What's new

How much better are the jazz?

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

Last year we sacrificed defense for offense, and feel we took a step back. This year we added defense through the favors signing and if Oni is as good at defense as the jazz are boasting the perimeter defense will be much better assuming Oni is ready to be in the rotation.

so this year we added defense and didn’t really lose any of the offense from last year.

also we need to consider how much better Goberts defense will be with the added help, that’s another element to consider.

thoughts?

Gobert said he expects the Jazz to be the #1 defensive team in the league this season. They were #3 last time they had Favors. They were the #1 offense in the league after the Clarkson trade.

This being Clarkson, Conley and Bogdanovics second year in the system and having more familiarity with their teammates - the offense and defense could both be top 5 - that’s a legit title contender.

not gonna lie. really not much...... we got better at the backup C, but we still need a full time 4 and more perimeter defense to take the next step. not to mention Joe/Mike/Bojan that makes up nearly half of our rotation are reaching the stage where you just don't know when they gonna fall off

They’re better, especially in the regular season. The issue is, the Lakers are also better, and I wouldn’t choose them over them in a series. I’d probably choose the Lakers in 6. So like many times, we’re close, but not close enough IMO.

I’d say marginally better than last year. Defense will be a bit better (top 10). Not sure about offense. Hopefully top 10. I don’t put too much stock into the post-Clarkson trade offensive rating from last year because that Jan - mid March time included the easiest stretch of the team’s schedule.

The lack of athleticism will still be a problem, and we just don’t match up well against several of the best players/teams in the conference.

I’ll predict middle of the pack again, likely playoff team seeded somewhere between 4 -7, with a ceiling of the second round.

Last year, the Jazz brought in Ed Davis, Jeff Green and Emanuel Mudiay, and it didn't work. This year they tried to correct those mistakes, and they reverted to what they're familiar with. They already had extensive line-up data on Favors.

I think the Jazz should be a top 8 defense and a top 5 or 6 offense, but they still need some size and length on the perimeter. I'm hoping Brantley can make some progress this season. His big body, length and ability to react could make him a decent team defender. Otherwise, keep an eye on trades. Knowing the Jazz, they'll want to make a small move and pick up a Thad Young, Rudy Gay or the like.

Lakers are likely #1 in the Western Conference. The Jazz are in the scrum with LAC, Denver and Portland for the 2-5 seeds. Jazz should be able to face and beat a team like Dallas or Phoenix in the 1st round, and they'd do well against Denver in the 2nd round if they can get that matchup. Denver took a step back defensively without Plumlee, Craig and Grant, imo. Jamychal Green and their rookies don't quite close that gap.

Last edited:
I think we are significantly better. Lakers are above everyone but all other teams in the West were very close to each other, Clippers were disappointing and I think that they havent really adressed their main issue which was lack of playmaking. Nuggets havent done anything significant in the offseason either. If we are healthy we should finish in top 4.

We thought we were adding defense last season when we signed Davis but that went about as badly as it could have.
Mudiay played better defense than was anticipated and Bogey didn't have high defensive expectations.
With Favors back and Udoka we're clearly a better defensive team inside which makes our perimeter defense all the more important (I think Hughes was drafted for his solid perimeter defense - that's what I'm most excited about with him).

We're better. We'll see how much. Favors isn't a ceiling raiser but he's a floor stabilizer. I don't expect us to be a rollercoaster like last season.

How much better we are depends on how much you believe in our core. I happen to believe in it. Advanced stats love our lineups. I think Donovan is a #1 on a championship team. I think we have a very capable cast around him.

I still question our wing depth/versatility/defense in playoff basketball. But we'll see how that goes when we get there.

Hard to imagine they aren't noticeably better.

If not something went terribly wrong. If this team has a version of 'all in' it has to be this. We're at the tax, Mitchell's extension hasn't kicked in yet. Conley is on the 17th hole of his career. And our best player might be on the move sooner than later.

Ready to be fooled into believing again.

The jazz will be a top four team I. The playoffs. The continuity along with shoring up our most glaring deficiency will keep us there. Looking at both LA teams and Portland to be there with us. Had GS not lost Klay again I would place them up there over LAC

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

We literally brought the entire team back and added Favors. We will be in contention for the top-3 teams in the West.
We will also get a better start from Conley as well. Hopefully we get a balanced schedule and not the first two months screw job we normally get.

I think we're gonna be quite a bit better, at least in the regular season. Last year we got killed in the minutes Rudy sat and Favors is going to make a huge difference there, he'll also improve our defense quite a bit. Conley improved a lot towards the end of the season and has now played a full season in Quins system and understands it now. Donovan made a big leap in the bubble and hopefully his improvement will be sustainable. I think this team wins a lot of games in the regular season. The playoffs are what worries me, when teams go small and are able to make Rudy and Favors less effective.