What's new

Hooray it is Disability Culture Month!

Sweet, they have cute little "holiday greetings":

taxrich.jpg

I'm gonna celebrate by getting temporarily disabled tonight.

This could be good news for some of you:

The Social Security Administration released its annual statistical report on federal disability insurance last month, revealing that at the end of 2011 there was a then-record of 8,575,544 workers collecting federal disability benefits and among them were 1,304,851 doing so because they suffered from “mood disorders.”

The incidence of “mood disorders” among disability beneficiaries was not proportionately distributed among the states and territories, according to the official SSA statistics. Some locations had much higher percentages of disability beneficiaries diagnosed with mood disorders than other locations.

In American Samoa, for example, only 3.1 percent of the workers collecting federal disability benefits had been diagnosed with a “mood disorder.” In Puerto Rico, by contrast, 33.3 percent of disability beneficiaries had a mood disorder.

Massachusetts led the 50 states for disabling mood disorders. In that state, 22.8 percent of disability beneficiaries had been diagnosed with a mood disorder. New Hampshire was second with 22.2 percent, and Rhode Island was third with 20.7 percent.

Read more: https://nation.foxnews.com/disabilt...ability-benefits-mood-disorders#ixzz28Mo8eqyD

Here are a couple of inspirational stories:

Veteran amputees overcome odds to race in marathon

When former Lance Cpl. Ben Maenza became a double amputee at the age of 22, he thought his life was over. But now, two years later, he and one of his closest friends – a triple-amputee and fellow military veteran – are preparing to participate in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on October 7.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2012...rcome-odds-to-race-in-marathon/#ixzz28ROe7I7e

Eighth-grade football player scores life-changing touchdown

Jack Mccraw has spent the past two years cheering on his Chicago middle school teammates through every practice and every game from the sidelines in his wheelchair. The 13-year-old has cerebral palsy, but has always wanted to be an athlete, MyFoxChicago.com reported.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/...scores-life-changing-touchdown/#ixzz28RQ0zMEu

Inspirational people:

Sarah Reinertsen (marathoner)
Sarah_Jumps_II.jpg

Bethany Hamilton (Surfer)
soul-surfer-bethany-hamilton.jpg

Amy Purdy (Snow Boarder)
Amy-Purdy.jpg

Right? What am I missing here? (besides the "Total Pwnage!")

Wondering the same thing. So someone took a picture of a parking lot during obviously off-peak hours showing several handicap accessible parking spots. Looks good. Turn the camera around and I bet there's a 50/50 chance you'd see a medical center of some kind.

Wondering the same thing. So someone took a picture of a parking lot during obviously off-peak hours showing several handicap accessible parking spots. Looks good. Turn the camera around and I bet there's a 50/50 chance you'd see a medical center of some kind.

Additionally, I'm confused as to what Capt. Picard's handicap is. Being too awesome?

I think Three Dog Night put it best: Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!!!

or just be yourself

Where is Perfectly Able Culture Month? This is an outrage, I'm starting a group of people who aren't disabled so we can celebrate our culture.