1. Welcome to the newly remodeled JazzFanz.com. Take a look around and report any issues in the SITE INFORMATION thread.

I thought we got rid of Andrei

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Otis Day, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Otis Day

Otis Day New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    What is it about Gordon Kirilenko that makes me cringe half the time? When he shoots the ball I have no confidence he will make it. When he drives I'm sure he will lose the ball. He does make some nice off the ball blocks and seems to be a better one on one defender than he gets credit for. Sounds a lot like Andrei. I realize Gordon is young but let's hope he continues to develop. At least we can say we aren't paying him 17M.

2. dipship31

dipship31 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    That's the only part I had a problem with regarding AK.

3. gregbroncs

gregbroncs Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    If Gordon could be anywhere near the defensive player AK was I would be very excited. I like Hayward but while he is probably as good at man to man defense than Andrei he's not close to as good at help defense.

4. JayCamjazzfan

JayCamjazzfan Member

Jun 17, 2012
    16.5 PTs
    8.1 rebounds
    3.1 assists
    1.9 steals
    2.8 blocks
    Started every game
    If Hayward were putting up these stats this year he'd get a max

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. Revolution 9

Revolution 9 Moderator Moderator

May 26, 2010
    You mean AK in the early years right? I really wasn't impressed with his every day performance later in his career with us.

6. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Please don't compare Hayward to AK. He is not even close to his level and never be as good as AK was or is.
    People should stop with unrealistic expectations for Hayward to turn into Ginobili, Hornacek or AK. Forget about it.

7. gregbroncs

May 26, 2010
    Nope I meant all of Ak. The only real problem I ever had with AK was the salary.

8. gregbroncs

May 26, 2010
    No he wouldn't. That's not max player stats. It wasn't when AK signed his either. I never liked that contract and I was very disappointed when they signed it.

9. SaltyDawg

SaltyDawg Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Hayward needs to start missing half of every season, crying to the media, complaining about his role, and disrespecting his hall of fame coach in public (or saying some no name coach in Europe would be better). Then we can compare him to AK.

Stifle Tower likes this.
  10. Stifle Tower

Stifle Tower Punch Bowl Re-Filler

Jun 3, 2010
    Ah, Hayward just plays video games instead of reading Russian novels. Effect is the same.

11. SaltyDawg

May 26, 2010
    When Hayward gets a full color tattoo that covers his whole back, of his character in a video game, then we can talk about it being comparable to AK.

12. JayCamjazzfan

JayCamjazzfan Member

Jun 17, 2012
    How is that not max player stats? A small forward that blocks 3 a game, steals 2 and gets 8 boards while putting up 16 points is almost impossible to find nowadays. That is for sure max player stats. Defensive player of the year stats

13. gregbroncs

May 26, 2010
    To me a max player is a guy that can carry a team to a victory in the playoffs. A guy with those stats is not that guy.

14. SaltyDawg

May 26, 2010
    Or at least a guy that can carry a team to the playoffs, right?

AK's best season, the Jazz missed the playoffs. They added more talent after that so they could make the playoffs, and AK cried because he was no longer the best player on the team (and his role was reduced, accordingly).

15. DeliveryBoy

DeliveryBoy Active Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm hoping for Hayward to turn in to Mike Dunleavy Jr at this point. Sigh.

16. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Ad hominem b.s.

17. Eenie-Meenie

Aug 5, 2012
    Ad hominem b.s.

18. Eenie-Meenie

Aug 5, 2012
    Ad hominem b.s.

19. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    BS. AK missed half the season only once due to freak injuries yet was still able to lead league in blocks that year.. Show me max player, All-star and All defensive first team whose minutes and FG attempts get cut in half and role reduced to perimeter space cleaning role player and who would not complain? Please show me at least one example of any max player/allstar in his prime being so badly misused as AK was by Sloan in 2007.
    Hall of fame coach? lol... what Sloan won in his life? hm.... Olympic gold as assistant? That's the role he was best suited for, not for the head coaching.
    Blatt on the other hand is one of most successful coach in international basketball, won everywhere he coached on club level in different leagues, with national teams and without having any player close to Stockton and Malone caliber.
    Being ignorant does not make you right!

20. SaltyDawg

May 26, 2010
    Since 2004, AK has only played in 70 games twice, with the most being 72 once. He's injury prone.

And clearly those accolades you speak if weren't warranted if the dude couldn't even very a team to the playoffs.

You ask what all star, defensive first team player wouldn't complain about a reduced role? The easy answer is, show me one that couldn't lead his team to the playoffs, and I bet he likely had his role reduced the next year. Did he complain? And did his team improve?

Whatever you think of Sloan (and I wasn't a big fan of his either) the guy absolutely was a hall of famer. He had great success in the NBA, coaching at the highest level. His teams made the playoffs almost every year, and he consistently made scrubs look like good players. Blatt should not have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Sloan. His success in Europe is nothing compared to what Sloan accomplished. In 97 everyone had written the Jazz off. They were supposedly too old, and didn't have enough talent. They ended up with the second best record in the NBA and lost to Michael Jordan in the Finals. When Blatt comes to the NBA and does this, then you might be able to say his name in the same sentence as Sloan. When he comes to the NBA and does it consistently for 20+ years, then you can start to compare him to Sloan. Until then, he's a nobody.