What's new

Impressed With Ty

GVC

Anyone else happy with what Ty's trying to do? There's an article in the Trib with a quote from Mo talking about how Ty has emphasized getting out in transition to use the Jazz wings' athleticism. He's also trying to run more stuff through Jefferson in the high post (with an assortment of cross, down, up screens, etc. on the baseline/in the paint), and giving Alec an opportunity to run the point (even with Earl and Jamaal out, he could give the ball to the more experienced vet, Foye). He seems to both understand his talent well AND know where they'll have to improve to contend.

Considering the situation he inherited when Jerry left and Deron was traded, he's done a fantastic job keeping his players disciplined and focused on the task at hand, while running sets that maximize the Jazz's chance at winning (given the talent on the roster).

eh?

I am still waiting to reserve judgement if he will do a great job. Last year I give him a pass because of the short season and lack of training camp.

But things I still worry about is his offense. Which looked horrible last year. Looked like a basic high school offense. Love that they want to run more this year. I think that is a huge step. I just hope he uses the motion offense to free people. Too much standing around last year. So we shall see.

Defense he is a upgrade over Sloan it seems.

His rotations is what scares me the most. This season Favors needs 25-30 minutes a game. If he doesn't get it Corbin should be fired. Simple as that. No excuses. Millsap and Jefferson can lower their minutes to 30 minutes. Will help with injuries also.
Kanter needs consistent minutes even if its 10 minutes a game.

I am more worried about Tinsley playing over Foye and Burks. Foye is a better shooter, defender and slasher. And Burks is already a great young player that needs playing time. If Burks doesn't get 20 minutes along with Foye getting 20 minutes than he should also be fired.

I am tired of these rotations where we play the old guys because of seniority rather than who produces on the court. Time to man up Corbin.

But things I still worry about is his offense. Which looked horrible last year. Looked like a basic high school offense.
They were 6th in offensive efficiency last season, with little help from the perimeter. Hopefully Al can learn to be effective from more spots on the court, because if he can't/doesn't, I imagine we're going to see more of the same.

I am certainly not mad with Ty.

I am looking for him to improve as well. There will be improvement on the Jazz that is not on the court. I expect for the coaching to be better this year. That should squeak out a couple more wins for them. Add that to better post play. Millsap improves every year, Al will be Al and Favors and Kanter have improved. Add to all that with better wing play. We now have more good wing defenders and better perimeter shooting. That gives Ty more options and the bigs more room to dominate.

The more I think about it the more I think that if everything clicks that the Jazz will be suprisingly good.

Post D in Favors, Midrange in Millsap, Hayward and the williams, attacking the basket in Burks and Hayward, leadership in Mo and Millsap, perimeter D in Marvin , Hayward and Foye, perimiter shooting in Foye, Mo and Marvin, post offense, a rebounding menace in Kanter...

I am getting more and more excited...

I like his attitude overall and i like that he says the right things (emphasizing defending the 3 pt shot, sending guys to the baseline instead of the middle), and its good to hear that he will try to run more.

However i think that foye is going to play alot more than burks even if foye doesn't perform (like bell last year). I know its only pre-season but in game 1 (when everyone was available) burks was the 11th guy to get in the game (he came in with evans). Carroll came in before him, foye of course, and 2 guys that are not even going to be on the roster all came in before him.

Plus favors and kanter are probably not going to play as much as i would like, so like others have said: he needs to do better in regards to rotations

You can tell watching the games there is NO plays being ran for Favors, how do we not even have any plays for his athleticism drawn up?? How can we expect the guy to get better on offense.

Too early to tell about Ty. In fact, increasing the pace of the game is a late decision of him that he should have done it before. The most curious thing will be his rotation system for me. Will he still divide the team into 2 pieces and never mix them as a group? Just starters play gather and back up players play each others? No spesific offensive sets due to strengths of players? Playing same sets over and over again as behaving all Big men are as Big Al? Try to make post up to Favors prefering than pick n rolls? Insisting on Burks to make him PG to find minutes even though it's not possible? Late time out calls after the big differences? No creativity after all time outs, just calling players come on come on and clapping? Insisting on bringing help defense to perimeter guys and not solving the getting beaten from the 3 point shooting? Not giving enough min to youngsters ( Seems Burks is gonna be killed ) No thinking of Hayward to set the tone by playing him as point forward?

Oh he's trying to run more stuff through Jeffie? Big surprise.
More in this case means different, as in different sets from different spots on the floor. He's trying to find different sets that Al can run effectively that keep defenses more honest.

You can tell watching the games there is NO plays being ran for Favors, how do we not even have any plays for his athleticism drawn up??
Because he's terrible with the ball in his hands and the Jazz don't have the guards to use him effectively in pick and roll situations.

He had a few opportunities last night:

1. Al drew defenders and hit Favors at the free throw line. There was a seam, and Favors git to the rim (I think he drew a foul).
2. Al drew defenders and hit Favors at the free throw line. Favors missed the open jumper.
3. Favors faced up and missed a jumper from the short corner. He hustled for the rebounder, did an excellent job getting by two defenders and to the rim, only to miss the layup (there seemed to be quite a bit of contact, but no foul call).

He converted on only one of those 3 easy opportunities, and shot 0-5 on the night. If he can't score on easy opportunities opened up by sets that force defenses to focus on other players, how's he going to score when the Jazz run plays that force the defense to focus on him?

From what gvc said above 1 time he got to the free throw line, another time he should have got to the line (refs missed the call) and as i recall the free throw jumper looked good and was barely off.

So looking at GVC's observations i would say they need to run more plays for favors cause those 3 plays seemed to work out pretty good.

Too early to tell about Ty. In fact, increasing the pace of the game is a late decision of him that he should have done it before. The most curious thing will be his rotation system for me. Will he still divide the team into 2 pieces and never mix them as a group? Just starters play gather and back up players play each others? No spesific offensive sets due to strengths of players? Playing same sets over and over again as behaving all Big men are as Big Al? Try to make post up to Favors prefering than pick n rolls? Insisting on Burks to make him PG to find minutes even though it's not possible? Late time out calls after the big differences? No creativity after all time outs, just calling players come on come on and clapping? Insisting on bringing help defense to perimeter guys and not solving the getting beaten from the 3 point shooting? Not giving enough min to youngsters ( Seems Burks is gonna be killed ) No thinking of Hayward to set the tone by playing him as point forward?
Almost all of these concerns are nonsensical, given what we saw last night.

1. The Jazz ran the floor often and effectively last season. They were 4th in fastbreak points per game and 6th in fastbreak efficiency.

2. Ty is trying to run more sets from the high post, some of which led to pick and roll opportunities (Al actually capitalized a couple times, Mo couldn't find passing lanes with Favors for whatever reason). Favors wasn't forced to create with his back to the basket. He was ineffective from the high post and the short corner last night (the spots where IMO he should be trying to improve), and Mo couldn't get him the ball on the couple PnRs they ran together.

3. I like running Burks at the 1. If he can become an effective halfcourt passer, his ability to get his own shot and finish at the rim would make him a much better option to run pick and rolls than the Jazz's current crop of point guards. This is ignoring that both Earl and Jamaal weren't playing last night.

4. The 3-pt defense issues are grossly exaggerated on Jazzfanz. The Jazz were 19th in per possession defense last season. They were 8th best in 3-pt field goal percentage allowed.

5. As terrible as the all scrub lineup to end the 2nd was, if the coach doesn't think any of these guys are going to make the roster, there's no point playing them with the rest. It would have been nice to see Burks or Kanter play with Favors. Oh well.

6. Minutes distribution has been incredibly even among rotation players.

7. Until Gordo can consistently hit a pull-up midrange J and/or finish at the rim in the halfcourt, he's not going to be able to be an effective point forward.

From what gvc said above 1 time he got to the free throw line, another time he should have got to the line (refs missed the call) and as i recall the free throw jumper looked good and was barely off.

So looking at GVC's observations i would say they need to run more plays for favors cause those 3 plays seemed to work out pretty good.
1 point on 3 possessions is not good.

1 point on 3 possessions is not good.

But getting to the foul line 4 times and getting an open look on 3 possessions IS good, at least i think so.

In other words, all 3 of those plays were good plays executed good... but sometimes you miss, and that happens to michael jordan and lebron james... it happens to everyone.

So i say those 3 possesions were good, but just had an unfortunate ending.

Almost all of these concerns are nonsensical, given what we saw last night.

1. The Jazz ran the floor often and effectively last season. They were 4th in fastbreak points per game and 6th in fastbreak efficiency.

2. Ty is trying to run more sets from the high post, some of which led to pick and roll opportunities (Al actually capitalized a couple times, Mo couldn't find passing lanes with Favors for whatever reason). Favors wasn't forced to create with his back to the basket. He was ineffective from the high post and the short corner last night (the spots where IMO he should be trying to improve), and Mo couldn't get him the ball on the couple PnRs they ran together.

3. I like running Burks at the 1. If he can become an effective halfcourt passer, his ability to get his own shot and finish at the rim would make him a much better option to run pick and rolls than the Jazz's current crop of point guards. This is ignoring that both Earl and Jamaal weren't playing last night.

4. The 3-pt defense issues are grossly exaggerated on Jazzfanz. The Jazz were 19th in per possession defense last season. They were 8th best in 3-pt field goal percentage allowed.

5. As terrible as the all scrub lineup to end the 2nd was, if the coach doesn't think any of these guys are going to make the roster, there's no point playing them with the rest. It would have been nice to see Burks or Kanter play with Favors. Oh well.

6. Minutes distribution has been incredibly even among rotation players.

7. Until Gordo can consistently hit a pull-up midrange J and/or finish at the rim in the halfcourt, he's not going to be able to be an effective point forward.

1- Pace the game up does not always mean fast break but getting position earlier and begining the offensive sets before opponent's defensive action. Spurs are best at this thanks to Tony Parker and Ginobili. They change so fast the tempo and pass earliest to big men or prepare for the pick n roll to get the advantage and i still have not seen any evidence for this.

2- Running more set from high post is ideal with Favors ' pick n roll instead of Al ala Rockets (Lin-Asik)

3- Playing Burks PG is like playing Hayward as spot up shooter. He does not have the insticts and game iq of PG. He is 6th man type of player to find points from getting fouls or being agressive. Set to set play, he really overcontrols himsel not to make a mistake. He is just a SG.

4- The 3 point shooting is critical for the jazz versus your idea for me. The inside and outside game must be equally dangerous and balanced to get the W when the game is tie or when the game set is so down example play off games. If not, you gotta pray for Al's 20 shot attempt escapes jazz. It also provides the space for dribblings not just post ups.

5- I do not talk about line ups. The thing i mean is he labels players not up to their speciliaties but parts of groups. Favors and Kanter gotta play gather, Mo can not play with Burks etc.

6- Minute distrubition is up to opponent and importance of the game. As we have seen from the last year, whtever youngsters give him especially in the 4th quarter, they gotten out of the game and starters gone ahead of sucking.

7- There is not any corelation of shooting well to play point forward. It's all about game iq, reading the game and having enough fundemental to make plays. For me Hayward can be more effective as being point forward than playing Burks as PG. Because he has it in his game.

But getting to the foul line 4 times and getting an open look on 3 possessions IS good, at least i think so.

In other words, all 3 of those plays were good plays executed good... but sometimes you miss, and that happens to michael jordan and lebron james... it happens to everyone.

So i say those 3 possesions were good, but just had an unfortunate ending.
Michael Jordan and Lebron James took/take much tougher shots. Favors has to be able to hit the easy ones at a better clip. 5 field goals attempts, 1 trip to the line (he only shot 2 free throws last night), a turnover and only 1 point is terrible.

Last edited:
The NBA is a players league, the coach really doesn't make that much of a difference. The players who are the most effective will probably get the most time, and before folks light me up, remember that AL is the most effective post player on the team, at least right now he is.

1- Pace the game up does not always mean fast break but getting position earlier and begining the offensive sets before opponent's defensive action. Spurs are best at this thanks to Tony Parker and Ginobili. They change so fast the tempo and pass earliest to big men or prepare for the pick n roll to get the advantage and i still have not seen any evidence for this.

2- Running more set from high post is ideal with Favors ' pick n roll instead of Al ala Rockets (Lin-Asik)

3- Playing Burks PG is like playing Hayward as spot up shooter. He does not have the insticts and game iq of PG. He is 6th man type of player to find points from getting fouls or being agressive. Set to set play, he really overcontrols himsel not to make a mistake. He is just a SG.

4- The 3 point shooting is critical for the jazz versus your idea for me. The inside and outside game must be equally dangerous and balanced to get the W when the game is tie or when the game set is so down example play off games. If not, you gotta pray for Al's 20 shot attempt escapes jazz. It also provides the space for dribblings not just post ups.

5- I do not talk about line ups. The thing i mean is he labels players not up to their speciliaties but parts of groups. Favors and Kanter gotta play gather, Mo can not play with Burks etc.

6- Minute distrubition is up to opponent and importance of the game. As we have seen from the last year, whtever youngsters give him especially in the 4th quarter, they gotten out of the game and starters gone ahead of sucking.

7- There is not any corelation of shooting well to play point forward. It's all about game iq, reading the game and having enough fundemental to make plays. For me Hayward can be more effective as being point forward than playing Burks as PG. Because he has it in his game.
1. Al is slow. Hard to get into offensive sets early when you;re waiting for a key cog to get up court. How this is Corbin;s fault is beyond me.

2. Again, who on the Jazz is going to run the pick and roll?

3. You clearly watch too much Euro ball. The NBA is filled with athletes who can close distances quickly. Burks has the athleticism and handle to leverage defenses off the bounce. Mo, Earl and Jamaal don't. Why not see if he can make decent reads in games that don't count when both your backup point guards are out of the lineup?

4. You were talking about defense. The Jazz's 3-pt defense was above average last season, even though their overall defense was below average. There are bigger fish to fry.

5. I have no clue what you're talking about.

6. ********. The Jazz starters were much more effective than the bench last season. Go and look at the +/- numbers.

7. ******** again. If Hayward can't hit the pull up, defenses will continue to go under ever screen set for him. If he can't finish at the rim, defenses won't have to overhelp against Hayward, and there won;t be any open players for him to pass to. This isn't rocket science.

The NBA is a players league, the coach really doesn't make that much of a difference. The players who are the most effective will probably get the most time, and before folks light me up, remember that AL is the most effective post player on the team, at least right now he is.
So what? Do you really think, given the current rules/the way the game is called, that post play is all that important in today's NBA?