What's new

How much should we be talking about Donovan?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
I love him but should we be talking about our little brother who is in trouble?

We should be talking about him a lot.

He played another terrible game.

I get that his shooting percentage has been worse in other games.

But I thought he forced shots, his shot selection was terrible, and his inability to get to the line even once was inexcusable. Our #1 best athlete and weapon should never go an entire game without attempting a single free throw. That’s embarrassing.

Mitchell’s inability to be smart and dependable feeds the opponent’s fast break and leads to losses like these. When the other team goes on a run, we need Mitchell to calm us down, get some easy buckets, and get to the free throw line until others can pick up the slack.

Honestly, I thought our Australian duo outplayed Mitchell tonight. Both Jingles and Exum looked better and far more dependable.

We should be talking about him a lot.

He played another terrible game.

I get that his shooting percentage has been worse in other games.

But I thought he forced shots, his shot selection was terrible, and his inability to get to the line even once was inexcusable. Our #1 best athlete and weapon should never go an entire game without attempting a single free throw. That’s embarrassing.

Mitchell’s inability to be smart and dependable feeds the opponent’s fast break and leads to losses like these. When the other team goes on a run, we need Mitchell to calm us down, get some easy buckets, and get to the free throw line until others can pick up the slack.

Honestly, I thought our Australian duo outplayed Mitchell tonight. Both Jingles and Exum looked better and far more dependable.
Exum has two good consecutive games for the 5th time in his career and he looks “far more dependable”?

Look, Mitchell is struggling, but there’s no need to reach to state the point.

I'm curious just how much the injury last year set him back. As has been stated before he was in a walking boot most of the summer, then thrown into the season where he feels like he has to take on a major portion of the offense. His killer instinct may be detrimental on this occasion, he wants to win so badly he's pressing and in a lot of games isn't getting much help. I wish he'd let the game come to him a little more, and accept he can't do it all, no matter how badly he wants to.

Mitchell's stat line looks decent but watching his game tells another story.

I'm curious just how much the injury last year set him back. As has been stated before he was in a walking boot most of the summer, then thrown into the season where he feels like he has to take on a major portion of the offense. His killer instinct may be detrimental on this occasion, he wants to win so badly he's pressing and in a lot of games isn't getting much help. I wish he'd let the game come to him a little more, and accept he can't do it all, no matter how badly he wants to.

I think it's been huge. Great points.

He's trying so hard to play loose. I feel for him. I still believe in him for sure, but damn he's had it rough.

Exum has two good consecutive games for the 5th time in his career and he looks “far more dependable”?

Wait a minute, aren’t we talking about this game? So I don’t understand why you’re surprised about me saying that Exum and Jingles looked far more dependable on offense tonight. And That shouldn’t be, Mitchell should always be our #1 best player offensively. He’s our Malone, Lebron, Kobe.

Mitchell has been disappointing this season to say the least. But I definitely think he deserves the most criticism of everyone after tonight's Loss. He was awful. His decision to chuck up 3s and not get to the line is inexcusable. And yes, it was a decision. His shot selection tonight was awful.

We keep handing Mitchell the ball and ask him to create something on his own as an isolation scorer. You're going to get mixed results. He's not James Harden or Kyrie right now.

Wait a minute, aren’t we talking about this game? So I don’t understand why you’re surprised about me saying that Exum and Jingles looked far more dependable on offense tonight. And That shouldn’t be, Mitchell should always be our #1 best player offensively. He’s our Malone, Lebron, Kobe.

Mitchell has been disappointing this season to say the least. But I definitely think he deserves the most criticism of everyone after tonight's Loss. He was awful. His decision to chuck up 3s and not get to the line is inexcusable. And yes, it was a decision. His shot selection tonight was awful.
Slow down on your bad takes, it’s hard to keep up:
-A person performing in a microscopic sample size doesn’t equate to dependability.
-“to say the least”? Nah, Mitchell being just disappointing sounds about exactly right. You talk about him like he’s turned into a **** player.
-‘YeS hIs DeCiSiOn’: are you aware drawing fouls has never been Mitchell’s game? Two games ago, he was receiving criticism for trying to learn how to draw fouls from others on the board.
-Mitchell shot 10/20 with 23 points. Weird night to decide to finally get riled up about Mitchell being so terrible of all nights. Just a dog **** mother-****ing piece of absolute trash, m i right
-Ingles didn’t have a good game tonight

Calm down on the hyperbole if that is even possible for you.

I'm willing to give Mitchell a pass on most thing as I think he'll figure it out, but the one thing that's bugging me of late (and there's no real stat I can find to back this up this is pure eye test/ancedotal) is that the Jazz' offense is seemingly moving the ball a lot better whenever Mitchell isn't on the floor vs when he is on the floor, and I think it's taking some guys out of rhythm at times. It's a super small sample size, but Joe Ingles in the last 5 games since he's been playing more with the bench unit and getting plenty of touches is averaging 14.4/5.2asts/4rebs on 49.1% and 43.3% from deep, and I'm of the opinion that he's getting more of a rhythm because he's getting more touches and facilitating more of the offense with that bench unit, compared to his season averages of 12.1/4.7asts/3.9rebs on 44.7% and 38.6% from deep.

There's loads of noise in that sample size but it's the best I could do to find some stats that support my eye test, but I do think Mitchell forcing bad shots often is hurting his teammates offensively to a degree.

I'm willing to give Mitchell a pass on most thing as I think he'll figure it out, but the one thing that's bugging me of late (and there's no real stat I can find to back this up this is pure eye test/ancedotal) is that the Jazz' offense is seemingly moving the ball a lot better whenever Mitchell isn't on the floor vs when he is on the floor, and I think it's taking some guys out of rhythm at times. It's a super small sample size, but Joe Ingles in the last 5 games since he's been playing more with the bench unit and getting plenty of touches is averaging 14.4/5.2asts/4rebs on 49.1% and 43.3% from deep, and I'm of the opinion that he's getting more of a rhythm because he's getting more touches and facilitating more of the offense with that bench unit, compared to his season averages of 12.1/4.7asts/3.9rebs on 44.7% and 38.6% from deep.

There's loads of noise in that sample size but it's the best I could do to find some stats that support my eye test, but I do think Mitchell forcing bad shots often is hurting his teammates offensively to a degree.

I agree, he's taking them out of the game at times.

Do people think DM was really bad tonight. Not great but Jimmy Butler guarding him and Embiid waiting at the rim... couple turnovers were bad but that happens.

Two of his shots were basically heaves. He wasn’t great but he wasn’t let’s have a talk about this bad.

I am 99.9% positive Mitchell is going to figure it out and become a perennial all-star.

He’s going through tough times because what worked for him last year suddenly isn't working this year.

He thinks if he just keeps trying harder he will get success back. At some point he'll start to understand the game and himself better. He will get smarter and stop forcing so much. When that happens the Jazz are going to be dangerous.