What's new

Hot Take Post #247 1/2

campaignist

Just going to do some random out ideas for now. Not going in depth for now. I'm bored.

The most important goals going forward

-Solve the rebounding/defender/Rudy back up problems. We need what Favors used to bring. He needs to come back. Do what it takes short of losing Clarkson. It helps against teams like Houston, Denver, and the Lakers. Especially with someone to body Jokic, Towns, Anthony Davis, etc. Jerami Grant would be ideal but he's not gettable.
-Get Mitchell to point guard. He needs the ball in his hands as much as possible, and Conley doesn't do much better than him. Dump him, rework his contract, whatever. I view Mitchell as becoming a Damian Lillard type. Put a 2 with size like Royce next to him.
-Finances. Mitchell, Gobert, Bojan, Ingles, and Royce are going to be the bulk of the core going forward. That limits our flexibility going forward. This is why adding dudes like Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Otto Porter, etc. are terrible ideas. They're bad fits, if it doesn't work you're screwed, and I just don't see any of them getting us over edge. Bojan is best at the four. Getting Mitchell to PG and adding favors would greatly help him thrive.

I think the idea with trading for otto has some value. His contract would expire when Mitchell’s extension kicks in, then we could resign him for his actual value and have a great role player in him. He is also younger than a lot of the guys on our roster, which is something we should be mindful about imo.

if Mitchell, Gobert, Bojan, Ingles, and Royce are the core, we are screwed. We need a dynamic 3nD added to the list as i don't see Royce as anything beyond a 20min bench guy. Giving him too much PT actually hurts the team.

If we can start development project and acquire a kid with tools and intangibles of becoming a starter caliber wing on rookie sale deal, you'd absolutely do it.

if Mitchell, Gobert, Bojan, Ingles, and Royce are the core, we are screwed. We need a dynamic 3nD added to the list as i don't see Royce as anything beyond a 20min bench guy. Giving him too much PT actually hurts the team.

If we can start development project and acquire a kid with tools and intangibles of becoming a starter caliber wing on rookie sale deal, you'd absolutely do it.

I view a core as 8 players. That's the core mostly because of their contracts and how well they work together. That's 5. Add favors, that's six. Develop someone like Morgan, that's 7. Add a starting calibur wing, and you're done. That's what I'd be aiming for.

There could be some young players on the move. Chandler Hutchison and Grayson Allen could be had for pennies on the dollar, Jae Crowder, Korver and Marvin Williams all might be available as well.

Looked it up, the Jazz had the 6th best defensive rebounding percentage. They don't go for offensive rebounds at all due to strategy, so that drops their overall rebound% to 8th overall.

A non-issue. That rebounding rate isnt going to change unless Snyder tells players to crash the glass, and he isnt going to.

I think signing Royce to the amount that we did was a mistake, he is replaceable. He is so passive on the offensive end. But oh well, seems he got less hungry after we signed him

I will be surprised if we make any attempt at moving Conley. The only way I see it happening is with Conley's blessing so the key is figuring out what moves we can make with him still on the roster.

I will be surprised if we make any attempt at moving Conley. The only way I see it happening is with Conley's blessing so the key is figuring out what moves we can make with him still on the roster.

I saw someone suggest a renegotion of his contract, have him optout and extend him 2-3 years. That would help.

I think signing Royce to the amount that we did was a mistake, he is replaceable. He is so passive on the offensive end. But oh well, seems he got less hungry after we signed him

The overpay to him and giving Joe an extra year were really bad moves. Not impossible to recover from, not worth moving either of them, but not as efficient as it could have been.

Looked it up, the Jazz had the 6th best defensive rebounding percentage. They don't go for offensive rebounds at all due to strategy, so that drops their overall rebound% to 8th overall.

A non-issue. That rebounding rate isnt going to change unless Snyder tells players to crash the glass, and he isnt going to.
I might be overrating it, for sure. My thinking is-how do we beat Houston, the LA teams, and Denver? I mean, i'd love to hear how people think we do it.

It's true that rebounding has not been a problem overall but I remember seeing stats that show we suck at it in clutch. Nothing a lengthy wing wouldn't solve, though.