What's new

I made the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle

Not me specifically, but I was part of the 15 scientist crew aboard the MacArthur II NOAA vessel. It was a great trip, anyway, just thought I'd brag.

The purpose of the cruise was to search for deep sea corals on the Pacific Coast from Seattle to San Francisco; you guys can read more details about it in the link below if you want to. But after porting in San Francisco, I decided to spend an extra day exploring the city on my own. It was a cool experience, I was walking down Union Street while USA was playing Ghana in the world cup. People were spilling out into the streets at local pubs, many were drunk, even though it was only late morning/early afternoon.

Anyway, I was parched, so I stopped in at a thai coffee shop and grabbed an iced tea. While I was sitting at a table I looked over at the newspaper bin, where lo and behold I saw this very article that I am linking you to on the front page. Anyway, I'm pretty proud so I thought I'd share it with you guys!

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/25/MNNN1E5577.DTL

Not me specifically, but I was part of the 15 scientist crew aboard the MacArthur II NOAA vessel. It was a great trip, anyway, just thought I'd brag.

The purpose of the cruise was to search for deep sea corals on the Pacific Coast from Seattle to San Francisco; you guys can read more details about it in the link below if you want to. But after porting in San Francisco, I decided to spend an extra day exploring the city on my own. It was a cool experience, I was walking down Union Street while USA was playing Ghana in the world cup. People were spilling out into the streets at local pubs, many were drunk, even though it was only late morning/early afternoon.

Anyway, I was parched, so I stopped in at a thai coffee shop and grabbed an iced tea. While I was sitting at a table I looked over at the newspaper bin, where lo and behold I saw this very article that I am linking you to on the front page. Anyway, I'm pretty proud so I thought I'd share it with you guys!

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/25/MNNN1E5577.DTL

Congratulations Big Dan Howard.

That's cool ****. People like you have a high +/- when it comes to the advancement of our entire species. People like to talk about the debt they have to soldiers, and I don't disagree, but people who discover new things make our world better, on a pound-for-pound basis, more than anyone else.

Very cool stuff! How come the article doesn't have any pictures of these corals? Are they hard, stony corals like SPS? Or are they more like the soft corals, LPS?

The term coral is pretty vague. I'd be interested in reading more on what you found.

*EDIT* I guess they did have a pic. Looks more like the sea fan type.

My dad worked for NOAA for close to 30 years on Key Biscayne and he was Nat'l Marine Fisheries before that. I grew up swimming at the Dolphin Project on the Key and snorkeling in Key Largo. And to believe I just learned from your article that there is deep-water coral right here off the coast of California!

So WOW!!!! Very very impressive and good on ya.

If you're ever down at NOAA Channel islands let me buy you a beer!

Congrats dude, and looks like fun. But I have a question for you.
Did you end up boning the student? Or did you stay the ***** I said you would, if you didn't act immediately and not get what you desired?

I'm going to take a guess and say you ignored me and took advice from the likes of Colton and OneBrow. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: