1. Welcome to the newly remodeled JazzFanz.com. Take a look around and report any issues in the SITE INFORMATION thread.

Grizzlies/Cavaliers trade

Discussion in 'General Sports' started by orangello, Jan 22, 2013.

1. orangello

orangello Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    So there is a trade that went down already this season the trade is

For Cavs
    Sleights
    Ellington
    Shelby
    Pick

For Grizzlies
    Jon Leuer

Sounds lopsided. This is the new NBA. It saves the Grizzlies almost 6 million and gets them under the tax threshold. I wish the Jazz had something in the works like this.

2. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Here is the story on ESPN

Speights and Ellington could get playing time for the Cavs. Its a nice low risk gamble for Cleveland.
    It would be difficult for the Jazz to be part of something like this becasue they have fifteen players on the roster.

3. orangello

Jun 19, 2011
    You're absolutely right. Also our cap space will be there next year, not this year. Be prepared though.

4. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Killer deal for Cleveland. Three young players, and a top 5 protected 1st round pick.

Speights fills an immediate need for them since Varejo is hurt, and Ellington can't be worse than CJ Miles can he?

Poor Memphis fans are being fed the line "It creates flexibility". Which is really nothing because flexibilty can't dribble, pass or shoot.

At least we know the lock-out worked.....Small market Kings is sold for 500+ Million, while small market Grizzlies dump players to avoid luxary tax and the same day it is rumoured that the Not small market Nets are looking to get Howard in a three way deal that would also send Kevin Love to the LA Lakers.

As a long time NBA fan I can't wait for Stern to retire and refresh the system with some new ideas.

5. orangello

Jun 19, 2011
    Well said.

6. nightmare3983

nightmare3983 First BF League CHAMP Contributor

May 22, 2012
    In regards to the bolded point I would argue that it does create flexibility in the sense that the Grizzlies could be involved in a sign-and-trade now. I know some time in the very near future (if not already) tax-paying teams won't be able to be in those types of transactions. That said, unless the Grizzlies have something in the pipeline that they wouldn't be able to do as taxpayers, then yeah, they're basically doing damage control. It's like the Jazz trading Brewer to the Grizzlies or Harpring and Maynor to the Thunder. Say what you will, but it seems pretty obvious that it's about money.

7. Beantown

Beantown Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I wonder if this had any influence from John Hollinger........

8. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor

Nov 4, 2010
    Speaking of cavs..... as of right now kyrie irving has 15 point in the 1st quarter. Could end up being an epic night for him

9. Beantown

Beantown Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Isn't Rondo supposed to be one of the best defenders in the league?!