What's new

Gordon Hayward: Pull Up/Drive Weekly Update

GVC

The NBA is already providing some of the stats from the newly installed SportVU cameras (2 useful links: 1 and 2). Included in these stats are drives and pull up jumper stats. Since Gordo is going to be depended on with the ball in his hands this season, these stats will give us an indication of just how well he's performing off the bounce. I'll use this thread to update his stats once per week (hopefully).

A "Drive" is defined as "Any touch that starts at least 20 feet of the hoop and is dribbled within 10 feet of the hoop and excludes fast breaks. Measures the total number of drives as well as the points, assists and shooting percentages on drives to the basket." Included in these stats is the player's drives per game and points per game on drives (which includes free throws), as well as the team points per game on the player's drives. I'll post Gordo's weekly # of drives, own and team points from Gordo drives, and team points per Gordo drive.

A "Pull Up" is defined as "Any jump shot outside 10 feet where a player took 1 or more dribbles before shooting." It looks as though free throws aren't included in these stats. I'll post Gordo's attempts (2- and 3-pointers), field goal percentages and overall points per Pull Up.

Week 1

Games: 3

Drives: 11
Gordo Points on Drives: 2
Team Points on Drives: 9
Team Points per Drive: 0.818

2-pt Pull Ups: 5-20 (.250)
3-pt Pull Ups: 1-5 (.200)
Points per Pull Up: 0.52

Week 5

Games: 4

Drives: 14
Gordo Points on Drives: 9
Team Points on Drives: 12
Team Points per Drive: 0.857

2-pt Pull Ups: 6-20 (.300)
3-pt Pull Ups: 0-2 (.000)
Points per Pull Up: 0.545

Total (through 12/7/13)

Games: 22

Drives: 134 (6.1 Drives per Game)
Gordo Points on Drives: 65 (.382 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 146
Team Points per Drive: 1.090

2-pt Pull Ups: 42-119 (.353)
3-pt Pull Ups: 3-20 (.150)
Points per Pull Up: 0.669

​Ranks

13th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 216)
28th in Drives per Game (minimum 11 games played; Ty Lawson, 11.1)
44th in FG% on Drives (among 53 players with 70+ Total Drives; Jeremy Lin, .654)
39th in Team Points per Drive (among 53 players with 70+ Total Drives; Evan Turner, 1.406)

32nd in Total Pull Ups per game (minimum 11 games played; Steph Curry, 14.3)
47th in Points per Pull Up (among 53 players averaging 4.7+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 11 games played; Kevin Durant, 0.993)

Last edited:
Way too small of a sample....

Deron Williams is 0 for 10 on pull jumpers

Derrick Rose is 1 for 16 on pull up jumpers

So Hayward better than Rose & Dwill ? :)

The NBA is already providing some of the stats from the newly installed SportVU cameras (2 useful links: 1 and 2). Included in these stats are drives and pull up jumper stats. Since Gordo is going to be depended on with the ball in his hands this season, these stats will give us an indication of just how well he's performing off the bounce. I'll use this thread to update his stats once per week (hopefully).

A "Drive" is defined as "Any touch that starts at least 20 feet of the hoop and is dribbled within 10 feet of the hoop and excludes fast breaks. Measures the total number of drives as well as the points, assists and shooting percentages on drives to the basket." Included in these stats is the player's drives per game and points per game on drives (which includes free throws), as well as the team points per game on the player's drives. I'll post Gordo's weekly # of drives, own and team points from Gordo drives, and team points per Gordo drive.

A "Pull Up" is defined as "Any jump shot outside 10 feet where a player took 1 or more dribbles before shooting." It looks as though free throws aren't included in these stats. I'll post Gordo's attempts (2- and 3-pointers), field goal percentages and overall points per Pull Up.

Week 1

Games: 3

Drives: 11
Gordo Points on Drives: 2
Team Points on Drives: 9
Team Points per Drive: 0.818

2-pt Pull Ups: 5-20 (.250)
3-pt Pull Ups: 1-5 (.200)
Points per Pull Up: 0.52

So far, bad.

Great idea. I am interested to see if he improves, as this will be a huge factor as to whether or not he deserves more money.

Neat new Stats....

Hayward leads the entire NBA in % of rebounds per chance (min 5 rebs per). G has grabbed 19 of the 22 rebs he has had a chance.

Huh....Max Contract.....Joking of course, just shows stats are for losers. They are a data point, that's it. You can always find a stat that makes anyone look good.

just shows stats are for losers. They are a data point, that's it. You can always find a stat that makes anyone look good.
So much wrong with this post.

As you've already stated, 3 games isn't a large enough sample size to reach a strong conclusion. Gordo has not yet shown an ability to perform well in isos and scoring out of pick and rolls (from the synergy sports stats for his first 3 seasons...seriously, he's been pretty ****ing bad). Being able to break these stats down further with the SportVU stats AND see how well he creates for others in pick and rolls and isos (captured in the drive statistics), should give us a better idea about Gordo's ability as an on-ball player. If the early indications hold true throughout this season, and Gordo is really only suited as an off-ball halfcourt option and fastbreak leader/finisher, perhaps the Jazz shouldn't be paying him star money.

This depends on the relative value of off-ball and on-ball scorers (I know of no studies that address this question directly, although I've spent very little time searching). Roughly 40% of all teams' terminal possessions (possessions not labeled "transition", "other plays" or offensive rebound" by synergy sports) came from isos, post ups and by the pick and roll ball handler. Even the best offenses depend on individual players to create offense for others. Finding shooters is a lot easier than finding good on-ball players. As such, these indicators about Gordo's ability to create good shots for himself and others ought to be a primary concern when considering what to do with him (trade, re-sign, match offer sheet) between now and next summer.

Hayward is not a #1 option and never will be IMO.

I think when he hits his stride he will be a #3 most of his career, he may peak at #2, wind down at #4-#6.

Unsure how much $$$ #2 or #3 pay.

Great thread, GVC. I look forward to the weekly updates.

Currently, as stated, the sample size is too small but it does show some insight into what some of us have been talking about in regards to Hayward's limitations.

That said, I hope Hayward is able to improve as the season goes on and show us his true mettle in crunch time situations.

This post has been constructed, arranged and transmitted using the JazzFanz mobile app via an Apple branded communication device.

Hayward is not a #1 option and never will be IMO.

I think when he hits his stride he will be a #3 most of his career, he may peak at #2, wind down at #4-#6.

Unsure how much $$$ #2 or #3 pay.

#2 and #3 on the championship team of the past 2 years make max.

#2 and #3 on the championship team of the past 2 years make max.
Miami is a ultra poor example to prove your point...We all know how that team was constructed, 3 #1's from different teams put together. Let's not be silly here...Hayward is not in the same stratosphere as a D-wade or Bosh in terms of NBA worth.

Miami is a ultra poor example to prove your point...We all know how that team was constructed, 3 #1's from different teams put together. Let's not be silly here...Hayward is not in the same stratosphere as a D-wade or Bosh in terms of NBA worth.

My only point is what the current NBA champions contracts are so I think Miami is a pretty damn good team to use for that point.

Here's another example of someone grossly overrating Bosh. I have been a huge Hayward fan, but I have to admit he isn't progressing as quick as I thought he would. I still think he can get there, but he currently isn't someone that can continually get you a basket when you need it. I give him a value of 8 mil/year at this point and the reason it's that low is because contract money is coming down because it has to. The very top players (15-30) will command huge dollars, but the salary cap limitations combined with the economy will start to have a very real effect. Hayward is good at everything, and he is smart, but he should have taken the 10 mil if it was ever offered.

i am excited to see how he progresses (for better or worse).

i would also be interested to see what burks' (who seems to drive every time he gets the ball) numbers are in this regard as well.

good on ya.

Best thread in a long time.

It's hard to figure Hayward's actual contribution on offense so King GVC is going to do it for us the hard way.

Special shout-out for Hayward draining a pull-up behind the three-point line to tie the game with <10 seconds left.

Special shout-out for Hayward draining a pull-up behind the three-point line to tie the game with <10 seconds left.
That was great to see. Was it just a lucky shot or something Hayward actually added to his arsenal?..I guess we'll find out this season.

I love the thread idea, and would appreciate updates on it.

I am also curious how these statistics move or solidify as the team gels more and as more games are played, and then again as Burke gets back into the rotation.

I am also interested in seeing those numbers for Burks, as well as how they stack up to the rest of the league, as to what is high, what is average, and what is low... so I appreciate the links.