be in the $5 million range.

No they don’t. They’re way under the cap they are sitting at 93M and the cap is 122M they only need to send out around 9M.

No they don’t. They’re way under the cap they are sitting at 93M and the cap is 122M they only need to send out around 9M.

Okay, ESPN's trade machine thinks the Blazers are still over the cap. Ingles, Nurkic and some other guys will be coming off their books at the end of the cap year.

Okay, ESPN's trade machine thinks the Blazers are still over the cap. Ingles, Nurkic and some other guys will be coming off their books at the end of the cap year.

Yes, they only have 93M worth of contracts that includes Bledsoe’s 19.4M. So actually if they just waive him and eat the 3.9M they would have enough cap space to just absorb Gobert’s contract without sending any salary back.

Yes, they only have 93M worth of contracts that includes Bledsoe’s 19.4M. So actually if they just waive him and eat the 3.9M they would have enough cap space to just absorb Gobert’s contract without sending any salary back.
They functionally have zero cap space my friend… to get cap space they have to waive cap holds for Ingles, Nurkic, Simons and waive Bledsoe… plus minimum cap holds if they drop below 8 guys under contract. Plus they’d have to waive a valuable trade exception of 20M. Just trust me here… they will operate as an above the cap team.

They functionally have zero cap space my friend… to get cap space they have to waive cap holds for Ingles, Nurkic, Simons and waive Bledsoe… plus minimum cap holds if they drop below 8 guys under contract. Plus they’d have to waive a valuable trade exception of 20M. Just trust me here… they will operate as an above the cap team.

- Waive Ingles cap hold
- Waive Nurkic cap hold
- Waive Swanigan cap hold
- Waive Bledsoe
- Trade us the #6 pick

That puts them at 101M with 14 players including their cap holds. If they waive any of the cap holds of the other 6 scrubs they have and replace them with minimum salary they can gain more space. The salary cap is 122M.

We’d have to take Hart and Winslow back in the deal to make it work.

Hart/Winslow/#6/Milwaukee’s 2025 unprotected pick for Gobert

Is there anything in this proposal that seems too outlandish?

If the Jazz are moving Gobert, I think they'll call every team in the top half of the lottery. They'll make it clear that they want a top 8 pick for Gobert--e.g., Sacramento, San Antonio, New Orleans, Portland, Washington, etc.

Last edited:
The rumor is that Sacramento Kings' GM could get fired if he doesn't make the playoffs this season. I could see the Kings as another sleeper team with interest in Gobert. They'd also be able to offer a top-8 pick. I know they have Sabonis, but he can play out on the floor, and he's currently playing minutes as PF next to other bigs.

Harrison Barnes and a top 7-10 pick might be worth doing for the Jazz.

Last edited:
- Waive Ingles cap hold
- Waive Nurkic cap hold
- Waive Swanigan cap hold
- Waive Bledsoe
- Trade us the #6 pick

That puts them at 101M with 14 players including their cap holds. If they waive any of the cap holds of the other 6 scrubs they have and replace them with minimum salary they can gain more space. The salary cap is 122M.

We’d have to take Hart and Winslow back in the deal to make it work.

Hart/Winslow/#6/Milwaukee’s 2025 unprotected pick for Gobert

Is there anything in this proposal that seems too outlandish?
I think they’d rather retain Nurkic, Hart, #6, and the trade exception… as well as they keep their MLE and BAE.

Or they guarantee Bledsoe and send him to us in the trade… even if they aren’t planning to keep Nurkic waiving his bird rights means they can’t sign and trade him.

I believe any player being traded in the summer with a non-guaranteed deal for the next year becomes guaranteed in the trade.
Hmm. That is interesting. I didn’t realize that. I thought if you traded a player before their guarantee date the receiving team could then get the savings by not guaranteeing the deal.

Didn’t Memphis do that with Korver’s contract in the Conley trade?

I had been thinking Hernangomez’s non guaranteed contract was a trade chip for us, but maybe not…