What's new

I wonder how many threads and posts are intended to be so bland...

Hopper

Banned
so as to assure that no one will react to it? Is this what people do? I mean, like, start a thread where they hope and intend there will be no discussion, no interest, and absolutely no response to the topic? If so, why bother? If not, is everyone here just a damn troll, ya figure?

"Trolling:... includes (but are not limited to) comments made solely to provoke reactions..."

You can write a bland post that is intended to provoke discussion, or a firey post that is intended to be a rant meriting no response, or even shut down response. So, I think your initial premise is flawed.

Also, there is a difference between trying to elecit responses as part of a goal, and solely trying to elicit responses with no other goal.

You can write a bland post that is intended to provoke discussion, or a firey post that is intended to be a rant meriting no response, or even shut down response. So, I think your initial premise is flawed.

Also, there is a difference between trying to elecit responses as part of a goal, and solely trying to elicit responses with no other goal.

What are you calling my "initial premise," exactly, eh, Eric?

When would some one be "solely trying to elicit responses with no other goal?" Why would they do that, and how would anyone know that's what they were doing if they did? Can you give me an example?

You can write a bland post that is intended to provoke discussion.

Sure you can, I spoze. Don't know why you would deliberately do that, but its certainly theoretically possible. But that wouldn't fit into the category I described, to wit: "intended to be so bland so as to assure that no one will react to it?" You can intend to be bland, without intending to discourage all response.

I see this thread, and all I can think of is:

Spam.gif

I see this thread, and all I can think of is:

Spam.gif

Hmm, I guess everyone has their own personal definition of what "spam" is, eh, Dark? The Jazzfanz definition appears to be:

"Spamming: Accounts set up primarily to post advertising notices, whether or not the items for sale or services offered are related to the Jazz or basketball, will be considered spam."

On an unrelated topic, the FAQ does warmly extend this invitation: "If someone's posts really bother you, you are invited to place them on an "ignore list" so that their posts will become invisible to you."

Suppose I'm on my way to the corner in the morning and I say "hi" to one of my neighbors sitting on the porch stoop as I pass. I expect to elict a brief response, such as "hi," and nuthin more. I'm not really lookin to start up a convo. Would that be "trolling," I wonder?

Thanks, Mo. That clip purty much explains it all, I figure. Rather entertaining, too. Wait.....is this some kinda troll, that it?

What are you calling my "initial premise," exactly, eh, Eric?

That a post would be designed to be bland for the purpose of getting no replies.

When would some one be "solely trying to elicit responses with no other goal?"

Whenever they so choose, I would think.

Why would they do that,

I have no idea. Probably there are as many reasons as there are trolls.

and how would anyone know that's what they were doing if they did?

In my case, it would be based on the continual posting of inflammatory material with no attempts to suppot those ideas or substantively respond to them. I don't think an objective detection exists.

Can you give me an example?

I don't have a link handy. I'm sure Google will provide a plethora of examples.

That a post would be designed to be bland for the purpose of getting no replies.

Well, naw, it wasn't my premise that anyone would actually do that. I just axxed if anyone ever did. It doesn't seem likely, but, then again, I guess ya don't ever really know for sure until ya ax. And even then.....