What's new

If there was a Jazz Basketball God

Archie Moses

He would fire David Locke as the Jazz's play by play announcer. Locke has some crazy, well thought out stats, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he doesn't have the pipes or the whits to be a good play by play guy, and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. I cring everytime I hear him and my ears bleed. If their was a Jazz basketball god, one to whom Al Jefferson speaks of, he would hire Harpring as the play by play guy. Harp was actually silky smooth last year as an announcer and much more pleasant to listen to rather than Locke.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...rings-love-story-is-all-about-basketball.html

Utah Jazz: Matt Harpring's love story is all about basketballBy Jody Genessy

Deseret News

12Next >MURRAY — Matt Harpring, as you might have heard, used to play football. The pigskin fan also likes to dabble in the stock market, gets a kick out of teaching kids at camps in Utah and Atlanta, and occasionally enjoys sharing his conservative outlook — something he humorously did with his former Utah Jazz teammates from time to time.

But the biggest space in his heart is reserved for another passion. And, though he seemed addicted to it during his NBA playing days, going under the knife to repair his banged-up body is not what we're talking about here.

"There's people that love fishing and hunting. Everyone has their love," Harpring said. "My love is basketball. That's what I know. ... I like being part of the game."

Earning a living through hoops, something he loved doing for the past 12 years, is what he plans on continuing to do, too.

Being a basketball broadcaster is about to become a full-time gig for the ex-Jazz small forward, who is currently hosting his ninth-annual camp at The Park Place rec center.

"That's what I want to do," Harpring said.

He admitted that part. He even admitted to having a job lined up.

But he wouldn't admit which team (one of his old clubs, like the Jazz, Oklahoma City or Georgia Tech?) or which network (he lives near TNT's studio in Atlanta) will soon become his new employer.

"I can't tell you," he said.

Well, he could, but he'd have to set a killer Matt Harpring pick on you if he divulged the secret.Utah Jazz: Matt Harpring's love story is all about basketballBy Jody Genessy

Deseret News

Published: Monday, Aug. 2, 2010 10:43 p.m. MDT
0 comments E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + - Page:
12Next >MURRAY — Matt Harpring, as you might have heard, used to play football. The pigskin fan also likes to dabble in the stock market, gets a kick out of teaching kids at camps in Utah and Atlanta, and occasionally enjoys sharing his conservative outlook — something he humorously did with his former Utah Jazz teammates from time to time.

But the biggest space in his heart is reserved for another passion. And, though he seemed addicted to it during his NBA playing days, going under the knife to repair his banged-up body is not what we're talking about here.

"There's people that love fishing and hunting. Everyone has their love," Harpring said. "My love is basketball. That's what I know. ... I like being part of the game."

Earning a living through hoops, something he loved doing for the past 12 years, is what he plans on continuing to do, too.

Being a basketball broadcaster is about to become a full-time gig for the ex-Jazz small forward, who is currently hosting his ninth-annual camp at The Park Place rec center.

"That's what I want to do," Harpring said.

He admitted that part. He even admitted to having a job lined up.

But he wouldn't admit which team (one of his old clubs, like the Jazz, Oklahoma City or Georgia Tech?) or which network (he lives near TNT's studio in Atlanta) will soon become his new employer.

"I can't tell you," he said.

Well, he could, but he'd have to set a killer Matt Harpring pick on you if he divulged the secret.

Story continues below
Jazz fans and NBA-TV viewers got a taste of what the future holds in store for Harpring last season when the sidelined player did some on-camera color commentary and analysis work in his spare time.

After a season of experimenting, Harpring discovered that he prefers doing in-game color commentary over sitting in the studio analyzing the entire league.

"I love doing the color. ... You're involved in the game," he said. "You feel like you're a part of it. You get the emotions, you get the ups and the downs, the adrenaline. It's the next best thing to playing without playing."

Best part?

No icing of joints is required after the final buzzer.

Harpring's interest in becoming a broadcaster piqued after he did a guest spot with Hot Rod Hundley on a Jazz game about five years ago. The former Jazz play-by-play commentator told Harpring, "You've got to do this. You're a natural at this."

Hundley continued to encourage Harpring over the ensuing seasons, and he took the compliment and advice to heart as he pondered a post-NBA future. Since then, Harpring has tuned in to the broadcast team to learn from the pros while watching any sporting event — football, basketball or baseball.

Read the rest with the click of the link. hehepeepeecaca

David Locke earned a one-year free pass from me because he told me a funny story about Vin Baker drinking during an interview. I will not call for him to be fired until at least April of 2011.

David Locke earned a one-year free pass from me because he told me a funny story about Vin Baker drinking during an interview. I will not call for him to be fired until at least April of 2011.

I don't think Locke deserves to be fired by any means. For what I know, he's actually one of the hardest working guys in sports. I just don't like his pipes or what he says. This was more about Harpring wanting to take on broadcasting and the article, with room for me to complain about how I hate listening to Locke, especially when compared to Hot Rod. If anything, Harp could be a color replacement for Boone.

In-game color commentary, like what Boone does. I really hope your question was a joke and not serious.

Yes Archie, it was a joke.

I like Harp. I'd take him over any of the guys currently doing commentary for the Jazz. Locke is good at doing a radio show, not so much for his play-by-play. I don't know that it's a lack of pipes so much as not the right pipes for his high pitched squealing any time someone makes a basket. Besides I really do think "ga ga ew la la" is beyond inexcusable. I would expect more from a HS kid doing commentary for the varsity squad.

How about if we got rid of Bolerjack and let Boone be the main man. It'd be like Monty on Major League. "Fly ball: caught."

No doubt Locke sounds very unprofessional as an announcer, but as a Jazz fan I find him quite enjoyable to listen to.

How about if we got rid of Bolerjack and let Boone be the main man. It'd be like Monty on Major League. "Fly ball: caught."

Oh god please no. I will admit I've not heard Booner in a long time since I'm no longer in Utah, but when I lived there up '97 Boone's commentary was some of the most inane I had heard. In fact my friends and I had a drinking game for anytime Boone said something stupid or obvious during a game. Needless to say we were pretty drunk by the end of each game.

Oh god please no. I will admit I've not heard Booner in a long time since I'm no longer in Utah, but when I lived there up '97 Boone's commentary was some of the most inane I had heard. In fact my friends and I had a drinking game for anytime Boone said something stupid or obvious during a game. Needless to say we were pretty drunk by the end of each game.

Could be worse. You could be forced to listen to Coach Nissalke.

Tom%20Nissalke.jpg

I disagree. Boone is the one that has left us with some very insightful comments over the years, such as: "Jason Terry is one of those players that every year will be in the running to win rookie of the year," or, I did not know this, but "Joe Smith was the first overall pick in 1975." The best was when Boler tried to correct him about that, and Boone thought about it for a second, then still said, "no, it was 1975."

I disagree. Boone is the one that has left us with some very insightful comments over the years, such as: "Jason Terry is one of those players that every year will be in the running to win rookie of the year," or, I did not know this, but "Joe Smith was the first overall pick in 1975." The best was when Boler tried to correct him about that, and Boone thought about it for a second, then still said, "no, it was 1975."

"What's a skillet?"

Reactions: UB
You've got to love Booner when he can't finish a thought. He tries to explain something, and then totally forgets what he's saying and just goes quiet.

I'm betting Booner goes to Radio with Locke and they put Harpring on the TV broadcasts.