What's new

If We Must Lose... Let's Lose Smarter (Unleash the Brantley/Morgan)

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Look I've got a real winner idea... and its a winner in that its likely going to losing... maybe at first anyway.

I'm looking around and saying this team needs some help in the frontcourt... this team needs a little energy/defense/upside from the bench. We also need to be able to function in different offensive and defensive styles... the West is good enough that is you do your thing well there is likely a matchup or two that can beat what you do schematically even if they aren't as talented as you.

I also see Denver playing Michael Porter Jr. and he screwed up a ton on defense, but he does a handful of good things and you can see the talent there... the other stuff doesn't just get fixed in practice... needs NBA minutes. there might be someone safer on the bench, but doesn't have as much upside... like Hernangomez. It does a couple things... raises the ceiling of the team long term and also raises that young players trade value.

Soooo... lets unleash Brantley or Morgan as a backup 4 or 5. I love Niang… there are games where he shoots well and give you a boost, but when he doesn't shoot well he hurts us. Sitting him would mean losing some control and lowering the potential floor of the bench unit, but he doesn't have the athleticism or length to sniff the floor in the playoffs. We've invested roster spots in these other guys... let's use them for 5-10 games and see what is there. Will let us know if it is worth re-investing in them and if they are good it helps us or gives us a trade asset. making a small bet that may payoff big.

There is huge value in failing fast... so even if they suck and hurt us we will have an idea of if they are worth keeping around. Even if they aren't "ready" you will at least know what they need to do to get ready or if you think they will ever be ready. If they fail and you let them go and eventually they have success that sucks... but investing 2-3 years into a guy and him never panning out costs you too... you are panning for gold... get your pan in the dirt as much as you can.

Rookies making a difference on good teams or playing well/winning basketball (non-obvious division):

Kendrick Nunn
Eric Pashall
Tyler Herro
Brandon Clarke
Terence Davis
Daniel Gafford
Matisse Thybulle
Michael Porter
Chris Silva

A lot of these teams have guys that are more established and might even help them win more by playing over the rookies... but its an investment worth trying. Hell even if they don't light the world on fire they increase their trade value exponentially if they are okay/functional. Last year I think Denver could have gotten some solid stuff for cashing out on Monte Morris and Malik Beasley.

So look... it might lead to a little more losing, but we need to increase our ceiling and asset base or turn those roster spots into something more helpful. Let's lose if we need to... just lose smarter.