What's new

How our rookie PG, and his SG (now could-be should-be interim PG) physically stand against the NBA

jope

I've been hearing since draft day that TB is going to need to adjust, since he is such a short PG. He is constantly referred to as small. I wanted to see how small he really was. And for fun, i threw our soon-to-be interim PG Alec in the table as well, to see how he stacked up. At the bottom are their differences from the average, and the their percentiles among their peers. I didn't list every PG in the NBA, just the ones that got significant mins at the 1 spot.

Turns out Trey is indeed below average, but not really by all that much, statistically he is within the 'normal' range of PGs. Alec on the other hand, well he is very tall for a PG in today's NBA. Not that height = success, but it does provide more options, especially regarding defense and post play.

Either way, i'm done hearing about how short TB is, he is middle of the pack, and his height shouldnt be an excuse for poor play anymore, nor should it be a triumph if he does well.

949068cc-8845-4750-aa4c-63f736d29cc3_zpse6150263.jpg

*Heights obtained from ESPN.com

Isn't Burks a shooting guard?

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Rondo plays much bigger than 6'1"?

Goes to show that wingspan really compensates for a lack of height (Rondo has a 6'10" wingspan, with a pair of massive hands).

Id love to see this study done with wingspans, instead of height.

This thread is so useless, incredible. Wrong data, no advanced data. Simply trash :D GJ

I just included him because he is (in my mind at least) set to play some pg with Trey out, even his interview yesterday after practice hinted at this. Utahjazz.com. I figured I'd throw him in just to see exactly how much bigger he really is.

Let's say we're playing the kings. Alec would be 9 (!) Inches taller than Thomas. That's like trey trying to guard Derrick favors (height wise, not weight wise). If Alec is the 1 and hay the 2, you have a 6'6" pg and a 6'8" SG, someone along the line has to be ill suited to guard one of them (in theory, they must still exert their will)

I hope to see some physical domination if these situations arise

Sent from my Nexus 4 using JazzFanz mobile app

Goes to show that wingspan really compensates for a lack of height (Rondo has a 6'10" wingspan, with a pair of massive hands).

Id love to see this study done with wingspans, instead of height.

Good call, I'll do today if work gets slow

Isn't Burke 6'0''?

I wouldn't know, I just went by his listed height on ESPN.com and NBA.com

I think he measured 6' 0.75" at the combine with shoes if i remember right. So yeah about 6'1"

This thread is so useless, incredible. Wrong data, no advanced data. Simply trash :D GJ

I could add the players' effectiveness and what not, but then I'd get sad at our guys' performances. I'll keep it useless for now.

I didn't really care to look at performance anyway, really just wanted to see if trey was as short as the media and himself were making him seem. Contrary to this he is basically average and plenty of pgs today are successful and as short or shorter than he.

Trying to remove the excuses around him

I didn't really care to look at performance anyway, really just wanted to see if trey was as short as the media and himself were making him seem. Contrary to this he is basically average and plenty of pgs today are successful and as short or shorter than he.

Trying to remove the excuses around him

I don't even mean performance. The heights are wrong. No standing reach, no max reach, no wingspans. I could create a thread as well about how it's tuesday, but I don't!

I just included him because he is (in my mind at least) set to play some pg with Trey out, even his interview yesterday after practice hinted at this. Utahjazz.com. I figured I'd throw him in just to see exactly how much bigger he really is.

Let's say we're playing the kings. Alec would be 9 (!) Inches taller than Thomas. That's like trey trying to guard Derrick favors (height wise, not weight wise). If Alec is the 1 and hay the 2, you have a 6'6" pg and a 6'8" SG, someone along the line has to be ill suited to guard one of them (in theory, they must still exert their will)
It wouldn't hurt to add weight as well. Also, forget the haters, I like the thread.

I wish we had developed Burks by making him watch Tony Parker tape on a loop. Just do two things well, and we'll add wrinkles later.

1. Get north to south quickly, and collapse the defense.
2. If nothing is there, kick it to Manu (Hayward).

I'm tired of talking about his limitations. He has them. But what about the things he does well? Can I see them showcased once?

I don't even mean performance. The heights are wrong. No standing reach, no max reach, no wingspans. I could create a thread as well about how it's tuesday, but I don't!

Meh, I dont have the time or motivation for that, there are people and websites that are paid to do that. Go to DX if you want that. I just wanted to see how tall he was. :)

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];675262 said:
I wish we had developed Burks by making him watch Tony Parker tape on a loop. Just do two things well, and we'll add wrinkles later.

1. Get north to south quickly, and collapse the defense.
2. If nothing is there, kick it to Manu (Hayward).

I'm tired of talking about his limitations. He has them. But what about the things he does well? Can I see them showcased once?

Word to your mothers.... this

Meh, I dont have the time or motivation for that, there are people and websites that are paid to do that. Go to DX if you want that. I just wanted to see how tall he was. :)

Except that you have the time and motivation to go to espn or wherever, gather the heights of all current NBA PGs, calculate mean and variance and express it both in inches and decimal imperial length measurement :D
And you took the time to share it by creating a thread. Yeah I call that unmotivated and timeless as well.