What's new

How does the time in the NBA count on two-ways?

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So you’re allowed 45 days or 45 games? Also, how does this count? I’ve seen Brantley on the bench every game. Does it only count if they check in? Paging @homeytennis

This tweet had me thinking:

I’m assuming Brantley and JWF will be playing, too. If Brantley gets some good burn in the D League, maybe that can earn him some of Niang’s minutes.

This is from the CBA:
  • The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
  • The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet...
  • The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons...
  • When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season.

This is from the CBA:
  • The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
  • The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet...
  • The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons...
  • When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season.
What counts as a day, though? I couldn’t imagine we’ve already burned through a bunch of their days already.

It's a calendar day during the season like in 10 day contracts. I think the Jazz have to pull the trigger to say this is a counting day for the player and resultant fatter paycheck. I think Brantley and JWF have just had really good seats for the games and have not been on the roster.

It's a calendar day during the season like in 10 day contracts. I think the Jazz have to pull the trigger to say this is a counting day for the player and resultant fatter paycheck. I think Brantley and JWF have just had really good seats for the games and have not been on the roster.
I’m curious if that means it can or can’t be an in-game decision to throw them in.

There is a maximum number of players that can be active for a game so they would have to be activated or recalled when that data has to be turned into the league. The one thing to me is unclear is whether you can burn through a player's 45 days, waive him and sign another player to a two way and start a fresh clock on him. It seems like the Jazz might have done that with Nate Wolters and Eric Griffin and then brought in Niang and Eric McCree. Not that the front office would be shady....

I think Andy Larsen's tweet is not correct. According to the GLeague website the Stars play at Sioux Falls and not Rio Grande Valley. Oni is probably playing however.

There is a maximum number of players that can be active for a game so they would have to be activated or recalled when that data has to be turned into the league. The one thing to me is unclear is whether you can burn through a player's 45 days, waive him and sign another player to a two way and start a fresh clock on him. It seems like the Jazz might have done that with Nate Wolters and Eric Griffin and then brought in Niang and Eric McCree. Not that the front office would be shady....
It’s not shady. Each guy gets 45 NBA days regardless of when they’re signed. If they’re good enough to keep beyond that, they get their contract converted to a full NBA contract - ala Quinn Cook. The two way guys are getting an opportunity to prove their worth. If they fail to do that, it’s on them. If Wolters and Griffin were too valuable to waive, they would’ve caught on somewhere else.

A two way player has to be officially assigned or recalled - days only accrue when the primary team recalls them. If they’re not on the active roster, they’re not available to play - even if circumstances would cause it to make sense to play them.

Wolters and Griffin did get picked up by teams in Israel and Australia. I crack myself up at times.
They both got picked up by teams in Australia and Israel? What a coincidence. And what a strange league that must be.