What's new

If Conley Opts Out

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
Sorry to add to the Conley hysteria, but I think this is worth a discussion. I haven't done much legwork on this scenario and wanted to open it up for ideas.

If he were to opt-out and we didn't change anything else about the longterm salary picture, the Jazz would have ~$45 million in cap space before re-signing Royce (who has a minuscule cap hold) and if they renounce Clarkson's Bird rights (which makes some sense since they wouldn't need to have his Bird rights with that much cap space). I think these two factors are entirely possible, if not likely in the aforementioned scenario.

The Jazz could obviously sign players with this cap, but they could also absorb players into it.

I will update this post when relevant.

If he opted out, what’s he looking at? 45 million over 3 years? I think he’d rather take the $35M next year and see what he gets in free agency after that. Especially if he thinks he’ll play better next year.

Sorry to add to the Conley hysteria, but I think this is worth a discussion. I haven't done much legwork on this scenario and wanted to open it up for ideas.

If he were to opt-out and we didn't change anything else about the longterm salary picture, the Jazz would have ~$45 million in cap space before re-signing Royce (who has a minuscule cap hold) and if they renounce Clarkson's Bird rights (which makes some sense since they wouldn't need to have his Bird rights with that much cap space). I think these two factors are entirely possible, if not likely in the aforementioned scenario.

The Jazz could obviously sign players with this cap, but they could also absorb players into it.

I will update this post when relevant.
Shooting from the hip, Gallinari, Ibaka, and Iguodala are free agents. I would be more inclined to target them with the MLE if the Jazz kept Conley, but they're there.

Absorb Horford, Griffin, or Love?

Max Brandon Ingram?

Make the case for WHY he would opt out.
The Jazz take the ball out of his hands. He doesn't play enough minutes. He comes off the bench. Despite these things, he believes he has enough market value to get a deal.

These are all hypotheticals.

The Jazz take the ball out of his hands. He doesn't play enough minutes. He comes off the bench. Despite these things, he believes he has enough market value to get a deal.

These are all hypotheticals.
I'll be the first one to say I hope your right. I just doubt he would get much of a contract next year considering teams aren't that interested.

Numberica would like you to play along anyway. This is a valid thought experiment.

Conley has God-level money. Maybe he has different priorities at this stage of his career.

The only morsel of hope for Conley opting out is him seeing his championship chasing window slamming shut. Right now it's wide open and letting them 35 million chirping birdies fly in. He has plenty of championship chasing years ahead.

Why would he opt out? He is not going to get an offer that is close to what his option year brings in. IDK maybe he hates Quin.

The only morsel of hope for Conley opting out is him seeing his championship chasing window slamming shut. Right now it's wide open and letting them 35 million chirping birdies fly in. He has plenty of championship chasing years ahead.

Conley has always played for (a) the team that drafted him, or (b) the team that traded for him. He may have some interest in picking a team from a fairly wide open field. If he were to get exposed next year (after opting in), then that field could narrow considerably.

It's nice to dream but the only likelihood that Conley is not playing for the Jazz next year is if they trade him. But who knows, stranger things have happened. I just can't conceive of it.