What's new

Hayward speaks about Bryant's last game

ghsartin

There's an article on Yahoo! Sports about how Hayward supposedly commited a lane violation on Bryant's last free throw to ensure that, if he missed, he would get another chance of scoring 60 points. Hayward, of course, denies the insinuation, made by Mike Tirico, ESPN play-by-play announcer. Here is the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/gordon-hay...ve-him-anything-free-all-night-152200736.html

Personally, I think there was more to that game than that lane violation. At that point, either bullying or double-teaming Bryant would render him ineffective, but I think there was an understanding, on the part of the Jazz, that, if Bryant ever got hot in that game, the players should not be physical with him. Also, I think Snyder's strategy of not double team Bryant was part of the same "let's take it easy with him" approach. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but, when that game ended, my feeling was one of perplexity and, I must confess, I little shame for rooting for the Jazz. To me, it was so obvious to that things were at least facilitated to Bryant.

Do you guys remember that game? Any of you had similar feelings?

I remember the game. The Jazz choked majorly at the end. I hated that they lost and that they would be forever linked to letting Kobe drop 60 his last game.

The thing I remember the most was after the game Kobe said something like the funny thing is my whole career you all want me to pass it and tonight you want me to shoot it and then laughed. I think that's when I started to like the guy.

There's an article on Yahoo! Sports about how Hayward supposedly commited a lane violation on Bryant's last free throw to ensure that, if he missed, he would get another chance of scoring 60 points. Hayward, of course, denies the insinuation, made by Mike Tirico, ESPN play-by-play announcer. Here is the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/gordon-hay...ve-him-anything-free-all-night-152200736.html

Personally, I think there was more to that game than that lane violation. At that point, either bullying or double-teaming Bryant would render him ineffective, but I think there was an understanding, on the part of the Jazz, that, if Bryant ever got hot in that game, the players should not be physical with him. Also, I think Snyder's strategy of not double team Bryant was part of the same "let's take it easy with him" approach. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but, when that game ended, my feeling was one of perplexity and, I must confess, I little shame for rooting for the Jazz. To me, it was so obvious to that things were at least facilitated to Bryant.

I felt the same. I think this was Quin's retirement gift to Kobe. I believe he told the team to play just enough defense to make it look good but not enough to actually prevent him from shooting.

It's my belief these things aren't spoken, but understood. Players notice QS advises less than normal, and take cues to let a man go out with a bang. I felt it was obvious and it kind of made me smirk, but at some level I was ok letting a legend live a moment one last time.

NBA is an entertainment business.

There are rewards for those who understand what that means and behave accordingly.

Or maybe the Jazz mailed it in because it didn't affect their seeding. I just remember watching a team with no effort and being mad. I was both upset and ashamed as a Jazz fan knowing the Jazz would forever be cemented as the Washington Generals to Kobe's legacy.

Kobe was an all time great, but we defended that game like it was the all star game. I had a feeling that was how it would go down and it pissed me off, but in the greater scheme of things I guess it wasn't that big a deal and help cement his legacy.